Author Topic: Slim experiment log  (Read 3298 times)

Offline DubbedTheBeast

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Slim experiment log
« on: March 12, 2011, 03:59:17 AM »
i made a thread asking about some information on the 360 slim and neglected it a bit, and im sorry about that by the way. i just started school again after  7 years.

... But as far as this thread goes, i just managed to get my hands on a cheap slim and im going to be opening it up starting tomorrow and i am going to make a work log for all to see. ill take as many pics as i can and mark some power connections as i go. ive found some youtube videos on how to open them up and ill make a link to the best one i find. if you guys are able please try to supplement my log.

i would like to be able to keep this thread clean so any constructive ideas are good to have but please try to avoid deep discussion or things that veer off topic. i really just want to have this here for everyone's information and not building  project console.

techninjadude

Re: Slim experiment log
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 06:43:31 AM »
Put your camera on the highest quality and take photos, of every thing, thanks, man your are really helping.

Offline DubbedTheBeast

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 08:10:17 AM »
i found a great video by some kid. i have seen many but this one is the first(that i have seen so far) that shows a way to remove the chrome accents without removing the black panels below the grates. which i had already made that mistake. the black panels you see come off with the chrome is actually melded together. it's best to keep them in place. i'll be working on showing you the inside, solder points, pin outs for LEDs and the rol mods for now and i will get back with you guys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6htN8rz5_Y
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:12:22 AM by DubbedTheBeast »

Offline DubbedTheBeast

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 09:19:37 AM »
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 05:33:06 PM by DubbedTheBeast »

Offline DubbedTheBeast

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 09:54:50 AM »
i always enjoy getting some encouragement and love from my fellow modders but we really should be trying to keep this topic clean for everyone to be able to navigate it for information they may desire for their own projects. i am always open to kind words but in the future just send them as a personal message. please try to reframe from posting things that will not benefit everyone as a whole. by all means if you are able to add to the information that everyone is seeking please do so.

edited to clean the thread of unnecessary comments as requested...
-jrfhoutx
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 11:28:05 AM by jrfhoutx »

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 10:23:35 AM »
annotations are fine, in fact they can be very helpful and often times very useful. just consider placement of those annotations so that they don't block traces that people may be trying to follow...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 11:28:34 AM by jrfhoutx »
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline DubbedTheBeast

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 01:57:37 PM »
there we go i fixed the RF board pic now there is nothing hidden except by the stickers that were already there

Offline Phantom

• Club AM VIP
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +11/-1
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 04:27:58 PM »
these cannot be replaced with 0603 LEDs, they will not block the proper amount of reverse voltage and will either burn out the board or cause your console to get banned.

...what?

you get banned by replacing an LED?

i really dont think so.

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 04:52:13 PM »
these cannot be replaced with 0603 LEDs, they will not block the proper amount of reverse voltage and will either burn out the board or cause your console to get banned.

Dude an LED is an LED the only problem with replacing them 0603s is that they aren't physically big enough to reach the pads but if you used a bit of wire to make them reach they would work fine, and reverse voltage blowing the board? well you see that D in LED that stands for Diode which means it will only conduct one way, so there will never be any reverse voltage. And as for getting banned for replacing the LEDs that's just plain ridiculous, do you actually believe M$ would waste time and money adding counter LED replacement hardware and software to the xbox!? but besides that i know for a fact the rf board is not capable of reporting information about what LEDs are installed back to the motherboard.

And just to prove my point even more here is a guy doing it (really badly, but my point still stands) hes using 0805s which are just a touch bigger than 0603s, so the fit the pads better but they work exactly the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA7EruTZDMc

EDIT: but thanks for the pics anyway...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:52:50 PM by hyper999 »

Offline DubbedTheBeast

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 05:06:13 PM »
faulty electronics are detectable by the XBL servers. though i haven't heard of anyone being banned from LED mods they are very strict about opening 360 consoles and have been working on lots of ways to find out who has been changing things around and looking for patterns of how they are different. i do happen to know a tech that gives me some tips on what i should look out for and circuitry that are more than 25% off of the original signals will be detectable. this does not mean you wont be able to get away with sound reactive LEDs or any other LED mods this means if you use ones that take too much from the source or allow reverse in excess it will fault with 3 light rrod for faulty hardware and if your xbox manages to sign into XBL it automatically reports it. though if that happens to you, you should be able to replace the original LED and avoid the problem. now i didn't note it in the thread after reading it but the LED you place in the middle position should at 75 mah. that should be all you need to worry about.

and like you said really badly. the guy obviously didn't post a video of his xbox failing just a few minutes later after the LED burnt out.

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 05:22:26 PM »
faulty electronics are detectable by the XBL servers. though i haven't heard of anyone being banned from LED mods they are very strict about opening 360 consoles and have been working on lots of ways to find out who has been changing things around and looking for patterns of how they are different. i do happen to know a tech that gives me some tips on what i should look out for and circuitry that are more than 25% off of the original signals will be detectable. this does not mean you wont be able to get away with sound reactive LEDs or any other LED mods this means if you use ones that take too much from the source or allow reverse in excess it will fault with 3 light rrod for faulty hardware and if your xbox manages to sign into XBL it automatically reports it. though if that happens to you, you should be able to replace the original LED and avoid the problem. now i didn't note it in the thread after reading it but the LED you place in the middle position should at 75 mah. that should be all you need to worry about.

and like you said really badly. the guy obviously didn't post a video of his xbox failing just a few minutes later after the LED burnt out.

1. the guy didn't post a video of his xbox failing because it simply didn't happen. the chances of it pulling a 3rrod after replacing the led is about the same as it sprouting wings, killing your dog and then spontaneously combusting. the signals between the RF board and the motherboard have been researched to great extent, if it was to report current and voltage readings from the LEDs (which is just plain stupid) we would know about it. And why on earth would they send information about the leds to XBL if they wanted your console to rrod after changing LEDs they would do it locally just like any other RROD error.

2. LEDs will never cause reverse voltage they prevent it BECAUSE THEY ARE DIODES.

3. drawing to much current will not cause RROD because M$ are monitoring your current usage, it will occur because the PSU cuts out when overloaded.

4. you are an idiot.

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 05:31:35 PM »
omg this cracks me up lmao. You can do pretty much anything to your xbox and xbox live/ microsoft can careless. (except firmware mods)

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 05:36:49 PM »
also,

1.5. if the current and voltage not being within 25% makes the system RROD, then why when there is no led, therefore there is no current flowing, therefore the reading is 100% out, does it still work?

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 10:44:28 PM »
OK guys, can we leave the arguments and analysis out of this one please? I don't care who's wrong and who's right, DubbedTheBeast is providing us some pretty good pics of the slim's boards and internals that we did not have before, can we please just leave it at that? I really don't want to have to discipline anyone over such a ridiculous argument. it's already been requested that we leave this to strictly pics and general info and leave out the arguing and clutter.

4. you are an idiot.

This was absolutely unnecessary and uncalled for, you should all know better. If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all... (and don't argue this point with me either.)

DubbedTheBeast, I'm sorry, please repost your pics and continue to post whatever you find and think is helpful to the community.
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 12:07:12 AM »
Diodes can pass voltage Both ways if the circuit is built correctly. Its a phenomenon that you have to take in account when dealing with high speed frequencies because the diode is "infinite" resistance one way but a "short" another way. It looks like infinite resistance to DC... You may be able to pass a few micro coulombs of electrons in reverse because the diode's P-N junction is not perfect... its not a perfect world...

I just wanted to prove you wrong hyper... but you're right for the most part.

you will pass a few hundred to a thousand electrons in reverse bias in certain occasions.

For microsoft you monitor their systems will take circuitry that will cost more than the product itself... so theres no point in banning people for a silly LED mod.... its your property you do what you want with it... why would they care if you're gonna take the risk of breaking it and Buying a New One.

They WANT you do break it and buy a new one because thats more money for them!!!!!

But its all good DubbedTheBeast you learn something everyday

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal