Author Topic: Hyper999 needs a new multimeter.  (Read 2340 times)

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
Hyper999 needs a new multimeter.
« on: March 24, 2011, 09:27:41 AM »
Ok my multimeter is screwed, but it was only cheap, so im gonna buy a new one.

This time im gonna buy a better quality one, but...

How much should i spend?

What should i be looking for in a multimeter?

But i must be able to order it from farnell preferably tonight.

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
Re: Hyper999 needs a new multimeter.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 10:45:15 AM »
If you really want a nice meter, get a fluke. they have tons of add ons you can get for them, but they're outrageously expensive... personally I'd recommend finding one with auto-ranging, recording and data hold.

auto-ranging means not having to pick between Mohms, Kohms, or kV, V, etc. (except maybe mV or uV) you just pick the ohms or volts setting and it'll display what the range is.

recording can be infinitely helpful, connect your meter, hit record and pick min or max and as you go through hitting points it will hold the highest or lowest reading that you come across, find a higher one? well that's the new reading it will display, so it changes as you find higher or lower points than the last one displayed.

datahold is helpful sometimes, basically I like to use it so I don't forget voltages or ohm readings. take your reading and while it's still displayed on screen hit data-h and it keeps that reading up on the displayeven if you remove the probes from what you're working on...

other than that I'd say a wide range of functions (Amps, Volts, Ohms, diode tester, continuity tester, AC/DC) is the best thing to look for. Oh, yeah, and an auto off feature is really nice too, that way you don't kill your batteries...

this is the meter I got went I went to mechanics school, it's labeled "blue point" (which is the 'low end' snap-on branding) but it's actually a basic auto-ranging Fluke meter that's just re-branded for snap-on. I was required to have one before starting school and this was the one they were selling and it was actually comparably priced at $100 (it was actually about $20 cheaper than the fluke version at the time)

the range button turns off auto-ranging and lets me select the range if I want to...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:46:38 AM by jrfhoutx »
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 11:03:16 AM »
I would go with a Tenma that is in your price range:

click me

autoranging features are nice, but there is really is not reason for spending much more then $20-$30 if you dont mind selecting your ranges manually.

most have capacitance meters and temperature probe reading capabilities nowadays (even the cheapos)

you will pay more for %1 accuracy models, but its unnessecary most of the time.

If there was anything worth paying more for, it would be a USB interface.  My current meter has RS232 interface which is also really helpful, but is not available much anymore.  my current meter was around $80 from radio shack, but I am almost positive it was a rebranded Tenma.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 11:04:18 AM by 802Chives »

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 11:47:59 AM »
Ok tenma seems to be the only brand in my price range, flukes are way to expensive for me, and auto ranging isn't important to me

http://uk.farnell.com/tenma/72-7725/multimeter-digital/dp/7430582

http://uk.farnell.com/tenma/72-7720/multimeter-digital/dp/7430574

http://uk.farnell.com/tenma/72-7925/multimeter-digital/dp/9183663

this is my short list although they all look the same to me, apart from the price :S so anyone else see any differences? also opinions?

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 02:39:54 PM »
my favorite meter is a fluke 115 true RMS DMM usually priced at $150 because its not loaded down with features I don't normally use. (thats what my new tektronic digital o-scope is for)

pretty much any true rms meters are good enough to

This is your best pick: http://uk.farnell.com/tenma/72-7725/multimeter-digital/dp/7430582

Tenma and Sperry have the best analog meters in my opinion.

Greenlee and Fluke have the best digital meters in my opinion.

Workers and technicians will tell you what their most favorite test equipment brand is because it is the most reliable and thats is most definitely true.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 02:53:02 PM »
well i would love a fluke, but i dont have £100-£700 to drop on one. so, i'm gonna get the tenma.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal