Author Topic: DVD drive wont open  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Dcofer

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +1/-1
  • Acidmods User
DVD drive wont open
« on: April 06, 2011, 11:15:25 PM »
I revently fixed an xbox for a buddy at school and he said he bought it off of craigslist with rrod.  I fixed it and it runs now however the dvd drive seems to bee seized closed and will not open, I opened the drive and the laser moves and the disk would spin, but the drive doesnt attempt to open.  Is there anything I can do to fix this? even if it means making you open the drive manually it would be better.

Xbox 360 gamertag: EMERGENCY DODO
PS3 gamertag: Emergency_Dodo

Offline toadzilla

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +132/-0
  • something something Tech support
Re: DVD drive wont open
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:41:21 PM »
maybe the dude of craigs list glued the rom closed to make his money

Offline Dcofer

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +1/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 01:11:05 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised, this is why I test everything before I pay for it off craigslist.  His loss, hes still gotta pay me for fixing the rrod haha, depending on how much he paid for it he would have been better gettin a used workign one off ebay  :dntknw:.  Its irritating though that I go through all this work and get it working then boom something I dun have the know how to fix shows up without any heads up. If he decides to let me keep it instead of payin for the fix i might use it as a jtag experiment.

Offline toadzilla

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +132/-0
  • something something Tech support
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 06:33:04 AM »
u could always open the cd rom up and see if that is the problem try running a knife on the outter sides to get rid of the glue just my idea

Offline falo21

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +1/-1
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 07:33:50 AM »
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:35:07 AM by falo21 »

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 08:07:17 AM »
I revently fixed an xbox for a buddy at school and he said he bought it off of craigslist with rrod.  I fixed it and it runs now however the dvd drive seems to bee seized closed and will not open, I opened the drive and the laser moves and the disk would spin, but the drive doesnt attempt to open.  Is there anything I can do to fix this? even if it means making you open the drive manually it would be better.
Use a Paper Clip and manually open it. The drive wont open due to so much dirt and crap stuck in it. then once you get it open you need to clean the rubber ban. If its RROD , your going to take it apart anyway, so clean the entire xbox out, can air.

You can just rinse the Rubber band off with cold water using your fingers.

DO NOT SPRAY CAN AIR IN TO DVD DRIVE WILL HURT THE LASER!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 08:10:00 AM by Rodent »

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
  • im not in the ass kissing team
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 08:39:21 AM »
do not use can of air anyway use a low powered vac if you use air drops can come out spraying all over your xbox

just take the drive out take the top off and clean the rails ect
come to the rite place if you kiss admins as they promote you to admin.

Offline Dcofer

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +1/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 12:33:55 PM »
Use a Paper Clip and manually open it. The drive wont open due to so much dirt and crap stuck in it. then once you get it open you need to clean the rubber ban. If its RROD , your going to take it apart anyway, so clean the entire xbox out, can air.

You can just rinse the Rubber band off with cold water using your fingers.

DO NOT SPRAY CAN AIR IN TO DVD DRIVE WILL HURT THE LASER!

Unfortunately this particular drive doesnt have that wonderful feature  :angry: , the other one I fixed did but it seems that they removed that in some of the models of the 360 which is really lame.  if there is a way to bypass this in the drives without this feature that would be awesome.

I currently have the drive disassembled and everything seems to move ok except right up at the front where the motor is (which appears to be to be locked closed so It wont pull out).  I will try and run a knife or something around those areas and see if it is indeed blocked by a bunch of crap.  hopefully it is a simple problem like that, if it was one of the newer drive I would just cut a window and hold the disc in with just the magnet but this ones guide is implanted in the roof of the drive >.>

Thanks for the tips, when I get home from campus I will give them a shot hopefully with some success.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:37:59 PM by Dcofer »

techninjadude

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 01:00:12 PM »
Does it open?
 do you have to do it manually from the dashboard?.

If that the case, its probably the button, Iv'e seen this before.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 03:06:39 PM »
Unfortunately this particular drive doesnt have that wonderful feature  :angry: , the other one I fixed did but it seems that they removed that in some of the models of the 360 which is really lame.  if there is a way to bypass this in the drives without this feature that would be awesome.

I currently have the drive disassembled and everything seems to move ok except right up at the front where the motor is (which appears to be to be locked closed so It wont pull out).  I will try and run a knife or something around those areas and see if it is indeed blocked by a bunch of crap.  hopefully it is a simple problem like that, if it was one of the newer drive I would just cut a window and hold the disc in with just the magnet but this ones guide is implanted in the roof of the drive >.>

Thanks for the tips, when I get home from campus I will give them a shot hopefully with some success.

They should all have a spot where you can manually eject the dvd drive! samsung, toshibia, hitatchi , benq and the lite-on all have a way to manually eject it. take the face cover off there or 3 different spots, search google for it, it can be manually opened.

Here I googled it for you:
http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/manual_eject_xbox_360_dvd.htm

New xbox 360 slim
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906935
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 03:10:41 PM by Rodent »

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Dcofer

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +1/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 04:30:20 PM »
I agree with you that they all should haha I will check your link out now while im waiting for class.  Also I will take pics of the drive and point out where the manual open should be but isnt (atleast on this drive, might be missing the spot for this model, never though Id be hoping to be proven wrong haha).

Sounds like the guy only wants the xbox back if I can fix the dvd drive so I might have a test box for mods, sweet haha.

EDIT: Interesting interesting , I do indeed see that I verry well might be looking in the wrong spot for my drive, now I dun wanna wait til 6:30 when I get home to test out he other spots on the images.  why couldnt I fond useful shtuff liek that when I was searching >.< haha thanks for that link to llama I totally forgot about that site >.>
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:35:09 PM by Dcofer »

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 05:20:51 PM »
Glad I found you what you needed, and in my search for you. I learned how to open the xbox slim model buy looking at the same time, learned something new everyday, thats what makes life great :tup:

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Dcofer

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +1/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 06:30:32 PM »
yup indeed I was looking fr the manual eject on the different model of drive >.> haha so now I am able to open the drive manually, thank you Rodent for those links   :tup: and to everyone else who helped out.  Good good ima glad you didnt waste your time just to help me out haha.

i still might use some of the advice to figure out how to get the drive to open on its own now.  I can manually open it and it closes on its own and reads discs but just wont open so ima try and clan the drive like a few of you suggested.

Again thanks a bunch, this is why I come back to this forum, eventually solve all my issues  :#1:  also until I get it to open on its own all suggestions will be weighed an tried if reasonable so keep em coming.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 06:35:51 PM »
yup indeed I was looking fr the manual eject on the different model of drive >.> haha so now I am able to open the drive manually, thank you Rodent for those links   :tup: and to everyone else who helped out.  Good good ima glad you didnt waste your time just to help me out haha.

i still might use some of the advice to figure out how to get the drive to open on its own now.  I can manually open it and it closes on its own and reads discs but just wont open so ima try and clan the drive like a few of you suggested.

Again thanks a bunch, this is why I come back to this forum, eventually solve all my issues  :#1:  also until I get it to open on its own all suggestions will be weighed an tried if reasonable so keep em coming.

Clean the rubber band also, that should solve the problem, just with water, cold or luke warm rubbing it with your fingers

Glad I could help. and thats why i stay with AM you get more answer then searching sometimes . good luck !
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 06:36:59 PM by Rodent »

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Dcofer

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +1/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 07:49:53 PM »
Clean the rubber band also, that should solve the problem, just with water, cold or luke warm rubbing it with your fingers

This worked perfect along with dusting the crap off like others suggested so if you have a temperamental drive try these techniques first, real easy to do and save a lot of headaches.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal