Author Topic: umd drive port mod potential?  (Read 2569 times)

Offline galaxy3arth

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • ninja
umd drive port mod potential?
« on: April 19, 2011, 09:13:11 AM »
in principle the umd port is a fast in put into the psp with its own power supply.
the psp could there for be recoded to use the umd port for other purposes, such as with the previous touch screen project there was a secondary chip in that case a attiny84 to convert the touch screen signal to a sio signal for the sio port (which is slow and over complicated), if the umd port is used this is nolonger needed , because the touch screen could be hooked up  directly to some of the ports and the power source. then the psp can do the conversion of the data to a compatible format.
the only programing needed is psp programing to hook the umd drive prot and the conversion of the data(much faster than the sio port and less complicated).

based on this principle other things are also possible for instance to attach a solid state hard drive, other storage devices, (this is a stretch) expanding the ram(it is fast enough), a better resolution camera, a second controller.

any thing that is purely input for the psp.

just ideas on the applications of the port since I removed my umd drive.

give any input on this.

I would like to know what you guys think and if I design some thing to use it if I will have programing support. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 09:12:08 AM by galaxy3arth »

Offline galaxy3arth

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • ninja
Re: umd drive port mod potential
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:56:11 AM »
I would like replys and input so I know if its even a worthwhile venture

Offline Crumbz

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
  • Networking & Database Administrator
    • www.asagia.net (Coming Soon!)
Re: umd drive port mod potential?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 11:05:18 AM »
Umm... i wasnt going to say anything before cuz it's not my field of expertise but a psp is a slave device and cannot use a harddrive as a memory device because a harddrive requires a driver and a master device to control it (Ex: PC or Mac or laptop) so even if you did get it hooked up with power and all that the psp would never read it (so far as i know)

their was a post about this sort of thing... where was it?

there ya go i found it!

https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,26574.0.html

your idea might be possible but would take a very long time and lots of effort to copy on another psp.

Minecraft Server (Online)
Name: Asagia Realm's
Address: mc.asagia.net:65156

Offline galaxy3arth

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • ninja
Re: umd drive port mod potential?
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 09:08:21 AM »
yeah I geuss your right we dont know how all of the psp works

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal