Author Topic: WIP: "ModernTek" Custom Laptop  (Read 4765 times)

Offline ModernTek

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Acidmods User
WIP: "ModernTek" Custom Laptop
« on: April 25, 2011, 06:47:42 AM »
Hello Acidmodders

I haven't been active for a while now but, I wanted to share this with someone other then my family that has nothing other to say then "what is the point"  :boxed:

I recently bought a Gateway W350a with an overheating issue and messed up LCD screen. As I was repairing it, to resell, I decided that I wanted to keep it and mod it. Why? this laptop... idk ... haha.

I will be on later to post more pictures and details on my plans... got to get to second period.

Any ideas are welcomed and appreciated...highly appreciated.

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Blogs & Media Editor-In-Chief
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
  • Within my shadows there are no sins
Re: WIP: "ModernTek" Custom Laptop
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 07:57:47 AM »
"Ice silver" paint job.

Blue and white LEDs.

Give it a cool theme to help that overheating.

XDD

-TwisT

Offline ModernTek

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 05:21:16 AM »
Okay,

So I want to "black out" the laptop. The keyboard will be black, the LCD cover will be black, the palmrest will be black, all of it will be black. I also want to cut out "ModernTek" on the LCD cover and put fading LEDs on it.

I know a guy that said he would paint everything and cut out "ModernTek" on the LCD cover with his waterjet... the thing is he wants $425... which isn't alot but for a high school kid with a $400 car payment $425 is alot. We will see... I get paid friday :)

What do you guys think?

Anyone know a good way to put a backlight on a laptop keyboard... I really really would like to put a backlight on this laptop.

"Ice silver" paint job.

Blue and white LEDs.

Give it a cool theme to help that overheating.

XDD

-TwisT

Not a bad idea... hahahaha
Maybe MS should try that with the 360.... to bad your not on there R&D team.

I was thinking about using blue or white LEDs but, with an all black paint job or a black with blue accent paint job.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 06:02:38 AM »
The best thing you could do is paint it your self and use stencils to cut the "ModernTek" logo out, stencils are cheap and so is painting it yourself, and when the work is all done and someone ask who made that for you, You can say I did it myself, Time is money, you have the time to do it, and  might take some time to cut the lettering out and preping it and painting it , but the reward that you did it yourself is priceless.

something to think about

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 06:58:44 AM »
The best thing you could do is paint it your self and use stencils to cut the "ModernTek" logo out, stencils are cheap and so is painting it yourself, and when the work is all done and someone ask who made that for you, You can say I did it myself, Time is money, you have the time to do it, and  might take some time to cut the lettering out and preping it and painting it , but the reward that you did it yourself is priceless.

something to think about

agreed.

techninjadude

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 07:54:30 AM »
Paint Job and Led Swap, Dont sell it because its not well known and its obsolete piece of tech.
If you want give it a upgrade.

Offline Crumbz

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
  • Networking & Database Administrator
    • www.asagia.net (Coming Soon!)
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 09:39:56 AM »
you should do the black with ice blue designs on it and the LED's under the "ModernTek" part should be either ice blue like the rest or fading ultraviolet.

would look sweet. and would do it on my laptop but allas i dont have a laptop.... yet....

Minecraft Server (Online)
Name: Asagia Realm's
Address: mc.asagia.net:65156

Offline ModernTek

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 10:17:29 PM »
The only problem I would have with doing it myself is the fact that cutting out lettering perfectly is almost impossible without a cnc type machine. I really really want this done right and I know I can't cut this out right. I can paint it but I don't want to risk messing up a $300 lcd cover. I'm going to be doing all the lighting and any other mods I can think of myself... I'm just getting some help with the cuts and paint.

I 100% agree on the do it yourself when you can... but sometimes you just can't. Other times it's going to take up more time and effort and probably won't look as good.

Another add on... is there any way to cut out plexi inserts like that by hand? If so I might actually think about doing this all by hand.

Offline Crumbz

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
  • Networking & Database Administrator
    • www.asagia.net (Coming Soon!)
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 10:26:37 PM »
yeah you can cut them with a scroll saw. you just have to use good plastic and have lots of spare blades on hand lol. and cut them just slightly larger then the hole so you can get a snug fit.

Minecraft Server (Online)
Name: Asagia Realm's
Address: mc.asagia.net:65156

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 02:33:49 AM »
The only problem I would have with doing it myself is the fact that cutting out lettering perfectly is almost impossible without a cnc type machine. I really really want this done right and I know I can't cut this out right. I can paint it but I don't want to risk messing up a $300 lcd cover. I'm going to be doing all the lighting and any other mods I can think of myself... I'm just getting some help with the cuts and paint.

I 100% agree on the do it yourself when you can... but sometimes you just can't. Other times it's going to take up more time and effort and probably won't look as good.

Another add on... is there any way to cut out plexi inserts like that by hand? If so I might actually think about doing this all by hand.

You will never know if you can, untill you try, If you are worried about not gettting it cut out right , then practice on something , plexiglass,  or other type of plastic, thats the same thickness, practice makes perfect. as for a cnc machine...yea they are great for certain things, but $425 bucks is alot of money to pay someone when it probably only going to take them a half hour to draw the design up on the computer and set it up in the machine and cut it out.

1/2 hour if hes a guy like myself and works to get the job done, maybe a hour tops. yea he has the machine, which cost alot , the machines paid for all ready.

Its your money and now days money dont come easy, and goes fast you said it yourself

Okay,

I know a guy that said he would paint everything and cut out "ModernTek" on the LCD cover with his waterjet... the thing is he wants $425... which isn't alot but for a high school kid with a $400 car payment $425 is alot. We will see... I get paid friday :)

What do you guys think?

this is my thought , trying to save you some money and I have the confidence in you that you could do this yourself.

as for cutting the plexiglas to put under the lettering you can cut it with a exacto blade and straight edge (ruler) and will cut it fine, score it with exacto a couple of times it should snap clean break.

Dont doubt yourself till you try, if you want PM me or i will check back and help you along the way if needed.

Good luck, give yourself the chance to prove it to yourself that you can accomplish anything if you put your mind to it.

Theres no such thing as I can't.  You Can Do This!!!

EDIT: use .093 thickness on the plexiglas, I think that is the thinest you can get it and will work great.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:53:37 AM by Rodent »

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline ModernTek

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 09:16:15 AM »
What a long weekend. How was your weekend guys?

I just got done ordering the nicest case I could find on ebay for this laptop. I've decided to have my friend cut the cover. I've also decided to go with an all black semi-gloss paint theme with either green or white LEDs.

I may also attempt to add a backlight to the keyboard...

I will be waiting for the parts and dropping them of for the fab and paint the following business day. Pics will be posted of the cover when I receive it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal