Author Topic: Questions about replacing parts of the DS Lite  (Read 1412 times)

Offline LieutenantPie

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Semi-inexperienced, slightly ambitious modder
Questions about replacing parts of the DS Lite
« on: April 27, 2011, 07:35:27 PM »
I have a couple questions about this.

1. Is it even possible to replace the processors? I found several ARM9 and ARM7 chips, but I don't know if the ones in the DS Lite are just like normal ones and can be replaced.

2. What are the chips clocked at? I couldn't find any results.

3. Would just a normal, metal antenna (just attached to the housing) improve the signal of local wireless and wi-fi? And if not, what would improve the signal that's portable?

4. What about other things like the mobile RAM? Can it be replaced with something insane like a RAM stick (2GB)?

Thanks in advance for answering these questions. I was mostly curious, but if at all possible, I'll try incorporating them into my mod.

Offline Crumbz

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
  • Networking & Database Administrator
    • www.asagia.net (Coming Soon!)
Re: Questions about replacing parts of the DS Lite
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 11:57:00 PM »
well the ram and the processors are built onto the board cuz its cheaper so unless you get the right parts and have super mad cow soldering skills then no those are not possible. and even if you did get them in there's a chance that the firmware of the ds wouldn't be able to use them.

So no i wouldn't recommend even attempting to try this cuz then your just wasting a good DS.

as for the wifi antenna. extra metal on the antenna may help but not much.

i'll Google the CPU Speed of the DS. i should find something...

here you go: Copied from www.toptenreviews.com

(Performance:

There’s a lot going on with the Nintendo DSi so it’s a good thing that the brains upgraded to meet the new demands. Processor speed has been doubled, compared to the DS, to 133MHz and RAM is up to 16MB, four times that of its predecessor. You might think that would result in remarkably snappier performance but in practice it just keeps up with the added capabilities. There are 256MB if on board storage which can be upgraded with up to a 2GB Micro SD card or a 32GB SDHC card.)

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 11:59:26 PM by TwistedMind33 »

Minecraft Server (Online)
Name: Asagia Realm's
Address: mc.asagia.net:65156

Offline LieutenantPie

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Semi-inexperienced, slightly ambitious modder
Re: Questions about replacing parts of the DS Lite
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 08:03:41 PM »
Thanks! That was pretty helpful. I think I'll just keep my mod simple. Antenna, sound reactive rumble and LEDs, and put it inside DSiXL for bigger screens and more physical space inside.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal