Author Topic: Sony hit with first PSN lawsuit  (Read 4646 times)

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
  • im not in the ass kissing team
Sony hit with first PSN lawsuit
« on: April 29, 2011, 02:03:48 PM »

News has it that a one of the first lawsuits about the recent hack of the psn has made its news to the net today

This news comes a day after Sony acknowledged that the personal information of its PlayStation Network customers has been compromised, with their names, addresses, e-mail addresses, birthdays, passwords, and possibly credit card numbers, was obtained illegally by an "unauthorized person." all your info but could not take the cvv code as that was on a different server that only sony can get to.

Cnet reports that the lawsuit was filed on behalf of Kristopher Johns, 36, of Birmingham, Ala., in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. Johns accuses Sony of not taking
"reasonable care to protect, encrypt, and secure the private and sensitive data of its users."

Johns also believes Sony did not take
"reasonable care to protect, encrypt, and secure the private and sensitive data of its users"
that prevented PSN users from being able
"to make an informed decision as to whether to change credit card numbers, close the exposed accounts, check their credit reports, or take other mitigating actions."

Cnet reports that The lawsuit is asking for monetary compensation and free credit card monitoring, similar to the sentiments of Connecticut Senator Richard Blumenthal, who wrote a concerned letter to Jack Tretton of SCEA yesterday. Blumenthal called for Sony to provide PSN users with financial data security services, including free access to credit reporting services for two years to protect against identity theft and sufficient insurance to protect them from the possible financial consequences of the breach.

will this lead to other lawsuits or will sony get them selfs out of this one again since members was told all account info was on a encrypted server.

credits to twistedmind
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 06:11:27 AM by whitetop »
come to the rite place if you kiss admins as they promote you to admin.

Offline Crumbz

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
  • Networking & Database Administrator
    • www.asagia.net (Coming Soon!)
Re: Sony hit with first PSN lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 02:11:32 PM »
i find it kinda funny cuz i said they'd get sued for that! lol!

Minecraft Server (Online)
Name: Asagia Realm's
Address: mc.asagia.net:65156

Offline Sammy

• BST BAN
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +15/-1
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 02:54:06 PM »
Wow thats a great idea ima go sue them to! lol

Toad: Sam, You sound like your stoned out of your mind lol
Me: :D

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 03:21:11 PM »
lololololol it was inevitable.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline Crumbz

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 06:17:23 PM »
well if they had truly cared enough about their customers credit card numbers then they would have taken more care to ensure that they would remain secure.

so i hope it costs them a S*** load of money in court fee's cuz it's their own d*** fault.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 06:18:06 PM by TwistedMind33 »

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Blogs & Media Editor-In-Chief
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
  • Within my shadows there are no sins
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 07:12:32 PM »
What a shame, I didn't see this had been posted. I just finished an article on it. =/ Oh well. The world will never know my funny comments I suppose... O_O I may put them on my new Blog. Bwaha

-TwisT

Offline EasyE

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +2/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 03:03:17 AM »
They deserve it.  They should have seen this coming.

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 06:09:02 AM »
this was only due to :censored: hotz being a big heat trying to hack the ps3 if he never tryed none of this would have happened this is why 50% of the blame off real psn member ( not hacked console members) blame hotz for all of this and they got my vote.

twist add what you can

plus xbox fans need to be careful as rumors for 3 days state live is on its way to get hacked.that will be good to read lol.

Offline jacobia jacob

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • come at me bro
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 08:02:26 AM »
where did you hear that bit about live being hacked?

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 08:57:17 AM »
first off man hotz was not the one who we should blame. it was a independent hacker who used a dev firmware to crack dev servers. he then collected all the info in there servers. ie account info. If you read some IRC logs, this hacker then told sony he would give the info hack to then if they would return certain features to ps3. (prob OtherOS), sony did not reply. Next thing you know the dam servers are offline.

also about the live thing,in not quite sure about that "attack" but it had nothing to do with the recent ps3 attacks. but did you guys hear that all xbox were unbanned? it was a glitch that occurred some days ago, those who had jtags were rebanned, but at least those who are legit can now play again. were that the glitch occurred while this is happening with the ps3 right?

Offline Crumbz

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 09:04:53 AM »
The reason that PSN got hacked wasn't because of GeoHot but because of another group of people who made a CFW for the PS3 called "ReBug".

It essentially allowed the PS3 to become a Dev system. and because of that someone discovered the flaw in the PSN system and was able with the ReBug CFW to make a hack to achieve access to the credit card numbers and info for them of all the people who had used their credit card on their site.
(myself included)

So the real blame lies with the makers of the ReBug program which was made before GeoHot was even on the so called "Scene"

And as for the X-Box thing it is possible that with the same CFW  the person who hacked the PSN could in theory hack the X-Box live and return permissions to banned users.

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 02:25:17 PM »
The reason that PSN got hacked wasn't because of GeoHot but because of another group of people who made a CFW for the PS3 called "ReBug".

It essentially allowed the PS3 to become a Dev system. and because of that someone discovered the flaw in the PSN system and was able with the ReBug CFW to make a hack to achieve access to the credit card numbers and info for them of all the people who had used their credit card on their site.
(myself included)

So the real blame lies with the makers of the ReBug program which was made before GeoHot was even on the so called "Scene"

And as for the X-Box thing it is possible that with the same CFW  the person who hacked the PSN could in theory hack the X-Box live and return permissions to banned users.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/712160/hackers-rebug-ps3-program-not-responsible-for-psn-security-failure/

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 03:36:54 PM »
TwistedMind33

geo is to blame if he never was big headed and posted about his stuff and stayed hidden like lots of real hackers which he is not he would not have had this happen to him and due to annoy doing this hack and giving info on hidden irc room the psn would not have been hacked by a real hacker.

xbox live is being hacked you will get info about this if you know were to look and not on qj.net.

so back on topic as we should i hope the guy don't win but in a way hope sony :censored:s them self and get off the ass and pay good money to encrypt the servers better
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 04:18:58 PM by whitetop »

Offline Crumbz

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 03:57:56 PM »
well i guess i stand corrected

Offline jacobia jacob

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • come at me bro
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 02:16:40 PM »
feel free to pm me a link to this magic xbl hacking information, until i see proof or some kind of worklog i'm calling bs. what would the incentive there be?

Offline Crumbz

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 04:45:37 PM »
feel free to pm me a link to this magic xbl hacking information, until i see proof or some kind of worklog i'm calling bs. what would the incentive there be?

what was the incentive for hacking the PlayStation Network? Truthfully? They don't really need one except that they get the chance to potentially have access to peoples credit card numbers and other information.

It's as simple as that.

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 05:01:24 PM »
and the access to millions of identities and cause the company embarrassment and to make money by shorting the stock as an event like this causes the stock price to usually fall

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline Crumbz

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 05:04:59 PM »
Yes and that too.

Well as long as there's money in it for the hackers then they will continue to hack s*** until their either caught and go to jail for it or until they suck all the money out of the internet completely.

Offline jacobia jacob

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • come at me bro
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 07:55:20 PM »
i suppose this is true. i'd still like a link to this super secret xbl hacking information though:D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal