Author Topic: Microsoft Now Own's Skype!  (Read 3502 times)

Offline Crumbz

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
  • Networking & Database Administrator
    • www.asagia.net (Coming Soon!)
Microsoft Now Own's Skype!
« on: May 10, 2011, 08:48:11 PM »
One of the worlds largest free online audio and video chat services is now owned by corporate giant Microsoft.

As of yesterday Tony Bates (CEO of Skype) agreed to sell Skype and all it's divisions and servers to the corporate giant Microsoft for a whopping $8.5 Billion USD!

Skype, one of the top applications on Apple's iPhone and on smartphones powered by Google's Android software, has some 170 million users who will now be able to "Skype" using Windows-powered phones or even Xbox game consoles. (Good news for you X-Box Gamers!)

Former CEO of Skype as been appointed President of the Microsoft Skype Division. Also Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer said in a statement "Skype is a phenomenal service that is loved by millions of people around the world, and together we will create the future of real-time communications so people can easily stay connected to family, friends, clients and colleagues anywhere in the world."
Also apparently Skype users will be able to make low-cost or free telephone calls using their computers or Skype enabled smartphones.

It seems that this may have been a very good strategy move on Microsoft's part because over the past few years Microsoft's Bing search engine has been no match for Google and also Microsoft's Windows powered devices have been losing sales to Apple's iPhone.

Questions:

1. So is this to be a major turning point for Microsoft products now that they have full right's to the software?

2. Will the Skype app remain on the Apple iPhone now that it's under Microsoft's control?

3. Will Microsoft be adding a registration fee of sorts?

4. Could this be an omen that the X-Box 720 is closer then expected?

Once again, I guess we will have to wait and see...

- TwistedMind33
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 08:58:38 PM by TwisTtheTwiTcH »

Minecraft Server (Online)
Name: Asagia Realm's
Address: mc.asagia.net:65156

Offline Monk3y

• Amateur Modder
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: Microsoft Now Own's Skype!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 09:03:14 PM »
Very interesting and amazing how just one program can turn you into a billionaire XD

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 10:24:29 PM »
in there press release they said they would continue to develop the platform on other operating systems and devices as well as bring it to new devices such as the xbox 360 with connect

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
  • im not in the ass kissing team
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 08:45:45 AM »
and i see us paying for the free pc-pc soon no way on saying we will not as we all know microsoft are all about making more money they need.

plus will not be on the new xbox as they use there own service.
come to the rite place if you kiss admins as they promote you to admin.

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 09:48:25 AM »
1 - I doubt it, M$ will :censored: it up like they do nearly everything else...

2 - if M$ is all about making money, then I don't see why not, on that basis removing it from apple devices would be a horrible decision...

3 - I hope not, if they do remove free service then they will lose a large amount of users (me included) and a new free service would most likely crop up and take it's place...

4 - I wouldn't say that, but it would be a welcome addition to the services already integrated into XBL. The chat services on XBL are nice, but it would be even nicer to be able to access skype on the 360. lets hope it makes it onto the 360 (which if owned by M$ then it most likely will eventually) and doesn't get held out until their next gen console...
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 08:02:52 PM »
they would probably have something called "Skype Live" sooner or later.

"DEVELOPERS
DEVELOPERS
DEVELOPERS"

-Steve Balmer

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline katbugante

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 01:20:33 AM »
I guess this was inevitable. I just hope that the free account will not be removed. Keeping my fingers crossed. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal