Author Topic: Windows 8 tablet OS  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Bonz

• I'm Back Baby
  • Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +3/-1
  • 2 1337 4 u
    • Bonznumber1
Windows 8 tablet OS
« on: June 27, 2011, 05:49:59 PM »

As we all know Google Android has been having an identity crisis in the tablet world.  But now Windows 8 has emerged as an attractive, albeit still distant, alternative.

By the time Windows 8 tablets hit the market in 2012, Microsoft will have had ample time to analyze the initial missteps of the Android platform, not to mention its own unimpressive attempts at "slate" operating systems over the years. Generally speaking, Microsoft may miss with the first few whacks at something new but they're usually good at eventually nailing an operating environment. If only because of their tenacity. They will persevere for years, even decades, until they get it right.

If you remember correctly about 10 years ago Bill Gates infamously predicated at the Comdex trade show in Las Vegas that "the tablet would become the most popular form of PC within five years...The size of a legal notepad and half the weight of most of today's laptop PCs  Now he was a little off on the time (8 years not 5) and forget about the whole PC thing then he was right! look at the ipad.

Windows 8 may be a watershed, however. Thanks to Apple, Microsoft now has a much better idea of what a tablet should be. And tablets are large-screen (relative to smartphones) devices, an operating environment Microsoft is comfortable with. Better still, Windows 8 can tap into plenty of horsepower--another thing Microsoft is good at. By next year, chip suppliers like Nvidia, Qualcomm, and Texas Instruments will have improved dual-core--and, in some cases, quad-core--chips replete with improved graphics. Not to mention Intel's plans to beef up its next-generation Atom processor by next year.

And since Windows 8 will run on both Intel and the ARM design-based chips cited above, Win 8 tablets will appear quickly.  But the first will likely be a good old slice of Microsoft Hardware.

Did I mention apps? Microsoft has a few universally used applications--some might say pre-baked killer apps--that may work well in a Windows 8 tablet format. In short, never underestimate the demand for Microsoft office. Microsoft could also move the tablet interface forward in a big way with a technology like Kinect.

All of this, I think, lays the groundwork for a successful platform. My only fear is that Microsoft and its partners fall prey to PC tendency and design clunky, thick, heavy tablets laden with ports in an effort to shoehorn a laptop into a tablet format. That would be a big mistake.  On the other hand if they look at Apple for two long we may end up with a multi port and that two is no good.  I'm saying it here and now 1 USB 3.0, 1 SD CARD READER, and 1 HDMI PORT.

And, yes, Android 4.0 will have arrived by then, Ipad 3 will be that year as well, and let's not forget HP And there webOS will have 3 tablets on the market by then.  So the competition in devices will not go away.

But barring that scenario, would you buy a Windows 8 tablet? I see it as potentially giving the iPad a run for its money and likely equal to anything Google can concoct in the next 12 months.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 07:43:03 AM by whitetop »

Offline Crumbz

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
  • Networking & Database Administrator
    • www.asagia.net (Coming Soon!)
Re: Windows 8 tablet OS
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 07:50:32 PM »
Well i may buy one but it would depend on the overall build quality and design of the device. I mean ive looked at the Apple iPad 2 and noticed a very responsive touchscreen and operating system.

So can this Windows 8 Tablet meet par or above the current iPad? Not to mention the next gen of the iPad that is supposed to becoming out next year?

Microsoft would have to pull alot of skillz in building this thing to have it go above and beyond the current competition. And the problem ive noticed with all Windows products is that there is such a variation in make and model of the product that you are never truely guaranteed a good high quality product. But with Apple products... Well... Do you ever see more then one make of the Mac or Macbook Air?

No you dont because Apple is very picky with their products and would never allow another manufacture to use its OS on a product they had not specifically designed and tested.

Minecraft Server (Online)
Name: Asagia Realm's
Address: mc.asagia.net:65156

Offline Bonz

• I'm Back Baby
  • Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +3/-1
  • 2 1337 4 u
    • Bonznumber1
Re: Windows 8 tablet OS
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 10:20:34 AM »
i notice that you mention the touch screen.  that is hardware not software.  if a company finds a way to use that hardware then this OS would work as nice as the iPad (look and android on iPhone)  HP is using a screen like this on there new tablets

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal