Author Topic: Was browsing around...  (Read 3295 times)

Offline ModernTek

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Acidmods User
Was browsing around...
« on: July 08, 2011, 01:04:09 PM »
I was browsing around and found this thing...

http://www.thermalright.com/products/index.php?act=data&cat_id=32&id=175

Anyone have any experience with it?

I was wondering if the DVD drive and fan shroud would still fit?

Working on some ideas for a 360 mod....haven't modded in a while and want to get back in the game.

Offline crashmasher

• Registered BST
  • ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: Was browsing around...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 09:45:18 PM »
I ran into this heatsink awhile back, from searching it looks like everything will fit but modification is probably needed.

here is a video that i found (he could have worked around alot of his problems but its a good overview)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVqvAq9flPQ

Offline snowcolt17

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
  • If all else fails, reflow it
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 01:52:12 AM »
found this on xbox scene.. read it awhile back

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=728733

Offline ModernTek

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 10:17:02 AM »
Thanks to both of you. That's exactly what I need.  :tup:

Offline whuthefxk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 11:10:09 PM »
what are your thoughts on this heatsink? is it worth the money?  does it really work? reading the link, it seems like that guy's 360 still burned out after installing the TR360. 
MY CONSOLE LIST:

-1 PS   )                -1 GameCube
-1 PS2 (fa              -2 OG Gameboys
-1 PS2 (slim           -2 color gameboys -1 PS3                   -1 GBA -5 PSP                   -1 Gameboy SP -1 iPod TOUCH                   -2 NDS w/r4 -1 iPod video 5g                 -1 Wii -1 iPod nano (2-1g)(1-3g)    -1 Sega Genisis -2 NES                             -1 Atari Lynx -1 Gameboy micro

Offline ModernTek

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 06:35:28 AM »
what are your thoughts on this heatsink? is it worth the money?  does it really work? reading the link, it seems like that guy's 360 still burned out after installing the TR360. 

I would have to say that it's better then the stock heatsink but, if your trying to prevent the RROD your better of putting some intake fans in the 360 to bring in some cooler air. IMO the 360 doesn't really need new heatsinks it needs a new case. A case that allows cooler air in easier.

This heatsink definitely helps prevent the RROD. It's not worth the money if all you want it for is to prevent the RROD if that's all you want it for just add a intake fan or two. 

Offline snowcolt17

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 06:43:44 AM »
im with modern. add air intakes. better airflow. fan shroud mod. add the 80mm fan over the gpu if it is the 2nd gen. a nice grill. do the front header for the fan?

Offline whuthefxk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 09:37:02 AM »
im trying to maintain all within without anything protruding outside of the case. so 80mm fan wouldnt necessarily work for me.  also i want to keep the dvd drive internal.  i do not wanna do that 12v fan mod a that is tooo loud for me.

do you think if i got one of these thermalrights, will i be able to fit like a 40mm fan on the internal side of the case where usually the 2nd gen GPU heatsink extension would go?
MY CONSOLE LIST:

-1 PS2 (slim           -2 color gameboys -1 PS3                   -1 GBA -5 PSP                   -1 Gameboy SP -1 iPod TOUCH                   -2 NDS w/r4 -1 iPod video 5g                 -1 Wii -1 iPod nano (2-1g)(1-3g)    -1 Sega Genisis -2 NES                             -1 Atari Lynx -1 Gameboy micro

Offline snowcolt17

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 12:18:15 PM »
yea bro. wouldnt be a problem... which way would you put the fan.? blowing to the cpu heatsink?

Offline ModernTek

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 12:43:35 PM »
yea bro. wouldnt be a problem... which way would you put the fan.? blowing to the cpu heatsink?

I would do this and add a fan controller so you can adjust the fan speed/noise. I would also add a thermometer so you know when to adjust the fans.

I would have the fan blowing toward the heatsink. I would also add a intake fan close to the usb ports and keep the 360 laying down at all times. 

Offline snowcolt17

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 01:05:40 PM »
like modern said. i always lay mine down. i need fans. my 360 gets hot. its a xenon. so yea. lol cant 12 volt from dvd drive bc of live. but you can do a few small mods to cool it better

Offline whuthefxk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 01:26:51 PM »
i was thinking of that fan that faces up that intakes cool air from the side of the case.  do you think that fan would have enough clearance if i were to install the tr-360? 

if you were to only choose between one of those two fans above, which one would you prefer? (with the case fulled closed back up)
MY CONSOLE LIST:

Offline snowcolt17

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 03:10:20 PM »
find one off a old computer or something and sit it in there and see if it fits. and stuff. if not you can trim it to fit. doesnt have to be perfect looking. its inside where no one can see it.. cooling. i would do it between the gpu offset part and cpu. becasue it will suck the air from it( on my 360 that part got hotter then the other) facing it to the cpu heatsink. it will pull the ait from it to the heatsink through the rear fans...

correct me if im wrong
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 03:13:12 PM by snowcolt17 »

Offline whuthefxk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 03:24:16 PM »
i just copped a gently used  tr-360 heatsinks off ebay for 30 bucks w/ free ship.  im going to stick it in first and see how much room i got left to work with.  afterwards.  i may want to try that fan that is placed facing the CPU.  since my case already has the side case one for cool air intake.  never thought about the other fan though.  i am stoked for this thing to come in the mail!
MY CONSOLE LIST:

Offline snowcolt17

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 03:26:29 PM »
whuthefxk cant wait til you get it either!!!1 you should take pics of installion ;). and show us around in your 360 afterwards :)

Offline ModernTek

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 09:32:53 PM »
Definitely post and your opinions on the heatsink when you get it.  :drunk: I would love to know more lol.

Offline whuthefxk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 11:24:44 PM »
i sure will give u my feedback and review of the heatsink but it wont be until after next week.  this coming week is the last week of summer school for me and i need to do well on my finals. so once that is out of the way, i can work on my 360.
MY CONSOLE LIST:

Offline snowcolt17

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 04:15:47 AM »
good luck on finals and 360  :tup:

Offline ModernTek

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Acidmods User