Author Topic: Flex PCB's  (Read 4253 times)

Offline SethMods

• Registered BST
  • King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • Acidmods User
Flex PCB's
« on: May 07, 2012, 09:01:20 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with Flexible Circuit Boards?

I wanted to expand my horizons a little and try designing one.

Do you use the same CAD programs to design Flex as you do regular?
How do you mount all the parts?
Are there any cheap fab shops?

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
Re: Flex PCB's
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:19:04 AM »
kingmike co designed the raptor rapid fire kit might want to ask him
eagle is a good diy pcb software
http://www.cadsoftusa.com/?CMP=KNC-G-BRND-EC
not sure if you can make a design for a flexible PCB try it out
Tracey: f off Rodent
rodent:i would of flew it to bill gates and shoved it up his a$$

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:19:52 AM »
Nothing in a flex board is cheap. Any premade boards for that matter. Generally u can use the same cad program, just adjust your trace thickness based on your fab houses limitations and they should be able to help. You will want to out source the boards and assembly. Possibly using two different houses.

Offline SethMods

• Registered BST
  • King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 05:48:21 PM »
Nothing in a flex board is cheap. Any premade boards for that matter. Generally u can use the same cad program, just adjust your trace thickness based on your fab houses limitations and they should be able to help. You will want to out source the boards and assembly. Possibly using two different houses.

Boo!

I'm too cheap to pay someone to assemble my boards. I once got a quote to get some boards built. I just needed an 8 pin chip and two 0603 resistors put on a board. They quoted like $3 per board and I think a $150 setup fee.

And thanks, 3D0. Eagle is my CAD software of choice. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but now the more I learn the happier I am.
I'll hit up KingMike.

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 09:36:45 PM »
Boo!

I'm too cheap to pay someone to assemble my boards. I once got a quote to get some boards built. I just needed an 8 pin chip and two 0603 resistors put on a board. They quoted like $3 per board and I think a $150 setup fee.

And thanks, 3D0. Eagle is my CAD software of choice. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but now the more I learn the happier I am.
I'll hit up KingMike.
no prob
Tracey: f off Rodent
rodent:i would of flew it to bill gates and shoved it up his a$$

Offline KingMike_OS

• Shop Owner - Products & Support
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +14/-0
  • R&D
    • Modding Shop At the end of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 11:32:39 AM »
Similarities and differences
PCB: PCB design rules are well known.There are minimum hole sizes, minimum trace width,
minimum space between traces and pads. We know to keep copper geometries a certain distance away
from the routed edges. We know about hole size and outline tolerances, copper and board thicknesses

Flex: Flex circuit design rules are very similar! We must pay attention to all of the same issues,
minimum hole sizes, minimum trace/space specifications, distance to edge and tolerances.

Traditional PCBs and flex are fabricated in much the same way for the first several steps. The flex material,
typically copper clad polyimide, is allocated,drilled, plated, imaged, developed and etched just as printed circuit boards are.
The next step however is where the changes occur. The panels must be baked as are PCBs to remove moisture from the wet
processes, then however where a PCB would go to a solder mask station, flex circuits go to a cover layer
station.
The insulating layer of a flex circuit is made of polyimide the majority of the time. This is not a
screen process as it is in PCB fabrication, it is a lamination process. Therefore the rules for oversize of
openings are a little different.

Another area we must worry about that isn’t common with PCBs is the “flex area”. Some
reasons for using flexible circuits are simply size and weight, but many of the applications take
advantage of the flexibility and use the circuit in this manner. There are two typical ways this is done.
Flex to fit: The circuit is flexed once only to fit into the assembly and Dynamic flex: This circuit will not
only flex to fit into the assembly, but will be dynamic during operation. Either scenario requires a bit of
thought be put into the trace routing and pad placement in that area. First it’s best not to have any
components (solder pads) in this area. Whether the flex is formed once for fit or dynamic, the solder
joint still will be the weakest part of the circuit. Solder, RoHS or leaded, is rigid and not intended to
bend, flex or twist. Therefore if those joints are in the flex area you will likely see fractured solder joint
at some point. It’s best to keep all solder points at least .100” (100 mils) away from flex areas. Further is
better if real estate allows.

Traces should route through the flex areas perpendicularly. This allows us to take advantage of
the malleability of the copper. Rolled annealed copper has grain and if run horizontally in the flex area,
may split or fracture leaving the engineers an intermittent issue to try to find which is very frustrating
and difficult to identify. It’s best to route traces at a 90 degree angle through the flex area and then
make the necessary direction changes to allow completed design.
The only other big change to keep in mind is that angles in flex are not preferred. So the miter
tool on your design software should be set to round instead of angular when designing a flexible circuit.
The natural flexibility affects the transition from horizontal to vertical trace routing so we like to make
that transition as seamless as possible. Rounded corners give us that luxury.

So as you can see the design tactics for Flexible Circuits don’t differ much from traditional PCBs.
All of the typical specifications still apply and we add a few more things that require special attention.
Cover layers require bigger openings than traditional solder mask, trace directions matter in the “flex
areas” and miters should be round instead of angular. You may use all of the same CAD tools for design
and output Gerbers as you would for any PCB

Below Are Few of Felx Board For Xbox 360 from 2008 Till 2012,
Flex is not Cheap and if you pick the righ Electronic Component Packaging type you can Assemble by hand with steady hands.
IF you Use (QFN) Packaging Like I have to save Space than Its best to have them Asssemble at Factory.

The Born of Flex Xbox 360 CG / Matrix

Cg/Matrix With Switch select

CG / matrix  Auto Select

Final

Final With light

And The Big Daddy With All Adon

Offline mcasey

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 07:59:24 AM »
Yes i have bought one online at reasonable cost. This is good in quality and working perfectly.

-------------------------
http://www.ccsintlcircuits.com/flexiblepcb.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal