Author Topic: hp web os lives and new fire sale on dec 11  (Read 2903 times)

Offline toadzilla

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +132/-0
  • something something Tech support
hp web os lives and new fire sale on dec 11
« on: December 09, 2011, 12:12:58 PM »

thats right the once doomed  operating system webOS has now been revived in the form of going open source.   Annouced in a  press release

[spoiler]
HP today announced it will contribute the webOS software to the open source community.

HP plans to continue to be active in the development and support of webOS. By combining the innovative webOS platform with the development power of the open source community, there is the opportunity to significantly improve applications and web services for the next generation of devices.

webOS offers a number of benefits to the entire ecosystem of web applications. For developers, applications can be easily built using standard web technologies. In addition, its single integrated stack offers multiplatform portability. For device manufacturers, it provides a single web-centric platform to run across multiple devices. As a result, the end user benefits from a fast, immersive user experience.

“webOS is the only platform designed from the ground up to be mobile, cloud-connected and scalable,” said Meg Whitman, HP president and chief executive officer. “By contributing this innovation, HP unleashes the creativity of the open source community to advance a new generation of applications and devices.”

HP will make the underlying code of webOS available under an open source license. Developers, partners, HP engineers and other hardware manufacturers can deliver ongoing enhancements and new versions into the marketplace.

HP will engage the open source community to help define the charter of the open source project under a set of operating principles:

The goal of the project is to accelerate the open development of the webOS platform
HP will be an active participant and investor in the project
Good, transparent and inclusive governance to avoid fragmentation
Software will be provided as a pure open source project
HP also will contribute ENYO, the application framework for webOS, to the community in the near future along with a plan for the remaining components of the user space
[/spoiler]

hp has said they will contiune to support it and provide updates regular so now the question is will it be well recieved by the open source community will hardware makers pick it up and use it on their device or will it end up dying

refurbish fire sale!
thats right guys hp had a interal memo that they will have a refurbish fire sale for there ill lived tablet on ebay starting dec 11 at 7pm est   prices are as follow   the 16GB refurbished TouchPad will sell for $99 and the 32GB version will sell for $149 There will also be a $79 accessory pack for sale that includes a case, charging dock and wireless keyboard
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 12:20:04 PM by toadzilla »

Offline Kool1zero

• Code Monkey
  • Registered BST
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +5/-0
  • Computer, Electrical, and Network Engineering Stud
Re: hp web os lives and new fire sale on dec 11
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 09:46:13 PM »
has anybody has the chance to extensively use the webOS? i've heard mixed reviews on it
Stolen from f00kz

Offline toadzilla

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +132/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 10:19:05 PM »
has anybody has the chance to extensively use the webOS? i've heard mixed reviews on it
i own a hp touchpad i LOVE it Especially the fact its rooted to dual boot so i have android and hp web os

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 09:21:13 PM »
webOS isnt bad its more a lack of software support
Tracey: f off Rodent
rodent:i would of flew it to bill gates and shoved it up his a$$

Offline toadzilla

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +132/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 12:56:50 AM »
webOS isnt bad its more a lack of software support
yup its why mine is mostly on the android side rather then webos only time im on webos side which i  must say takes a awful long time to load is to go on facebook it makes me laugh that a  little os like web os has a more stable facebook then android  on a side note im excited to see what the open source community does to it
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 12:58:56 AM by toadzilla »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal