Author Topic: Which PICkit combo would you prefer?  (Read 1836 times)

Offline cobi_vw

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • PSP-Direct Team
Which PICkit combo would you prefer?
« on: August 20, 2012, 06:19:29 AM »
I'm new to Pic programming and was wondering what kit would be best for me.
The PICkit 2 starter kit (http://www.microchipdirect.com/productsearch.aspx?Keywords=DV164120)
or the PICkit 2 Debug express (http://www.microchipdirect.com/productsearch.aspx?Keywords=DV164121). Both of them are the same price and look like a pretty good investment. Would you prefer a PICkit 2? Or is there similar quality products for a cheaper price?

Cobi

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
Re: Which PICkit combo would you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 07:01:56 AM »
bunch of factors go into play i mean if your not gonna go crazy with it stick to something simple but also gives you options in case you wanna try other things in the future
on my behalf i only use 12f683 pic's so i got me a basic one with a good amount of options in case i need them but in real world ive only used a 12f683 and i spent around 15 bucks money well spent unless u got quite a bit of extra money to burn then get the top notch one so you dont have to go back and forth on the issue
Tracey: f off Rodent
rodent:i would of flew it to bill gates and shoved it up his a$$

Offline cobi_vw

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • PSP-Direct Team
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 07:18:03 AM »
Ah, ok. See the reason I want to buy a legit one is for it to last through university and what not. I'd rather buy an expensive one only once.

Offline SethMods

• Registered BST
  • King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 05:53:42 AM »
Cobi,
  I purchased both of these back in the day for the same reason you mentioned. (Reliability.)

I recommend the PICKit2 Starter Kit. It has the Low Pin Count Demo board which will also give you the ability to easily program your own mods. (Not that it would be hard to make something like that from scratch.)

If you find that you would rather have the PICKit 44-pin demo board let me know and I'll send you mine for free.
...as I never use it.

With that said I now agree with 3D0 that the clones are usually just as good as the original. In fact I just purchased some clones because I didn't want to pay full price.

Let me know if you want that demo board.

Offline cobi_vw

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • PSP-Direct Team
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 06:21:21 AM »
Cobi,
  I purchased both of these back in the day for the same reason you mentioned. (Reliability.)

I recommend the PICKit2 Starter Kit. It has the Low Pin Count Demo board which will also give you the ability to easily program your own mods. (Not that it would be hard to make something like that from scratch.)

If you find that you would rather have the PICKit 44-pin demo board let me know and I'll send you mine for free.
...as I never use it.

With that said I now agree with 3D0 that the clones are usually just as good as the original. In fact I just purchased some clones because I didn't want to pay full price.

Let me know if you want that demo board.

Thank for the reply. I ordered the Starter kit yesterday. Thanks for the offer, but I don't think it would be necessary. :victory:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal