Author Topic: "Blackbox" work log.  (Read 2925 times)

Offline ViSioNXx

• Global Moderator
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • PC Guru
"Blackbox" work log.
« on: August 30, 2012, 07:28:24 PM »
Just wanted to share this work log a bit more with fellow console modders.. Hope you like it  :beg:

I am not a pro on writing this stuff up and I do not have camera skills but i do have the modding bug :)

Basically i have "pretty in pink" on hold right now waiting on LED's from china as well as a hard drive when i can afford it so I decided I have been wanting to Mod my kids xbox 360. I have had ideas in mind for a long time and searched through alot of parts and other peoples mods when i realized something. Most of the "$60" cases you can buy for the 360 are either ugly as sin or Simply easy to pull of for cheaper. I do not have any super special mods for this planned yet. Just the basic paint job, window install and some nice blue lighting.

Here's some stock pics:

So first things first lets take it apart and cut the window.

Also i decided a window was no good just to look at the cover for the disk drive....

so i cut it and painted it too.

of course the case and the Frame got some flat black love too

and finally a photo of current status:

As of now i am waiting on the ring of light leds "from USA" and i have to cut the window and get it placed. I may end up putting an extra 80mm fan inside some where or an old fan i pulled from a broken ps2. I also have to find a torque screwdriver for the HDD so i can put a window on it and paint it too. I may end up just taping it and painting it though...

As usual i want to hear some feed back and suggestions please :) thanks for looking.

***8.24.12 UPDATES***

While I am waiting on a few surprises to get here from extreme-mods, I figured i would give a small update  ..

I got 2 stock AMD fans that are the perfect size for replacing The 360 fan. I think I will just wire them in to the stock connector so they can run various speeds. I am not sure if these are any better then stock but I feel more comfortable drilling these out for LED's :)

Took off the heatsink to clean up that stock tim and as i feared it was old, crusty, hard to remove JUNK.

Cleaned up the HS the best I could

Also I decided this thing needs a bit more flash so I found a nice stencil for the side

The dot pattern is for a small  inlet for one of the new fans going on.

With the exception of ripping blue LED's out of old fans and stuff to wire some lighting, Thats all I have managed so far...

Input is welcome Thanks for looking

**8/24**

Got the window etched out. Now to get the LED's situated and get it lit up for a preview...

Looks better in person. Using a phone cam.

The chosen fans....

Trimmed and in place....

Lit up preview... Will be better when i get more lighting behind it

Welp. Like i Posted before I got some things in the mail the other day. A few great parts from Extreme-mods. Lets have a look at what we got.

A nice pink button set yay! Well this is the one  Is the unopened one. I got a little carried away with opening the stuff and the other set fell on the controller......

Also got  a Core V2 cooler , which is just a set of fancy Fans with some Led's  in them. Great pieces though.

Really easy to install.

Its got an Extension to the disk drive power cable with your single plug in on it with adhesive on the back side.

And a jumper wire.

Of couse these are sleeved now so i am contemplating what else i could sleeve. ;) But basically you end up with something like this

Cant wait to get it completely back together and look at it. I am currently working more on shaping the fans to fit under the duct.I may not even use that duct. I really want a clear one. I have given thought to fabricating one. I got All the lights working on the controller also. I need some pics of that. I need to get some leds positioned better. I also need to get them soldered into the PCB just under the power connector since the fans already run off the disk drive power. I think this will look great when its finished.
  Extreme-mods has some great stuff and I know sometimes finding this stuff from a good close site instead of some hong kong crap off ebay. They have really fast shipping and I have to say these plasitc parts are sturdy and came clean cut. No frilly ends to trim. The fans seem to move a good bit of air so i should be able to get by with my X-clamp for a while longer.

I guess I will leave you with a few other random shots and say goodbye until the next update. Might be showing off some new pink lighting in the white controller.

[admin]no advertising. This the second time i have removed it.[/admin]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:40:57 AM by Modded Matt »

Offline snowcolt17

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
  • If all else fails, reflow it
Re: "Blackbox" work log.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 07:34:33 PM »
looks good... what did you etch with

Offline ViSioNXx

• Global Moderator
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • PC Guru
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 07:57:40 PM »
That was done with a dremel without the hand tool. Also used the pink stone bit. Thanks for looking :)

Offline snowcolt17

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 08:27:50 PM »
thats cool. good job. nice work and painting

Offline ViSioNXx

• Global Moderator
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • PC Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 08:45:07 PM »
Nah the paint blows lol. I am taking it all back down now to smooth it up some more. Should have some 98% finished pics by tomorrow. Thanks replies though. I have this posted at overclock.net but those guys arent impressed unless a large amount of cash is thrown at a project. I was looking for a good forum to get soem great input and i think i found it. :)

Offline snowcolt17

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 09:01:21 PM »
i think it looks fine. i like the etched plexi. nice job. are you

be sure to enlist in the controller mod-off. starts in 2 days. doesnt hurt anything to give it a try ;).

rules.

Welcome back old timers and newcomers alike. I hope everyone enjoyed their summer break!! We are going to start this years competitions with a small controller mod off, before we jump into the full blown winter mod off coming up in a few months. This will let the new guys get their feet wet.

I am going to make this one short and sweet.

1. Any controller will be admitted. PSP and other portable systems will not be allowed.
2. Judging will be by nominated admin panel.
3. Entrants can use their real names (no restrictions like our main contests)
4. You must show a work log, with your name and date written on paper and visible in the pictures. (digitally imposed date and name will not be accepted) You must submit a starting pic of an unmodded controller and a final video of the controller functioning correctly.

Contest duration:
This contest will begin on 9/1/12 and all final video posts must be made by 10/31/12. Please post your work logs as you progress with your mod.

Prizes:
1st place prize will be $100.00 USD
2nd place will receive a custom name emoticon to be used on the forum.

Please have fun. That is what these contests are all about. Please remember as one member found out the hard way last year, no cheating will be tolerated in any way. Its not worth it, build something you can be proud of.

Thank you for supporting Acidmods. If you would like to donate to the prizes please contact me directly or send your gift to AMmodoff@yahoo.com via paypal. If donations are received the prize amounts can be increased, but will not be lower than

Offline ViSioNXx

• Global Moderator
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • PC Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 11:11:41 AM »
I might do that if I can find a camera with decent video. I would have to take it all back apart to get the pictures to meet the requirements.

Thanks again for your kind words.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:45:29 AM by Modded Matt »

Offline snowcolt17

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 11:27:33 AM »
you got to use a unmodified controller. ;)

if you need one hit rodent up.

our goal isnt to let people down. its to encourage them to keep modding.

Offline ViSioNXx

• Global Moderator
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • PC Guru
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 06:36:48 PM »
Got the thing done for now. here's some last pics. Thanks again extreme-mods for the excellent parts kits   :tup:

some sleeving...:rolleyes:

and the finals.

hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. :)  :clap:

[mod]Please try not to use other sites banners unless they are sponsored. Thanks.[/mod]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 05:15:23 PM by Modded Matt »

Offline snowcolt17

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 08:53:05 PM »
you did a excellent job. was this your first mod? you did good. hopefully i see more work

Offline ViSioNXx

• Global Moderator
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • PC Guru
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 08:02:39 AM »
Yes it was may first. Well first on a console. you can see a pink computer in the background of one of those pictures that was my very first mod ever for my wife. I think i will tackle the Wii next. Got to get up some funds though..

Big thanks to xtreme-mods for the supplies. Here
Without you guys this mod would not be possible.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:32:54 AM by snowcolt17 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal