Author Topic: Why stick with Convention?  (Read 3449 times)

Offline RFK

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Why stick with Convention?
« on: October 22, 2012, 11:14:27 AM »
Heres my current work in progress, i was sat there one day, looking at the controller in my hand and started to think of this modification. Why do we stick with convention? What happens if we go back to the drawing board and start from scratch?

My main aim was to achieve a "stock" look.

I'll let my pictures explain my work.

Still to do:

Apply another coat of filler and start sanding all over again.
Start painting
Re wire the insides.

External
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Internal
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

I'll update this post with more pictures as i find the time to keep this up. Its still in a very very rough stage, its still a W.I.P

Thought id share a little

Offline Luigus

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +6/-3
  • PSP-Direct Team
Re: Why stick with Convention?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 11:55:17 AM »
WOW,  I love the new Set up, that can actually work. I still want to do a redesigned controller myself.
lots of inspiring work here..

Nice and clean too..
I'll be checking on this thread :P

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 05:13:14 PM »
Very nice clean work . I hope to see this finished.  good luck keep up the good work. :#1:

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline RFK

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 04:20:29 AM »
Thanks for the praise! Hope to keep on top of this in my spare time, so its defiantly something that will get finished im not one to leave projects half finished.

I know exactly what im doing for everything except relocating the D-Pad. Whats everyones thoughts on this, im unsure of exactly the best way to do it?

The plan is currently to butcher an old CG motherboard and cut out the D-pad to create a daughter board. Then simply move this over to the redesigned controller and begin to wire it up as standard. The only issue with this is it would create an extra 5mm of hight at a guess and then id have to modify the D-pad itself. Not an issue but if anyone has a better idea be sure to let me know ;)

As for paint, its going to be as stock as possible so a white shell, im unsure of the best option of whether or not to stick with the grey pieces or to go with a light green for the highlights to make it more "xbox 360 ish" ive got the paint so it will probably a spur of the moment thing when i get that far down the line.

Offline drummerdude

• BST BAN
  • ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +11/-5
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 05:48:53 PM »
Thanks for the praise! Hope to keep on top of this in my spare time, so its defiantly something that will get finished im not one to leave projects half finished.

I know exactly what im doing for everything except relocating the D-Pad. Whats everyones thoughts on this, im unsure of exactly the best way to do it?

The plan is currently to butcher an old CG motherboard and cut out the D-pad to create a daughter board. Then simply move this over to the redesigned controller and begin to wire it up as standard. The only issue with this is it would create an extra 5mm of hight at a guess and then id have to modify the D-pad itself. Not an issue but if anyone has a better idea be sure to let me know ;)

As for paint, its going to be as stock as possible so a white shell, im unsure of the best option of whether or not to stick with the grey pieces or to go with a light green for the highlights to make it more "xbox 360 ish" ive got the paint so it will probably a spur of the moment thing when i get that far down the line.
Yeah that can work, I'm doing that for my controller redesign. For my first redesign, I simply put some tact switches on breadboard and had that underneath the dpad.

"I'm not a very tall person, however I show self-confidence of a bigger person"

Offline Tenac

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Pothead
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 10:57:39 AM »
What too did you use to make those perforated lines, some hot poking tol?  I like how easy that tools makes that job, and it looks very clean.  I like the symmetry of the control, but idk about the functionality of having to take both thumbs off the analog sticks to push buttons now.  And if you use the stock ABXY buttons, idk if the letters will be right-way up since you rotated the housing for them that they line up into.

Offline RFK

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 12:33:13 PM »
Nothing any where near as complicated as that i simply used a drill with a bit that was 1.5mm in size. If i was to go back and do it again id even go as far as 1mm or possibly .5mm after that it was simple work with an Xacto Knife and little to no mess with 0 plastic melts.

As for the buttons im going to sort out new notches so that they sit strait im aware that they would be all over the place. In terms of the location they feel really natural once its in your hand. But i have no idea what hole im going to use for what button yet.

Offline Luigus

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +6/-3
  • PSP-Direct Team
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 05:30:09 AM »
whats the product called that you used to fill up the areas? you mentioned something about 0 plastic melt, is that whats it called? and how hard isit to use it?

thanks

Offline RFK

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 05:53:22 AM »
I used hot glue to achieve a basic attachment.  Then moved onto car body filler and added strength to the glue that's there, any brand will do just make sure to get easy sand stuff as you'll be at it for ages.

No "0 plastic melt" refereed to when your cutting something out with a rotary tool for e.g. a dremell i often find that it melts the plastic slightly while cutting. Using a drill with a small bit eliminated any of that.

Car body filler is really simple to use. You get a hardener and the product, mix them as suggested and apply to the area. Be sure to cover the area but don't overfill. As then you have more excess to remove through sanding. Allow the set amount of time for it to harden. I wouldn't recommend using a sanding tool on a rotary tool, your best bet is to simply start with a rough grit sand paper and work your way up to 1200.

Hope all this helps
Mike

Offline Luigus

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +6/-3
  • PSP-Direct Team
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 06:37:12 AM »
I used hot glue to achieve a basic attachment.  Then moved onto car body filler and added strength to the glue that's there, any brand will do just make sure to get easy sand stuff as you'll be at it for ages.

No "0 plastic melt" refereed to when your cutting something out with a rotary tool for e.g. a dremell i often find that it melts the plastic slightly while cutting. Using a drill with a small bit eliminated any of that.

Car body filler is really simple to use. You get a hardener and the product, mix them as suggested and apply to the area. Be sure to cover the area but don't overfill. As then you have more excess to remove through sanding. Allow the set amount of time for it to harden. I wouldn't recommend using a sanding tool on a rotary tool, your best bet is to simply start with a rough grit sand paper and work your way up to 1200.

Hope all this helps
Mike

Thanks For the Quick reply, i really appreciate it.
I used something today that i found at a hardware shop, some kind of putty, but it was quite hard to use, the putty doesn't stick to the plastic, and it keeps caving in, (if you follow what I'm saying). I'll try and find some Car body filler then. Thanks for the help.

And yes this helped, a lot :P!

Offline snowcolt17

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
  • If all else fails, reflow it
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 06:48:55 AM »
Thanks For the Quick reply, i really appreciate it.
I used something today that i found at a hardware shop, some kind of putty, but it was quite hard to use, the putty doesn't stick to the plastic, and it keeps caving in, (if you follow what I'm saying). I'll try and find some Car body filler then. Thanks for the help.

And yes this helped, a lot :P!

where are you from? also work in small areas with it. i think thats why its "caving" in. on his  controller he had something to support the filler from underneath, hot glue.

if you are working in a small area at a time, try what rfk did and use hot glue for the molding for the filler.

Offline Luigus

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +6/-3
  • PSP-Direct Team
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 08:04:45 AM »
I'm from Paarl, South Africa.

oh he did? hmm ill try that too then, did he take the glue out afterwards?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal