Author Topic: Modding buttons for xbox controller  (Read 2588 times)

Offline alexx92

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Modding buttons for xbox controller
« on: October 24, 2012, 05:51:55 PM »
 I did a mod a few months ago where I made a extra button for my xbox controller for call of duty...
The buttons got kinda in the way and I want try something new.
I want to know if its possible to make Knifing/jumping possible with my  left bumper/right bumper and vice versa
So I basically want to knife/jump with my left or right bumper, and throw stuns and frags with A and B.
and I no i cant change it in game.
i want to change the motherboardwith  some kind of soldering technique
sorry for my bad english , im french
thanks,

Offline SethMods

• Registered BST
  • King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • Acidmods User
Re: Modding buttons for xbox controller
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:00:11 PM »
This is fairly easy with a CG/CG2 style controller. Each button has two connections. One goes to ground, and the other goes straight back to the microcontroller. If you cut the trace going to the microcontroller and solder to the button that you would like to swap it with...that should give you the desired result.

But maybe an easier approach would be something like this.
http://cronusdevice.com/

This is something King Mike brought up in another post. I've never used one, but theoretically you can remap your controller using one. It's probably an easier and definitely a less permanent solution.

...but then again half the fun is in getting there sometimes. So I would understand if this is something that you wanted to do yourself.

And your English is probably better than most American kids.

Offline alexx92

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 05:43:12 AM »
Thanks bro, that was really helpfull im considering to buy that cronus device right now

Offline alexx92

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 05:44:16 PM »
This is fairly easy with a CG/CG2 style controller. Each button has two connections. One goes to ground, and the other goes straight back to the microcontroller. If you cut the trace going to the microcontroller and solder to the button that you would like to swap it with...that should give you the desired result.

I have decided to just mod it. Sorry but I cant follow you really here^^ can you help me with Paint, to indicate where i need to go ? I made some pics, here is the front

Here is the back The back is where I previously modded my controller for the A and B Buttons, I have indicated the solder points White= A, Black is B
So i want these a and b buttons to my right and left bumper
and probably the stuns and frags (let bumper-right bumper) to the d pad
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 05:47:48 PM by alexx92 »

Offline SethMods

• Registered BST
  • King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 08:27:20 PM »
It makes me sad to see that this is a wired controller. All of the wired controllers (that I know of) use a Matrix setup.

For a Matrix setup you would have to cut and reroute the traces on both sides of the button.
So for instance, button A has two traces going to it. You would cut both of those. And RB has two traces going to it. You would cut both of those as well.

Then you would wire a pair of wires going from button A to the two traces going AWAY from RB.

But I don't recommend doing this.

Because the Matrix style "polls" the buttons it is more like an AC signal than a DC signal. This is something the engineers had to account for when they designed the board, and you can see that they installed filters on all of the lines to eliminate noise and what not.

Adding jumpers to connect the A button traces to the RB button and vice-versa is very likely to introduce noise back into the design.

At least that's my two cents.

Maybe an actual electrical engineer could pipe in here.

Edit: @RDC,
 Very cool on both accounts. I am glad you were able to chime in...as I was very wrong.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 06:23:10 AM by SethMods »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 03:48:52 AM »
@ alexx92 - Your controller is the Wired CL version. It has a Common Line that goes to all of the buttons, which has 1.8v on it. For all intensive purposes, it can be done like the CG controller is. All you need to sever is 1 trace per button and swap that line around to whatever other button you want it to be instead.

They are all traced out here - http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=635462

@ SethMods - Swapping around lines on the Matrix versions has no adverse effects. http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/RDCXBG/360%20Controller%20180/WirelessD-padtoABXY016.jpg

Even if it not done neatly, they still work the same - http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/RDCXBG/360%20Controller%20180/Pasghetti.jpg
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 03:56:18 AM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal