Author Topic: A,B,X,Y LED mod wiring?  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Icyhaze

• Dirty Dev
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User Personal Modder
A,B,X,Y LED mod wiring?
« on: December 31, 2012, 01:29:53 PM »
So before i glued in the LEDs i tried white, i didnt like the way it looked. So i used 5mm green, blue, yellow, and red/orange. I put them in, tested each one and they look great, i added a 220 ohm resistor to the yellow and the red/orange just to test them on 2 AA's. When i hooked those up without them, they would get bright but almost instantly go dim and i didn't want to blow them, so i put a 220 Ohm resistor on there just to test. Im not sure how to wire these though, with a resistor on each LED or just those 2, or one for all 4. i have a PnC kit also with that plugged in its a constant 5 volts i believe, so i want the resistor to be high enough that i can use with AA's, the battery pack or even the PnC plugged in. The forward voltage of the blue is 2.8, they yellow is 2.0, the green is 3.2 and the red/orange is 3.8, on the llamma site it says the red/orange is 3.8 (voltage drop) but id doesn't say a forward voltage, im not sure its the same thing, but like i said i had to add a resistor to make it work right, so maybe its lower than 3.8.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to include everything.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: A,B,X,Y LED mod wiring?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 01:53:28 PM »
your leds need to be under 3.0V. if ussing different colored leds, I recommend wiring a separate circuit for each color.

your supply voltage should be calculated at 3V regardless. even though the usb is 5v, its regulated down to 3V before it gets to the controller.

here is my favorite led resistor calculator. http://ledz.com/?p=zz.led.resistor.calculator

Offline Icyhaze

• Dirty Dev
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User Personal Modder
Re: A,B,X,Y LED mod wiring?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 02:48:15 PM »
should i put the green and blue together? and just do yellow and red on their own circuits? or if i did do them all how would i know what resistor to use? the calc only has one place to enter the voltage, and there all different.

EDIT - i did some research to look for power points for the LEDS, and used my DMM to check a few spots, i have the CG2 controller, and TP5 seems to be a switched power point, even though people say its not? anyone else used this? radioshack isnt open and id rather not have to use a optocoupler.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 03:31:57 PM by krazykid122 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal