Author Topic: 2375 Work Log - PS2.3  (Read 8670 times)

Offline halfamused

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • point me to the closest search engine
2375 Work Log - PS2.3
« on: February 02, 2013, 04:09:03 AM »
Hello AM community,

First I would like to share a few thoughts. Feel free to scroll down to the work log if you dgaf. I've been following this competition for quite a few years now, and always wanted to participate. I'll take this opportunity to thank you, for allowing me to do so. I've been impressed by the ingenuity of all past contestants, winners and losers alike. What you are doing here with this competition is awesome, and I hope you never stop. This year's theme and parameters couldn't  be more appropriate for my first entry. When I think "retro console", I have flashes of fond memories from my original Atari and NES consoles. However, when I think of "retro console modding" what comes to mind is the PS2. That's wear it all began for me, after stumbling into a SOCOM II GNK room one bored night. I'll spare you the details, those who know, know.  So I'll be attempting to modify a PS2, for the sake of nostalgia, and hopefully things go according to plan.

- half amused (formerly known as degree)

Project PS2.3 Codename:Doughboy

Goal:

The goal of this project is to give NextGen (at the time of PS2 greatness) functionality and features to a PS2 v9. Although the look will change drastically, the aim is to make it appear stock. The only flashy lights you are likely to see here are those that denote system performance. When people see it, I want them to know it is a PS2, but get the impression it is a relatively new-age system.

WORK LOG:

(All work log entries will be edited into this post for convenient viewing)

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:47:04 AM by halfamused »

Offline halfamused

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-0
Re: 2375 Work Log - PS2.3
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 07:44:28 PM »
Updated ^

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 09:18:09 PM »
now THIS is cool. good luck man. i'm right behind ya.

Offline cobi_vw

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • PSP-Direct Team
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 04:27:11 AM »
Really cool idea. Looking forward to future updates!

Offline halfamused

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 02:48:08 AM »
Updated ^. Thanks for the support! I was beginning to think that nobody was interested.

Offline COREGAMER

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • I <3 LEDs
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 10:01:49 AM »
Looking good m8.
Keep us updated. haven't seen a PS2 mod in a while now
"A Gamer is only as good as his hardware"

Offline halfamused

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 04:45:28 AM »
Updated ^.  A question for anybody who might know... I'll be attempting to transform the top of the Fat PS2 lid into a make-shift circuit board. I've been mulling over ideas on how I want to connect the components to the Male ATA cable. Idealistically I would like to design a PCB and have it made, however, I'm already over budget with this project I don't have the time for that. So my question... If I were to melt lines of solder into the lid, would they work as traces? If so, could they handle 7-9v (fairly low amperage)? Would they mess up any of the signals being sent from the Female ATA cable (see work log rev 1.6)? If I can't do something like this with the resources I have, I will likely just directly connect the Male ATA cable to the components (will get ugly).

Offline Luigus

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +6/-3
  • PSP-Direct Team
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 05:15:38 AM »
Updated ^.  A question for anybody who might know... I'll be attempting to transform the top of the Fat PS2 lid into a make-shift circuit board. I've been mulling over ideas on how I want to connect the components to the Male ATA cable. Idealistically I would like to design a PCB and have it made, however, I'm already over budget with this project I don't have the time for that. So my question... If I were to melt lines of solder into the lid, would they work as traces? If so, could they handle 7-9v (fairly low amperage)? Would they mess up any of the signals being sent from the Female ATA cable (see work log rev 1.6)? If I can't do something like this with the resources I have, I will likely just directly connect the Male ATA cable to the components (will get ugly).
]

why not make your own PCB's? i have made a couple of my own designs on ExpressPCB and then etched them out myself with ferric chloride copper plates and some transfer paper( some magazine paper with laser toner on it also works).. I've seen people use this method on glass too, to make glass panel with the traces etched onto it, just some ideas.

if you want I can go find out a bit more about this, the stuff i used cost me about 15$

Offline halfamused

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 05:29:24 AM »
]

why not make your own PCB's? i have made a couple of my own designs on ExpressPCB and then etched them out myself with ferric chloride copper plates and some transfer paper( some magazine paper with laser toner on it also works).. I've seen people use this method on glass too, to make glass panel with the traces etched onto it, just some ideas.

if you want I can go find out a bit more about this, the stuff i used cost me about 15$

That's what I would really like to do, but I fear if I try it will take too long. I've had a busy work schedule lately, plus other things going on. It would take too long to measure and design, especially since I haven't fully settled on where each component is going and I'm still waiting on some to arrive. Also I would really like to avoid spending any more money than I already have on this project. I'm starting to learn toward just poking protoboard style holes in it, and doing half the wiring on top and half on the underside using wire I already have. All this will be well hidden by the time I'm done, so it doesn't make that much difference. I just wanted to do something better if I could.

Offline Luigus

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +6/-3
  • PSP-Direct Team
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 05:35:04 AM »
Oh I see, wouldv'e been cool though, but your'e already doing so much, I'm in awe really.
This is turning out pretty sick

Offline halfamused

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 03:06:21 AM »
Updated ^. Still have a little bit to do before I wire everything up. I work long hours the next couple days, So I'll probably have to pull an all-niter to finish in time. Honestly don't think I'll be finished and have a video up until at least Friday evening GMT. Hopefully the judges are okay with that.

Offline halfamused

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 05:11:45 PM »
So... I finished all the modules for my project, but I don't have time to put it together, update the work log, and make a video. Unfortunately my job takes priority (too busy to take the night off :( ). I intend to do all that as soon as I get home, but I won't be home until late night/early morning. It's up to you if you choose to accept my entry or not, but I intend to follow through regardless. I'll likely make the video while doing the final tests, so if it blows up and catches fire you all get to enjoy the show. My PS2 has been in pieces for weeks, so I have been unable to test any of the finished modules, I'm just going to throw it all together and cross my fingers when I hit the power switch.

Offline halfamused

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 04:53:49 AM »
Updated ^. As the previous deadline drew closer and closer, having little time to work on this project was very stressful. While pulling all-niters, unable to focus, I made some mistakes and saw no light at the end of the tunnel. I had decided to slow down, pace myself, and do it right. When the contest was extended, it came as a breath of fresh air. Now I should have the time this project really deserves, so expect more updates, and if all goes well, a completed project.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal