Author Topic: Need help spraying a controller  (Read 1459 times)

Offline jayjaymozza

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Need help spraying a controller
« on: October 19, 2013, 06:00:42 AM »
I thought I'd spray my controller so I bought some golf paint suitable for plastic ... Washed my controller and took the shine off it so the paint would stick better. The paint seemed to go on well aswell as the Lacquer although it did react to the paint a little in certain ares. Now it's all dry I see they is a few mistakes, they is a few hard bubbles on the top of the controller and it looks like the paint ran a little on the side of it .... I have attached some pictures so you can see.
So now what do i do with the bubbles and the bit of the paint that's ran? 

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
Re: Need help spraying a controller
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 06:15:30 AM »
take some 1500 grit sand paper and wet sand the controller should get rid of the bubble and bring out a little better shine if  other then that the controller looks great,  once wet sanded make sure its completely dry and in a day or so try to respray the clear should be shiny again or you can take some rubbing compond and rub it out if you do not want to respray the controller.

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline jayjaymozza

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 07:17:14 AM »
I was thinking of rubbing the bad bits down with some very fine wet & dry sand paper then giving it another spray and then a little clear lacquer. 

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 10:18:52 AM »
thing with lacquer make sure it doesnt lift the paint.   let us know if that helps.

Rodent consoles mods

Offline jayjaymozza

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 10:57:59 AM »
Well last time using the lacquer it did react with the paint a little ... I think that's what caused the "bubbles" what else could I do ?

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 11:25:56 AM »
Well last time using the lacquer it did react with the paint a little ... I think that's what caused the "bubbles" what else could I do ?
use krylon fusion with kyrlon clear coat.

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Preda2r

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 10:21:25 AM »
i know its been awhile since this post but another way to go is using vinyl dye there is no need for a clear coat unless you want a shiny controller. but if you don't want it to come off 5 to 10 light coats of vinyl dye will last years on a controller. you can get basic colors in a can from auto stores or if you have a air brush setup you can order lots of colors online. the dye binds better with the controller then the fusion crap. i have my test controller that was black and dyed it white  and its been used so much that i have replaced the board with a new one but very little wear on the sticks its been 6 years of use before it showed black through. since its dye it binds with the plastic about 1mm to 2mm into the plastic so the color stays very well you just have to be patient with it because it comes out of the can a much lighter mist then spray paint. so light coats are a must if the paint runs let it sit a day and it will soak into the controller and disappear.

Offline gl0zz3n

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 11:22:02 AM »
Get warm soapy water and dip 1500 grit sand paper give clear a light sanding, repeat process with 2000 grit, get a TINY amount of turtle wax on a rag and buff the entire surface area to give it an awesome shine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal