Author Topic: Solder Paste Dispenser!!  (Read 3971 times)

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
Solder Paste Dispenser!!
« on: May 12, 2014, 12:29:07 PM »
Alright guys, im here with a new project that i started gathering pieces for. Its a solder paste dispenser done through an air compressor attached to a solenoid valve that then connects to a solder paste syringe. At the press of a button, It'll pump anywhere from 30 psi to 50 psi into the syringe pushing the plunger and thus the paste. After releasing the button the the exhaust valve activates and releases the pressure from the syringe.

I found on YouTube that a guy, goes by the name Sparky Widget had done this project already. So all credits and hats off to him!
Mine will be done in a similar fashion except with fewer parts thus cutting cost. Once all parts are in, i will update this as i go along.

Parts:
DC12V Pneumatic Solenoid Air Valve 3 Way 2 Position NC 1/8"PT 3V1-06 $8.99 + $0.99 shipping (China)

1/4" x 1/8" NPT push to connect fitting $7.37 shipped (USA)

1/4" air tubing (My Professor had some and let me cut out what i needed. he also had a similar jig setup for the PLC course!)

Liquid Dispenser Solder Paste Syringe + needles tips $8.99 + 4.50 shipping (China)

100 psi Oil less Air Compressor(Already had this but i bought on clearance at $27)

10CC MECHANIC Soldering Paste $7.99 shipped (China, but i already had some in a syringe)

12v DC power supply (purchased one from my college store at $25) (<== may not be required, im purchasing a solenoid that works off 12v and/or push button to release the air pressure.)

Backdrop:
I started doing a lot of SMD work lately and with my part time job, it is the soldering that i do. So after consulting with my boss on the rapid fire counter, we decided to go with SMD components. Now i did a little research into buying a solder paste stencil, diy stencil(soda can method) and purchasing the solder paste dispenser on ebay. Stencils cost way too much for a one off project and diy stencils require chemicals which although i have done before, i dont want to clean up as i tend to make too much of a mess. So i was looking at ebay for the dispenser and thought this cheap $89-$120 dispenser would do the trick. Turns out you still had to buy a compressor(Hey, i already have one! HMMM!!!)

So naturally, for me, i searched for diy applications. And i stumbled upon Sparky widget diy dispenser. It's an arduino based dispenser he made using left over parts from another project.(YouTube him for the video) This sparked my mind so i decided to look at other alternatives in terms of parts. Most of them are from china bought through ebay. My dispenser will be made without the arduino and using only one valve.

UPDATE1:

Got in most of the items on the list. I was lucky enough to get some air tube from my professor. he made a similar setup for one of our labs. Here's the picture:

i am like a kid at the candy store when it comes to getting my items in the mail. so i filled one of the syringe with my solder paste. the solder paste tube i bought there is an extra for when i run out.

UPDATE2:

Here is a quick snapshot of the result

and here is the video link
http://youtu.be/l32z7jlZlak
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:04:10 AM by Gizmo613 »

Offline Hazer

• x4675636B4E7574
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +59/-0
Re: Solder Paste Dispenser!!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 06:49:04 PM »
I made a stencil from inkjet transparency film. Printed the eagle soldermask and then cut out the printed parts using an exacto and a microscope. Works really nice.
[Quote from Gamermodz via Viking forums]
Don't be jealous your not half as smart. I hate ****tards like you. An ignorant redneck. Your nothing but a posing ******. Get the **** out of here, really, your claim to fame is an open source rapid fire code? You make me laugh. You think you have control over the modding market?  You couldn't create what I can and do. You are too ignorant with your outrageous assumptions and accusations. [/Quote]

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 01:44:19 AM »
Not to knock or put a damper on the project at all as I'd like to see this completed, but that thing will take a lot more setting up and dialing in versus a stencil and just wiping the paste over the PCB(s) by hand.

Good luck with it though, and if you still want to try out a stencil give OSH Stencils a try. For all the bigger your PCB design is the thing will be be right cheap from there.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 04:41:11 AM »
that is a good place for a stencil RDC, thanks for the link.

But yeah i am still continuing with this project as most of the items will be in by the end of the week.

Offline Luigus

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +6/-3
  • PSP-Direct Team
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 12:28:22 PM »
I worked by an Electronic Engineering company last year where most of the "dirty work" workstations (all the manual labor lol) had air pressured solder paste dispensers, worked like a charm.

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 09:06:29 AM »
Updated and pretty much complete at this point. Nothing but fine tuning from now on. But i will upload a better video.

UPDATE3:

I've decided to take this project one step further and make it portable. My boss wanted to see this project i made and i didnt want to lug around an air compressor. So i have order some parts and will put it together. As always, stay tuned for picture, video and updates.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:13:54 AM by Gizmo613 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal