Author Topic: 1708 joystick solder pad fell off  (Read 1857 times)

Offline frappim

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
1708 joystick solder pad fell off
« on: August 06, 2019, 04:53:28 PM »
I was replacing the joysticks because the both had problems. first one works great. But  on the second one, after installing it, the Y axis was stuck all the way up. only the X axis and center click worked. So I desoldered the pins on that 1 resistor and noticed there's no solder pad left. And for some reason on this model the traces are alot harder to find than the older models I see on here.

Can someone tell me how to fix this? I've only got a regular soldering iron. No magnifying glass and no super fine iron. I don't even know where the heck the trace is for that center pin tbh.
Please don't tell me it's that super thin trace that goes through the hole to c22 on the other side. I don't think I'd ever be able to solder onto that

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 04:55:11 PM by frappim »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: 1708 joystick solder pad fell off
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 12:34:56 AM »
Yes, it is that thin trace that goes to C22, but you don't need to mess with that at all. Solder a small jumper wire from that center lead of the POT there down to TP63.

TP63 is just below the Stick solder joints before you hit the shielded board there, they can be seen in your pic. That row of 3 TP spots, they look like small solder circles. Left to right, TP64, TP64 and TP68. Do not use a large gauge wire or hold the iron on the TP spot too long or you'll burn it off the board, then you'll have to solder to a via, which is even more difficult.

I use a 2.4mm sized chisel tip for just about everything I've done, and even for that repair you could use something larger than that and still pull it off if done carefully.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 12:36:40 AM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal