Author Topic: 1708 motherboard  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Ludwig_num1

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
1708 motherboard
« on: October 18, 2019, 04:57:24 AM »
bottom board , starting at c7, which was hot as a pistol and the 2 caps and 2 resistors to the right,which look like they are fried, i would like to repair, they are all surface mount but don't have values on them, can i find such info on this sight? Have soldering skills as well as tools. would rather spend my time rather than give microsoft more money.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 05:02:40 AM by Ludwig_num1 »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: 1708 motherboard
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 11:04:40 AM »
Start by removing the 3 Caps then test the controller. THey are all decoupling, so the thing will work without them, if it's going to.

Moved thread to a better section.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Ludwig_num1

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 01:41:17 PM »
 :hifive: well that worked, controller up and running,thank you. what does the elimination of these caps affect, and can  i expect complications in the future with these being removed?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 01:48:13 PM »
They are just for decoupling, filters on some DC lines. You could replace them with just about any value and be fine or just leave it as is for now. I'll pull them off a board here and get you the exact values later this weekend.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 04:39:04 AM »
C7 = 33uF, 0805
C34 = 4.7uF, 0402
C3 = 47pf, 0402

The voltage ratings for them aren't really critical. No cap there has any more than 3.3v on it, so 6.3v or higher for the voltage rating of them all will be fine.

Offline Ludwig_num1

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 06:01:21 AM »
have looked online for replacment d-pad and ordered silicon button pad but when i recieved the pad the height wae not up to specs so it wouldn't function properly. was wonder if you knew of reliable soure for parts to work on the controller
also thankyou for taking the time to send values but since the controller works will "wait and see", is this thing over engineered?

« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 06:07:01 AM by Ludwig_num1 »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 06:10:17 AM »
The D-pad is a Tact button setup, it uses 4 domed metal tabs covered with tape, there's no silicone pads there. If you are trying to convert that over so the D-pad works like the ABXY buttons do, then you'll have to find something close and modify it.

Welcome.

They spent a million dollars designing it, and left out the ability to reset the sticks when a new one is installed, so over engineered isn't exactly what I'd call it.

You can usually get away with removing a decoupling cap here and there, but too many missing will for sure cause all kinds of weird issues. I'd put them all back on just to not worry about it, but C7 and C3 I'd replace at a minimum.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 06:14:04 AM by RDC »

Offline Ludwig_num1

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 09:37:34 AM »
sorry i guess i didn't explain what i had done, was replacing various components in the controller, one of the things was the button silicon and another was the d-pad, but when i received the silicon pad the height of the nubs on the pad were too short and would not work properly as having to press down so much to even get the slightest response. and, oh yeah have had to replace analog modules and your right, they don't react like the original
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 09:39:15 AM by Ludwig_num1 »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 12:38:54 PM »
You can get parts on eBay all day long. No reason any of them should be different than the original one. Are you sure the buttons are not short and that is causing the issue?

Replacement sticks will work, the problem is the controller is calibrated after it is made with the sticks that it was built with, and since no 2 of those things are ever exactly the same, when you replace one it messes that all up and there is no way to recalibrate/reset it aside from tweaking the POTs on the new stick.

Offline Ludwig_num1

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 07:25:15 AM »
well, i bought the silicon pads on ebay from a chinese manufacturer and they are not the same, ebay is not the most reliable and certainly the chinese manufacturing quality control leaves alot to be desired, try not to be so snarky

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 07:44:47 AM »
I wasn't being snarky at all, just trying to work out what the issue is, but if you'd rather name call than work on the problem that's fine too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal