Author Topic: PS4 Slim, USBs are not working  (Read 1781 times)

Offline MadMaxGR

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
PS4 Slim, USBs are not working
« on: June 26, 2020, 11:46:30 AM »
I have a PS4 Slim that came with White Light of Death issue. I troubleshoot it down to be the HDMI IC MN864729, which I have replaced and now it is showing on TV. But, when tried to connect a controller with USB to sync and test the console, it does nothing.

Both of the front USB ports are completely dead and unresponsive. Can someone guide me how to troubleshoot them, because as far as I can see they do not connect to a USB IC controller. They seem to go directly to the Southbridge.

I would rule out the Southbridge could be the issue, since the console posts and boots up properly, so it communicates all together. Even bd feeds in and out, no problem.

I assume the issue must be one little components but I don't locate any short or something at the area and have no idea how to troubleshoot further.

Please see the attached photos. Maybe is the SIE custom chip at the second photo? It is just next to the USB traces going towards to the Southbridge.

Any help is welcome.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: PS4 Slim, USBs are not working
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 06:08:51 PM »
As soon as you rule something out that's exactly what it will be. On a complex chip like that, one section can up and fail while the rest of it goes merrily on it's way, your vehicle engine doesn't die when you get a flat right? ;)

I've never seen or touched one, but see if the 5v for the ports is there before digging into the data line mess, where you'll need a Logic Analyzer or at least a scope to see if there is really anything going on there.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline MadMaxGR

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 01:45:59 AM »
As soon as you rule something out that's exactly what it will be. On a complex chip like that, one section can up and fail while the rest of it goes merrily on it's way, your vehicle engine doesn't die when you get a flat right? ;)

I've never seen or touched one, but see if the 5v for the ports is there before digging into the data line mess, where you'll need a Logic Analyzer or at least a scope to see if there is really anything going on there.

I have not any analyzer neither scope.... the USB ports don't have 5V. So?

Offline MadMaxGR

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 02:45:11 AM »
I have been trying to track down the issue and seems that the Southbridge has 5V. I don't know if I am right but I have suspicion that the 5V trace doesn't reach the USB ports, but I don't see anything that could stop the 5V towards them.

As you see from the attached pic,  using testers both USBs are dead. Not less voltage,  just DEAD.

I would like to know what are these on the other pic,  someone could help me to identify them?

Meanwhile I will reflow the Southbridge to see if that makes any difference.

Offline MadMaxGR

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 03:25:17 AM »
OK did the reflow and now the PS4 has no signs of power at all!!!  I  believe it might be a fuse. Can someone confirm if that is a fuse (F5102) ?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 11:21:55 AM »
Part in the left circle on the right looks like a Capacitor Array, 4 Caps in one. The component next to it is probably some ESD protection.

The SOIC-8 can't make out any part numbers, possibly a FET to turn the power on/off to the USB port?

F usually denotes Fuse, but I don't see how that marking relates to that circled component. I'd guess the one just to the right of the Inductor there if that's what the F5102 is for. The circled one looks like it could be part of the voltage divider for the feedback to a Regulator there. Again, never seen one and don't have one here to mess with, so just going by what I can make out in the pics there.

Really best at a minimum to have a know working board to do some comparison checks on when trying to troubleshoot something like that.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 11:22:30 AM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline MadMaxGR

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 09:27:12 AM »
On a YouTube video, the Andrew Paul is repairing a dead slim by repairing a pwm circuitry.  He finds shorts and fixes them,  but in my case  it doesn't have any strange short,  only the expected ones. How should I troubleshoot it further?

Should I replace the PWM IC anyway?

Offline MadMaxGR

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 11:23:05 AM »
The story short... I have replaced the pwm without any luck. The southbridge reballed once without success,  but since the reball was with wrong stencil,  this is not a conclusive result. I am expecting new stencil and reball again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal