Author Topic: RT is "pressed" when joysticks are used  (Read 1156 times)

Offline InternetC

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
RT is "pressed" when joysticks are used
« on: August 31, 2020, 08:07:16 PM »
There is something wrong with the MCU (is that what you call the one with the joysticks on it?) and I don't know where to check. When moving both joysticks around the RT button is registering.
I tested a different main board and it doesn't cause the issue, so something with the main board (MCU?).  I've visually inspected for a good 5-10 minutes and don't notice any corrosion or damage.  If anyone has any ideas where to troubleshoot I'd really appreciate it!

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: RT is "pressed" when joysticks are used
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 01:05:02 PM »
MCU board is the one with the Sticks on it yes, it also has the MCU on it. ;) The Sticks and Triggers are both Analog, but they really have nothing to do with each other until the signals get to the MCU. Try updating the controller first and see if that straightens it out.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline InternetC

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 02:40:24 PM »
Haha, makes sense.  So, it's already updated.  You're right, they don't seem to be correlated (maybe through voltage/power?) Anyway, what could I look for/check/replace that would cause the RT to be unstable?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 02:46:43 PM »
They have separate power setups. The Sticks use a fixed 1.8v and the Triggers are a pulsed 3.3v. Since LT is also not acting funky I'd say the power rail for the Triggers is probably fine, so that only leaves the Hall Sensor for RT (U10) or the handful of it's support components, a Resistor and a couple of Caps.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline InternetC

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 03:11:03 PM »
They have separate power setups. The Sticks use a fixed 1.8v and the Triggers are a pulsed 3.3v. Since LT is also not acting funky I'd say the power rail for the Triggers is probably fine, so that only leaves the Hall Sensor for RT (U10) or the handful of it's support components, a Resistor and a couple of Caps.

Could it be the connection between boards by chance? It doesn't happen when I put in another MCU board, and it could be coincidence but it seemed to be acting up a bit when I was removing the MCU board.  Are there support components on the MCU board?

Separate question for a different MCU board, do you know where the center pin of the right joysticks x-axis can be rerouted?

(These are both 1698's)

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 03:17:24 PM »
Top board is only 5v to 3v, then 3v to 3.3v and 3.5v regulation, and then most of the buttons. The Trigger power comes from U9 (pulsed by the MCU) but since LT isn't acting up I'd rule it out for now. Could be the board has a crack in it somewhere or a really funky via, could be something I've never seen before,.

https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,44309.0.html

Offline InternetC

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 05:04:42 PM »
Top board is only 5v to 3v, then 3v to 3.3v and 3.5v regulation, and then most of the buttons. The Trigger power comes from U9 (pulsed by the MCU) but since LT isn't acting up I'd rule it out for now. Could be the board has a crack in it somewhere or a really funky via, could be something I've never seen before,.

https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,44309.0.html

Sorry I don't know what I was thinking of course RT is controlled by the MCU and not the top board.

So, I've found a "solution" or some type of troubleshooting procedure that somewhat remedies the problem.  I would like to know what you make of it.  When I put pressure around the black square MKL26 piece, the problem goes away instantly. I replaced the middle 14-pin connection and still the same issue. My guess is there is a crack of some sort, but would like to know what you think?

As for the second MCU, not sure how to figure out where to reroute the right joystick x-axis pot's middle pin.  I don't see anywhere how to figure that out :(  Is there a guide somewhere you could point me to on how to read it? Or how to figure it out myself?  I feel bad to keep asking :/

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 05:57:31 PM »
RSX goes to TP102 thru R57 first.

Pressing on one spot on the board is kind of iffy, because that's also causing things to bend that are nowhere near where you are pressing, or if you're using your finger it could be that's causing some conduction where it shouldn't be or making it conduct where it isn't and should.

The MKL26 is the MCU, and it's a BGA package, so could be that one solder joint under there for RT is iffy and it needs a reflow.

Offline Kytweeker

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 09:15:35 PM »
I'm having a similar problem my right trigger is pressed all the time and when pressing any other button it shows until yo let off the button except the right analog stick when pressed right it just shows you pressed and let go no matter how long you hold it.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 09:52:55 PM »
Update the controller first. Check nothing is missing or shorted around U10.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal