Author Topic: PS5 controller EXT port - what is this connector / pinout?  (Read 3253 times)

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
PS5 controller EXT port - what is this connector / pinout?
« on: January 18, 2021, 09:51:46 PM »
If you have some deja vous I don't blame you, I asked the same thing for ps4 controllers. I'm wondering what the name of the connector on the bottom of the ps5 controller is, so i can order some. I know the ps4 controller used the same proprietary port of an old sony discman, I'm hoping this connector is easier to get a hold of.

I'm wondering if a pinout for it has been worked out yet.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: PS5 controller EXT port - what is this connector / pinout?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 06:46:08 AM »
Not much going on there physically. Looking at the connector the way the controller is normally held, Ground, External 5v, and a single who knows yet line, then the last one isn't used at all. No PS5 or peripherals here to see if it's some kind of single communication line or just some active hi detection line.

Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline LethalPrime

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 12:20:41 PM »
I think the only accessory using the pins right now is the Dualsense charging station anyway. Only store Ive come across them at is target otherwise theyre almost as bad as finding a console on the shelf.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 12:21:18 PM by LethalPrime »

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 01:01:19 PM »
Ahh alright. So really I just need the left two pins if i wanted to charge it from that port. I read somewhere that it was simple usb 2.0, but the schematic snippet you provided doesn't really reflect that so I'll assume they were just making assumptions. RDC are you making a schematic of the dualsense? OR did you find one somewhere?

Edit: What is this connector called? IT reminds me of the connector on the bottom of an xbox 360 controller.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 01:02:44 PM by MCorgano »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 01:42:59 PM »
I don't have a charging dock to tear up and see if it's doing anything else on that connector, so it could only need the 5v and ground there to charge.

I made the core of the schematic a couple of months ago now, 6 layer PCB, fun.

There is for sure no USB, or any kind of 2 wire communication, going on that EXT port there.

No idea what that connector is specifically called, as it's pretty much designed to the shape of the controller there so I doubt there are any off the shelf mates floating around for it. Just use some pogo pins and make your own.

Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline wickated

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 10:46:39 PM »
, 6 layer PCB, fun.

incredible fun of replacing sticks now. dies in tears of remembering ds3 with sticks connected with ribbon cable with a rubber clip.

Offline LethalPrime

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 03:20:02 PM »
incredible fun of replacing sticks now. dies in tears of remembering ds3 with sticks connected with ribbon cable with a rubber clip.

Its still super easy and painless with my hakko fr-301  and there are plenty of decent fr-410 clones with the external pump

Not having a proper visual chart to test the centering is the bigger problem IMO.

Im not paying a scalper 200 for a piece of hardware that costs 60 bucks and has an artificial back order cuz they use it for cheating online

Testing on the console alone isnt as accurate as having the visual indicator graph.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 03:31:02 PM by LethalPrime »

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 10:36:57 PM »
I've never seen a soldering station like that. Interesting.

What do you mean by visual chart? I assume it's some kind of manufacturing tool?

Offline wickated

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 11:01:41 PM »

Not having a proper visual chart to test the centering is the bigger problem IMO.
gamepad tester.com dont work?

Offline LethalPrime

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 02:58:23 AM »
gamepad tester.com dont work?

Not for ps5 controllers, it doesnt show the center just numbers, but thats as bad as using the windows graph.

I prefer all the visual data the Cronus max and Cronus zen show
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 02:58:48 AM by LethalPrime »

Offline wickated

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 03:08:10 AM »
Not for ps5 controllers, it doesnt show the center just numbers, but thats as bad as using the windows graph.
just select calibration mode in windows gamepad setiings and go for 127 center value

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 12:40:04 AM »
Wait what? When i pair a ps5 controller it shows me all the same data a ps4 controller does. I do have DS4Windows installed so maybe that included a driver or something that makes it detected better? But even with ds4Windows not running it still connects and shows up fine in https://gamepad-tester.com/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal