Author Topic: JDM-055 Charges on dock but not over usb  (Read 1435 times)

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
JDM-055 Charges on dock but not over usb
« on: February 04, 2021, 08:29:17 PM »
I have a JDM-055 that charges fine through the ext port, but doesn't charge at all over usb. It doesn't blink or do anything. However the JDS usb board works perfectly - LED and usb - in another controller, so it must be something on the board.

How do I go about fixing this? Hopefully it doesn't mean the chip is dead

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
Re: JDM-055 Charges on dock but not over usb
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 09:03:44 PM »
Ok probably a dumb idea, but if I can't fix it correctly... what if I wired the usb_5v to EXT_5vin? There are two caps next to the PMIC, one for the usb one for the ext 5v, that i could wire together. Would i have to cut the existing trace to the PMIC? no idea what shorting these together will do.

Offline wickated

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 02:45:47 AM »
remove caps and trace 5v_usb to 5v_ext. (those lines meet with 2 huge capacitors near each each other)

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 05:17:04 AM »
The USB_5v and EXT_5v don't meet anywhere, they are separate traces to the PMIC.

Make sure R40, R41 and R42 are all still on the board first. Then it's checking traces, and unless one is damaged internally or under something, it's the PMIC at fault.

If you sever the USB_5v you'll mess something up as the MCU also uses that to know the USB cable has been connected, thru the above mention Resistors. If it uses that detection to also configure the PMIC, no idea, so worst case it may not work as a wired controller. You can try connecting those rails together, but I'd use a Diode to do it, so the USB_5v rail will then feed the EXT_5v rail, but then the EXT_5v can't back-feed into the USB_5v.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 05:18:04 AM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 12:23:48 AM »
EDIT: NEvermind. It's :censored:ed. Trying to charge through ext I noticed the PMIC gets really hot. Replacing it is beyond my tools and capabilities. Into the bin it goes. Original reply below but kinda pointless now.

Ok excuse my noobness but where are resistor 40, 41, and 42?

I learned something new today - the test points on the thick traces with the 4 vias are for the power rails. I never thought about it but it makes a lot of sense. It'll be handy for modding later! Anyways from the test point right behind the ribbon connector to the thicc side of the capacitors gives me 0 ohms - so the trace between the connector and the PMIC seems fine. At this point i'm suspecting the PMIC - The board itself is clean and in good condition which usually doesn't bode well. Dirty boards are easier to trace the shmoo back to the troublemaker.

If push comes to shove, losing usb connection to get charging is an alright compromise for me. I could at least use ti bluetooth then. If I can maintain EXT port functionality (charging, communication with back button module) and make "usb" charging work, I'll count it as a win. I do most my stuff over bluetooth anyways.

remove caps and trace 5v_usb to 5v_ext. (those lines meet with 2 huge capacitors near each each other)
Even if I shorted them together, wouldn't I still need at least one of those capacitors there? I'm assuming it's there for filtering?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 12:37:34 AM by MCorgano »

Offline wickated

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 09:50:36 PM »
EDIT: NEvermind. It's :censored:ed. Trying to charge through ext I noticed the PMIC gets really hot. Replacing it is beyond my tools and capabilities. Into the bin it goes. Original reply below but kinda pointless now.
first of all its beyond money? cuz pmic cost more than whole used ds4. i thought u checked pmic in first place

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 02:00:38 PM »
IIRC it wasn't overheating when I first tried fixing it. It's possible I did something to it along the way that messed it up more

Does the pmic chip really cost more than an entire controller? Wow.

Offline LethalPrime

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 01:16:52 AM »
Did you by any chance try popping in a different known good battery

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 03:35:36 AM »
Did you by any chance try popping in a different known good battery
Yes, swapped battery, usb boards, ribbon cable, all with multiple known good ones. Tried charging over usb and over ext port. Over usb = no heat and no charge, but over ext port = appears to charge and the pmic becomes uncomfortably hot.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 03:36:05 AM by MCorgano »

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 03:38:23 AM »
Ok so I was on aliexpress looking at other stuff and stumbled over this
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001949179200.html
Has anyone here tried ordering replacement chips from aliexpress? Horror stories / warnings? I'm guessing i'm missing something.
I don't have a hot air station so I can't replace it anyways, but that doesn't strike me as super expensive (assuming it's legitimate). Definitely something to consider

Offline wickated

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 07:10:31 PM »
Ok so I was on aliexpress looking at other stuff and stumbled over this
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001949179200.html
Has anyone here tried ordering replacement chips from aliexpress? Horror stories / warnings? I'm guessing i'm missing something.
I don't have a hot air station so I can't replace it anyways, but that doesn't strike me as super expensive (assuming it's legitimate). Definitely something to consider
its for ds1 jdm001-11-20, not for v2

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 10:55:42 PM »
Ahh thanks for the clarification. Maybe in the future the newer PCIM chips will become cheaper / more available.

Offline TuttiFrutti

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 01:04:43 PM »
Probably messed up the common mode choke like I did

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal