Author Topic: Idea: Pre-offset pot wipers for calibration  (Read 711 times)

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
Idea: Pre-offset pot wipers for calibration
« on: September 21, 2021, 05:19:42 PM »
I was watching some content about lockpicking the other day and saw they could order bulk pre-cut pins and had a thought. Has anyone tried to manufacture / sell pre-offset potentiometer wipers? The idea is since we can't calibrate the sticks with an easy method, you could have a set fo say 20 each wipers where the nub on the wiper is offset by +/-0.5, 1, 1.5, 2 degrees. Then when you replace a stick you could record the offset at dead center (say it reads as X +10%) and then pick an offset wiper that has the nub positioned exactly to compensate (ex 1 degree clockwise of dead center). It wouldn't do anything for sensitivity issues (when the thumbstick readout moves too much or too little when moving the stick) but could be a VERY easy solution to solving centerpoint calibration for thumbsticks.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 05:21:57 PM by MCorgano »

Offline wickated

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
Re: Idea: Pre-offset pot wipers for calibration
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 02:04:46 AM »
u have full movement boundaries of ~10 degrees. so 1% is 0,1degree. so ucan make wipers of full gold, price would be golden anyway.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 11:24:43 AM »
The number of 'precision' value Wipers you would need to be able to cover every circumstance would be ridiculous compared to the handful of minutes it would take you to use any of the now several methods to manually tweak the plain jane replacement stick back to center.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 05:28:06 PM »
I wasn't anticipating covering the full range, just between -10% to +10% range, in degree increments that equate to ~1% stick movement. That's only 20 unique parts. After giving it some thought, only the center hole would need to be different angles on each one - the metal wiper piece and center nub could be the same on all of them. Just rotate the center hole by whatever amount

What is currently the best method of centering sticks when you replace the pots?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 05:28:41 PM by MCorgano »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 10:57:45 PM »
You shouldn't replace just the POTs, unless you're 100% sure that's the only thing that has worn out. There are all kinds of wear spots in those things and they pretty much all will effect how the stick centers back up. There is no best method, it's really personal preference there, as in the end they all accomplish the same thing. Cutting the posts off and tilting the POT so center lines back up, tweaking the arm the Wiper rides on so it does or installing a TrimPOT in parallel and dialing it back in with that to name a few will all get you the same end result.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline VaNDAL_UK

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
    • UBER MICRO REPAIRS
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 12:41:55 AM »
Better off hacking the controller software to allow rewriting of the off set to FW.

I've sent in several requests to the DS4Windows team to see if this could be done. The reply wasn't a flat no but it would take alot of effort!

I need to get in contact with the supplier who told me about the "Sony Dual Shock Correction Tool" Supposed factory leak. Haven't hounded them about it in 6 months they are over due. even offered them ?1000 for it! Guessing it's just BS!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 12:42:53 AM by VaNDAL_UK »

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 11:56:24 AM »
I'd assume it's BS until it's publicly available and you can actually use it

@RDC I heard about adding a pot in parallel but wouldnt that also decrease the sensitivity. What method to you usually use?

Offline ChrisJavier

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 04:50:42 PM »
I've tried with a trimmer pot, but the stick won't detect full throw. It'll only go to about 85%.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 07:08:30 PM »
@ MCorgano - I've always done the POT tilting method, even back on the 360 controller Triggers when I'd SouthPaw those things and sometimes they wouldn't register a full pull or release in GRAW, that game was picky.

@ ChrisJavier - Use a 1M or higher value.

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2021, 03:43:37 PM »
@ ChrisJavier - Use a 1M or higher value.
That was actually my next question lol Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal