Author Topic: A strange occurrence I want to share. It was a JDM-040  (Read 456 times)

Offline Eren_Ackerman

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
A strange occurrence I want to share. It was a JDM-040
« on: October 12, 2021, 11:42:07 PM »
 :cool:

Hello. Since I've been helped before I thought I should also contribute if even with a small little "strike of luck" that happened to me with a JDM-040.

So I had a JDM-040 with a "dead" charge/usb chip. I had it for over a year, and I was using it on my PC via bluetooth. Whatever attempt I made trying to connect it via USB was useless; there was no reaction. Any USB charger was also no good. Whenever I needed to recharge the battery, I simply took it out and charged it with an external battery charger. Until... One day I decided that it was annoying enough having to disassemble and reassemble the thing every time I needed a recharge, so I thought "what the hell? I'll just experiment with it".

I was going to install a 2 pin port where I could connect an external buck converter set to 5v and 0.8a, but before installing it I wanted to make sure that the controller would resist getting a 5v input directly to the battery connector (yeah, no concern with overcharge yet, at that point). I connected the controller to the PC before to make it kind of a "checkpoint" of what the controller was doing prior to the probing, and then (I bet you're already seeing it coming) I probed it with a 5v charger directly to the battery pins (with the battery installed), and nothing happened. So I connected the controller to my PC... just to see what happened, just for the sake of it... AND IT WORKED!!!  :dribble:

How the problem started

Before the problem with this controller started I was using, regularly, a USB phone charger. A "USAMS" charger that has an ampere meter built into it. The exact moment when the problem started I noticed that the ampere readings were on the low side. It was usually 0.800a or something close to that, but this time it was about 0.140a. I reconnected the controller to see if it had been the cable, and then it wasn't charging at all. I pressed the reset button while not connected and then tried again and now it was around 0.140a again, but unstable. Then I tried resetting again (I don't remember if connected or disconnected) and then it wasn't charging at all again, for good... Of course, this was the case until I did the "trick" I wrote above here.  :tup:

After the "fix" I kept using the controller for about 2 or 3 months with no problem whatsoever, until I had to sell my PC and the controller shortly after.

What do you think happened here? Was it "luck"? Or was it something that we could use to fix some other no-charge controllers? Because I'd really like to believe the latter, but I've tried the "trick" again with other controllers and no luck whatsoever. I'm considering to use them for some time just like I did with this JDM-040. I think maybe there was an electron missing inside the charge chip that was later replaced with another electron that was displaced due to that time using it. I'm only guessing, of course.

What do you think?

Offline Eren_Ackerman

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: A strange occurrence I want to share. It was a JDM-040
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 08:19:40 PM »
Update: a jdm-055 just died on me while trying the trick xD This time I tried it without the battery. Bad idea.

Do not try at home
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 08:21:36 PM by Eren_Ackerman »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal