Author Topic: Battery upgrade questions.  (Read 478 times)

Offline Brian 503

• Acidmods Alumni
  • ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
Battery upgrade questions.
« on: March 02, 2023, 10:00:43 PM »
I have a switch brawler controller that has a 10000mah battery with just two connections +-. I want to put in a switch pro controller battery for more hours of gameplay. The pro controller battery has 3 prongs + - & T. Can I incorperate this battery to work with a two prong connection? Just curious to how I would go about this? Can i solder the + - jumper wires "that plug into the brawler controllers PCB" to the new pro controllers battery + & - connection pads or will I have to tie another wire to the pro batteries T pad and pair it with the negitive or positive connection? Id assume the PCB on the brawler controller would have to be fitted with a internal thermistor which leads me to belive I just have to connect two wires to positive and negotive pads of the new pro controller battery and that should work?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 10:37:51 PM by Brian 503 »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: Battery upgrade questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 12:59:30 PM »
Biggest thing is make sure the are the same chemistry and voltage batteries first, just to get that out of the way. I'd also want to make sure the Brawler battery had a built in protection board before wiring it up, and that it's not just a straight battery pack, though anymore they pretty much all do.

The T connection is most likely for a Thermistor that is inside the Pro battery pack so the charge controller can keep watch on it, but it could be some disgustingly complicated one wire data connection also. Swapping the Brawler pack to the Pro using just the + and - may or may not work, depending on what the Pro controller is expecting to see on that T line. You could measure the Pro battery T to - and see what Ohms value it gives you and then warm the pack up just a touch with a hair dryer and make sure that value changes, then you'll know it's just a Thermistor in there. Then take that room temperature value and eihter install a new Thermistor or just a plain jane fixed Resistor at that value, but caveat, then it will not be able to keep watch on the battery temperature if you do the fixed Resistor. You could carefully open the Pro battery up and use that one, though it may be built into the protection board that's in there.

Tossing the Pro battery into the Brawler would be easier, just ignore the T connection on the battery, but then it will also probably get you about an hour of game time before needing to be recharged.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal