Author Topic: 1708 - Not powering up and no drivers  (Read 424 times)

Offline teeedubb

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
1708 - Not powering up and no drivers
« on: April 20, 2023, 11:29:21 PM »
Hi All,

I'm trying to repair a 1708 controller which does not turn on. When I plug it into a PC via USB two devices show up in windows, both with a yellow exclamation mark on the icon and a 'driver for this device are not installed' status. The two drivers are 'Generic Bluetooth Adapter' and 'WiFi_If'.

Googling WiFi_If yields one link to a reddit post where the fix suggested is to plug and unplug the usb plug quickly and after two cycles it will work again. I wasn't able to get this working, though by chance with the controller disassembled, I had the controller power up and work as intended a couple of times when separating the top and bottom boards with the top board plugged into USB. Also, another thing is, with both boards connected, I can hear a high pitched whine after the controller is plugged in and not recognised. If I unplug the controller after it has successfully worked it goes back to not turning on.

I have successfully updated the controller when it is detected, but this hasn't helped.

Ive looked over both boards and I cant see any damaged components and I don't feel any components getting hot when plugged in.

I'm new to this sort of repair and xbox controllers in general and with google not giving me any hints I thought I'd post here to see if anyone has experienced the same issue or can give me some pointers on how to troubleshoot the issues described above.

Anyone have any tips for repairing this 1708 controller?

Thanks in advance.

Reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/jmj1zc/tech_weekly_xbox_one_tech_support/gb09bnh/
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 11:39:26 PM by teeedubb »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal