Author Topic: CG2 Gamepad c80 fuse blown... Help?  (Read 173 times)

Offline eyeliner

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
CG2 Gamepad c80 fuse blown... Help?
« on: January 31, 2024, 02:11:07 PM »
Hello, friends!

In my gamepad, the start button is the only one that doesn't register. I've opened it up and found this C80 component a bit burnt. My multimeter doesn't show continuity, so I assum that, if it is a capacitor, it's dead. I believe it is, because the surrounding area is black, like in the image below.

I've been searching for a hint for days, but can't find a reference to it.

If I am wrong, may I know what part this is? I'd really like to NOT send this to the recycling center.

Thank you very much.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: CG2 Gamepad c80 fuse blown... Help?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 05:47:22 PM »
It's a Cap, and it will measure open unless you're using a Cap tester. Even then, an open Cap on that line would not keep the button from working and it would still work fine with it missing.

Can't tell from the angle in that image, but check to see if the corrosion around the Cap there has caused the trace to go open.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline eyeliner

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: CG2 Gamepad c80 fuse blown... Help?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 04:23:38 AM »
Thank you for your insight. I have rechecked continuity from the lower point in the button to the capacitor, and had no continuity.

I promptly removed it, and noticed that the pads were not that good (they even came off with the cap, which was surprising), so I've bridged them.

And the final result:

One more free from landfills!

Thanks RDC!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal