Author Topic: UMD Door Jewel Mod  (Read 3182 times)

Offline erb0817

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
UMD Door Jewel Mod
« on: July 06, 2007, 08:19:18 PM »
I just started researching the mods on this site for the psp.  I really liked the idea of the clear UMD door with lights behind it.  Since at the moment there is no way to buy a jewel, I was looking for things that could be used instead.  My thought was one of the plastic covers on the UMDs.  One side has the hole the laser reads the disc through so that side wont work but the other side only has the UMD sticker which may be removable (havnt tried). It is 59mm instead of the 52mm that the jewels are but a slightly larger hole would fix this.  Also i was wondering if it would be possible to cut a CD case and use that.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
edit: this guy has seemed to thought of my ideahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4DL22q8OZM&mode=related&search=
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 08:49:06 AM by erb0817 »

Offline h4x0r911

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Replacement jewel
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 10:58:07 PM »
u can get a plexiglass from homedepot and get a dremel and cut a circle then sand it down to size! that is what i did! unfortunately i only have webcam quality so can't really show it! its just plain right now! don't want to buy a 2000 cnc engraver lol! and neubit is off service!

what u can do though is cut a whole in ur umd door and cut a piece of square from a cd case and glue gun it! thats what i did before! buy the plastic will be layed back a bit! to make it look good and hide that i didn't cut a 52mm circle instead kept the silver ring and only did that center part where psp logo is! so it kind of hides the plastic being layed behind the door instead of flush! then i go tired and lights couldn't fit with this cd case thing so i just got a plexi and dremel and fit it in!

PM me to let me know if you like my SIG!! lol!! or any suggestions or if it breaks forum rules!

Offline Johnny5

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 02:43:05 AM »
I just started researching the mods on this site for the psp.  I really liked the idea of the clear UMD door with lights behind it.  Since at the moment there is no way to buy a jewel, I was looking for things that could be used instead.  My thought was one of the plastic covers on the UMDs.  One side has the hole the laser reads the disc through so that side wont work but the other side only has the UMD sticker which may be removable (havnt tried). It is 59mm instead of the 52mm that the jewels are but a slightly larger hole would fix this.  Also i was wondering if it would be possible to cut a CD case and use that.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
edit: this guy has seemed to thought of my ideahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4DL22q8OZM&mode=related&search=

Im currently working on three Jewels that I made. The door is not as hard to do but its the Jewels getting them to be a perfect circle is where Im getting stuck at. The three I have are pretty close but you can see a few spots where it was sanded down a little to much. Currently Im putting a engraving on the plastic Jewel I made by hand which is turning out pretty well. Ill try to post pictures of it when its done of the UMD door cut out and one of the Jewels.

As for plexi I tried using the 3mm from Home Depot and Ace but when I was done and put it in it was to big and was hitting the switch at the very bottom that the UMD cartridge hits. I flushed it but than it was sticking out of the door a bit and looked weird in angles so I started over with 2mm. I think that is the best route to go. In one of my posts there is a member who was very helpful and told me to go with 2mm as well. I did the 3mm before he stated. CD case is pretty thin but it should be possible.

Offline erb0817

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 04:22:08 AM »
I think ill go with a piece of plexi from Home Depot.  Johnny5, what did you use to cut the plexi into a circle, a Dremel tool?  Is it ok to use 5mm (like http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062572&cp=2032058.2032233.2032298&parentPage=family) LED in the door mod? Only one though instead of two.  And does the door mod need a resistor the tutorial doesn't have anything about supplies. 

As far as I can understand, there is a 5V power source and a 3.6V source. The LED in the above link has a voltage of 2.1-2.8v and a max current of 30mA.  Using the resistor calculator and these characteristics, I determined that if I use the 5V source I need a 100 ohm 1/4 watt resistor. Is this correct and possible to use.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 08:47:48 AM by erb0817 »

Offline simcityltd

• Cyberpyrot's Personal Assistant
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0

• AcidMods
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 09:58:52 AM »
I think ill go with a piece of plexi from Home Depot.  Johnny5, what did you use to cut the plexi into a circle, a Dremel tool?  Is it ok to use 5mm (like http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062572&cp=2032058.2032233.2032298&parentPage=family) LED in the door mod? Only one though instead of two.  And does the door mod need a resistor the tutorial doesn't have anything about supplies. 

As far as I can understand, there is a 5V power source and a 3.6V source. The LED in the above link has a voltage of 2.1-2.8v and a max current of 30mA.  Using the resistor calculator and these characteristics, I determined that if I use the 5V source I need a 100 ohm 1/4 watt resistor. Is this correct and possible to use.

I think 5mm will be tooo big

Below is a post neubit done a while ago.

Jewel thickness: 2mm

Jewel diameter: 52mm

Etching depth: 0.1 - 0.3 mm (depends on the amount of detail on the design)

Etching technique: Engraving 3D

Software: Gravostyle'98, Gravostyle5, Type3, AutoCAD, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Macromedia Freehand.

Machine Specs:

IS200

Machine Size 500 x 455 x 295 mm
Net weight: 20kg
Max. engraving area 225 x 80 mm

Vice
Max. length Unlimited
Max. opening: 140 mm
Height of jaws: 16mm
Spindle and jig clearance: 14mm

Standard spindle
Tool Type: Rotating, top-loading
Diameter: 4.36 mm
Max. rotation speed: 17000 tr/min.

Spindle displacement speed
Off-load travelling speed: 27 mm/s
Working speed up to 25 mm/s

Spindle travel in Z direction: 15mm
[/size]

Action video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bOAxvlceI4
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bOAxvlceI4[/youtube]

Offline insane_vampiro

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: UMD Door Jewel Mod
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 01:08:23 AM »
can you engrave anything? like i want to see its possible to do the chinese heaven symbol (akuma's Symbol on his back?) and please name your price?

Offline T3KN1K4L

• Virtual Modder Development Slavedriver!
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Not Admin
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 12:35:12 PM »
can you engrave anything? like i want to see its possible to do the chinese heaven symbol (akuma's Symbol on his back?) and please name your price?

https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?board=240.0  Head over to the Jewel factory and let them know what you want (After reading through the stickies, and they should be able to give you a price.

Offline Kenshinffx

• Le Artiste
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • The Pain matters not, Only the Journey ahead
    • Acidmods
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 12:45:45 PM »

I've always wanted to do that one.  I really want to do "The Son Of God"  That's the one that is on Shin Akuma's back.

Offline Luke

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 12:16:00 AM »
sorry of ftpoic but does anyone kno where i can get one of those engraving machines ? and how much they cost

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 12:26:02 AM »
you can cut out the psp ring bit but keep the middle "PSP" part then cut off a square from the front of a CD case and glue it to the empty door then glue the psp sign back on so where the silver ring used to be its clear. You can then add leds behind it and it looks real cool when then UMD spins :tup:
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal