Author Topic: Soldering a wireless receiver directly onto laptop's mobo?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Darkzero

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
Soldering a wireless receiver directly onto laptop's mobo?
« on: December 17, 2008, 08:58:47 PM »
I have a wireless mouse, I like it a lot.

I do not, however, enjoy the receiver sticking out of my laptop. I tend to set my laptop on it's side or back, to prevent it from overheating, and the receiver gets in the way.

Now, here's a pic of the mouse as it is:

Here's some pics of it open (sorry for the poor quality, my camera sucks really bad :/ ):

I don't have any pics of my laptop's mobo as it stands atm.

Basically, i'd like to solder it directly to the mobo, or solder wires from it directly to the mobo.

My questions are;

A) This is my first computer mod, all my previous mods had tutorials w/ PSP & PS2. I honestly don't really even know where to start. I have Flux, solder, a soldering iron, plenty of wires. I was originally thinking, I could desolder the USB connector on my mouse's reciever, and solder it wire-by-wire onto the USB attached to my mobo.. But i'm unsure about if that'll work, and I don't want to completely disable one of my USB's- which brings me to my second question.

B) Can I do it without completely disabling a USB port?

C) Space isn't really an obstacle, but keeping it in place is. I was thinking of wrapping the finished product in electrical tape, and hot glueing it in place. Bad idea? :[

Thanks a ton.

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
Re: Soldering a wireless receiver directly onto laptop's mobo?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 09:13:08 PM »
1 not unless you use a usb hub. you cant have multipule devices pluged in to the same port with out a hub as far as i know.

2 as for tape use heat shrink to close it up

Offline Darkzero

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Soldering a wireless receiver directly onto laptop's mobo?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 09:33:43 PM »
I've been looking around alot, the way I originally wanted it to work will not.

I have to solder an internal USB port into my laptop, as shown here:
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/internal-logitech-nano-receiver-modification-t312.html

My issue with that, is that I have no worldly Idea where the other end of those wires need to go.

The modder solders them here:
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/download/file.php?id=54

I don't know how she knew that the wires go there, and I don't see anywhere on my laptop's mobo that has empty pins like that. x_x

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal