Author Topic: umd reader being werid  (Read 1586 times)

Offline menwhar12

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • psp phat- 5.00-6 m33
umd reader being werid
« on: March 29, 2009, 06:42:23 PM »
ok this is what happened about half a year ago my umd reader wouldn't work and my freind started fooling around in the door were it reads and it started to work and i asked him how he did it and he didnt know. now last week it stoped working any ideas???  :confused: :confused:

Offline pspupgrade

• Club AM VIP
  • King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bother Bother Bother
    • PSP Upgrade
Re: umd reader being werid
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 10:49:47 PM »
Well, I'm guessing he must've stuck a pen in there and just randomly pushed things with it. A
Anyway, I like to use Llamma's site for this. The full tutorial is at http://www.llamma.com/PSP/repair/PSP_UMD_Not_Reading_Discs.htm]
[url]http://www.llamma.com/PSP/repair/PSP_UMD_Not_Reading_Discs.htm
[/url]
So first what we need to do is find out what is actually wrong with your PSP.

With your PSP in hand.
Turn on your PSP and remove any UMD that might be in there now.
If you open up the UMD door and look down inside you will see the Laser assembly.

If you look to the left there is a black tab that sticks up, this tells the PSP that there is a UMD in the drive.

If you press this down with a small probe, you should see the disc motor spin and the laser light up red
 *** CAUTION DO NOT STARE DIRECTLY AT THE LASER ***

If the Motor is not spinning.  is it moving slightly? Maybe a little twitch?
I would lean more towards the bad motor problem BUT would not say for sure, I would recommend that you take the parts out and see if there is another problem also.

If the laser is not lighting up then it could be the laser, I would try and check the cables to the PSP and see if there is a bad connection.

If both are running well then lets put a disc in and get your ear up close so you can hear what is going on in there.
On a working PSP you will hear the disc start to spin up, then you can hear the laser start to twitch, followed by the laser motor moving the laser down the rails.

Can you hear the disc spin up? If not I would take the disc out again and press the switch with your probe again.  if the disc motor is spinning again, look around to see if the metal housing is obstructing the disc when you put it in.. there could be to much pressure for the disc to spin freely.

Can you hear the Laser focus? This might be hard to hear it will sound like a little tick. If you cant hear it tick I would move on and inspect this internally  later.

Can you hear the Laser move down the rail? This will be a smooth sound of the gears, it should not be a really clicky sound.
If you can't hear it move down the track OR it is very clicky follow this.

Then he has the solutions on the bottom of the page.
I'm guessing that this'll be enough to fix your problem.
It's the basics that bring us down.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal