Author Topic: Triple battery mod  (Read 24378 times)

Offline Siggen

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • FileSock.Sourceforge.net
Triple battery mod
« on: December 30, 2007, 03:11:28 PM »
I'm new to console modding(except mod-chips), but I'm not new to the art of soldering (even created my own power supply from scratch, but don't ask what it was for cos it was only a school project ^^ )

So i though I'd share my ideas here... But I'm really posting to ask question.
Here is my schematic, my question is below the picture, and pardon my English ^^

My first question obviously would be do you think this would work? The main thing here is the triple battery thing.
And would I still have room for a internal camera? One that would be as little as possible visible (don't have to be invisible or anything :P )
And with the internal camera, would the USB charger mod still work?, I'm guessing it would work with 3 batteries parallel.

Well removing the UMD tray has been done for loads of mods, ultimately this mod wont leave a visible trace(except a possible camera)
do you think there is room for 2 slim batteries, and I'm guessing i should have a slim battery in the original slot to if they are connected in parallel.

Tech Support Crew at The Gathering 08 (worlds second biggest LAN party)

Offline Lazyface

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Triple battery mod
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 03:54:51 PM »
well i put two battery's on the back of my slim and they both barley fit so idk. it is going to be a touch job

Offline *FuFa

• learn2/spell/
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Spam King Barfday Boy¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 03:56:59 PM »
Why using slim batterys? They have less capacity and are so small that there will be some room left for more, but you can't find any more batterys in there. Use some cellphone batterys, stack them , there can go 2 batterys for each "Box" you drawn, that would be a total of 6 batterys, pick some with 900 mAh each, that would be 6x900mAh=5400mAh.
1800 mAh will give you lets say 6 hours, 6 hours x 3 means you got 18 hours of gaming fun with your PSP. But be aware, that many Batterys weight alot.

Have no shame in being kindly and gentle, but if the time comes in the time of your life to kill, kill and have no regret. In the time of your life, live so that, in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it.

Offline Siggen

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 04:01:55 PM »
I figured that the camera is to space consuming, and it does not agree with the charger mod, or even usb file transfer....
so I'm leaving it out....

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 04:53:45 PM »
I figured that the camera is to space consuming, and it does not agree with the charger mod, or even usb file transfer....
so I'm leaving it out....
*sigh* Wait for mine,it's coming soon.It doesn't use the drive,and ALLOWS the usb charger,and the use of the usb still. I'm buying my new camera soon,and I'm making it for the slim.It's the same concept for the phat though,so keep an eye on the slim section,and watch my sig,I'll keep updates in there.

As for your mod,not even one phat battery will fit,they're took thick.Like fufa said,try using cell batteries,or try NDS batteries for more,but the mAh is far less.

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 05:02:07 PM »
in pretty much every case bigger batteries will have more amps, so the more space you consume the better amperage your gonna get.

[CAUTION RHETORICAL QUESTION]

like, theres 12v batteries small enough to fit in a bluetooth dongle and then theres 12v batteries that fit in cars to run  them, which is the more powerful battery?

Offline Siggen

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 05:49:57 PM »
First of, the battery in a car does not run the car, its simply a start junction.
second, a 12v battery is a 12v battery...
3 i guess the car battery will last long... a lot longer

you could easily get a AAA battery to run on 500V, but you wont get more effect form it.
--------------------------
*sigh* Wait for mine,it's coming soon.It doesn't use the drive,and ALLOWS the usb charger,and the use of the usb still. I'm buying my new camera soon,and I'm making it for the slim.It's the same concept for the phat though,so keep an eye on the slim section,and watch my sig,I'll keep updates in there.

As for your mod,not even one phat battery will fit,they're took thick.Like fufa said,try using cell batteries,or try NDS batteries for more,but the mAh is far less.

Well how about the slim batteries, how would they fit?  they are 1200mAh,and same size just thinner....
cuz they are 1300mAh, and the DS are only 850mAh, but i dont know the exact size though.
and my sony ericsson phone has a far to wide battery(about 1/3 cm on eye measure), but is about 1/3 the thikness, and only 950mAh

the phat extended batteries form sony are 2200mAh.. so if i could fit 3 of those, and maybe have no back cover, but straps to have them thight, that would be 6600mAh...

and i hope for your new mod to be compatible with this triple battery thing (size matters :) )
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 06:14:03 PM by Siggen »

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 06:15:22 PM »
First of, the battery in a car does not run the car, its simply a start junction.
second, a 12v battery is a 12v battery...
3 i guess the car battery will last long... a lot longer

you could easily get a AAA battery to run on 500V, but you wont get more effect form it.
First off,yes your right.
Second,no.It depends on mAh,a 12v batt is not just a 12v batt...
3,obviously,car batts have more mAh then wimpy little regular 12v batts

Are you high?No you can't! If you used a step up converter and got a AAA to like 3v(double the usual) it would last like 1 minute,it's not made for that,AAA don't have high mAh,so if you stepped it up,it would die.Extremely fast. Research.

Offline Maximize

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 06:27:23 PM »
I think it is doable you would def. need to remove the shells, I have been considering putting 1 batt. in there as well as a bluetooth set up like jair2k4. 

But how would it be wired up, would you have to use a switch to select which battery  is being used?

Offline *FuFa

• learn2/spell/
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 06:30:02 PM »
I think it is doable you would def. need to remove the shells, I have been considering putting 1 batt. in there as well as a bluetooth set up like jair2k4. 

But how would it be wired up, would you have to use a switch to select which battery  is being used?

No wire them paralell, then they will work as one battery.

Have no shame in being kindly and gentle, but if the time comes in the time of your life to kill, kill and have no regret. In the time of your life, live so that, in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it.

Offline Siggen

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 06:31:03 PM »
First off,yes your right.
Second,no.It depends on mAh,a 12v batt is not just a 12v batt...
3,obviously,car batts have more mAh then wimpy little regular 12v batts

Are you high?No you can't! If you used a step up converter and got a AAA to like 3v(double the usual) it would last like 1 minute,it's not made for that,AAA don't have high mAh,so if you stepped it up,it would die.Extremely fast. Research.

I was of course not referring to actually using a AAA battery at 500V, but there is not problem in the proof of concept, getting it to give 500V, but it would for sure not last longer than for the meter to measure it (if you have a good meter for it, not the regular you get in the store i guess)

and you always have the instruments electricians use to (i dont know the English name of them) test for faulty in their work..
and they run on batteries to, high voltage low amps... my teacher sent 500v through my class last year... well it tickled, but at so low amps its nothing to be alarmed about...

you would connect + from the extra batteries to + on the original battery socket, and - to -, then they would depleted slower(at two batteries they would deplete half as slow)

« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 06:40:44 PM by Siggen »

Offline Maximize

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 08:11:46 PM »
so the circuit board that is in the battery has to remain attached to each of the Li-ion cells, or could you just wire in the additional cells to the original battery

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 09:49:15 AM »
If your gonna use batteries, use SIXAXIS Batteries, theyre half the thickness of a slim batt, and less wide, you could easily fit 4 in a UMD Door and have the Camera in there too.
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline Maximize

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 10:30:49 AM »

http://www.cellphoneshop.net/baforsopl3si.html

that is pretty sweet, but do you really think 4 plus camera

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 12:27:38 PM »
Yes, 4 because 4 fit
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

phenomenal

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 01:20:08 PM »
Little tip, on the motherboard there are 6 metal tabs just under the battery connector, 3 on each side, they are connected to the tip to wire them to there, it will make it neater and if you actually did it on the prongs, then the battery might not fit properly

Offline Siggen

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 01:39:26 PM »
the sixaxis batteries looks great, but they are 3.7V and the PSP batteries are 3.6V
any thoughts on that? if it would work... then im sure to use these.. and ill probably make these in the mod...
and if they would fit with the UMD tray removed, but the UMD lid all intact, it would be awesome and it would be so easy to replace the batteries and such if that would be needed...
and the SIXAXIS batteries would be easier to install to..

but the .1V higher could be a problem... and a step down would take to much room, but i need to look into this, any thoughts would be much appreciated, cuz the SIXAXIS looks like the best choice so far.

Offline *FuFa

• learn2/spell/
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 02:12:21 PM »
It's not a problem, charge your PSP Battery fully, and messure it, your battery i´will have like 4v. I don't think your PSP exploded yet, so go ahead, 0.1 is nothing.

Offline Siggen

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 02:50:47 PM »
It's not a problem, charge your PSP Battery fully, and messure it, your battery i´will have like 4v. I don't think your PSP exploded yet, so go ahead, 0.1 is nothing.

thanks i was just worried if some fine components would be rendered broken, but thanks
i will measure when i get back home (I'm visiting my mother, boring) just for fun, but i believe you..
now the next step would be to get the hold of these SIXAXIS batteries in norway.. hoping i dont have to order form outside the country.

A tad off topic:
so could anyone provide a link to a guide that contains removal of the UMD tray... i have not yet opened my psp, and i would like to get a heads up on what I'm in for. tho im doing the usb charger mod next week, my friend has a large bag full of small screw drives (and other equipment) do you think it would be enough to open the psp whit out ruining the psp's screws? or do i need a special screwdrive

Offline *FuFa

• learn2/spell/
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 02:52:11 PM »
Head over to the Wiki, there should be a tutorial somewhere, should be about Jewel etc.

Offline Siggen

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2008, 04:14:58 PM »
Head over to the Wiki, there should be a tutorial somewhere, should be about Jewel etc.

Sorry i cant find it in the Wiki https://www.acidmods.com/Wiki/tiki-listpages.php
am i blind, or is am i looking at the wrong spot? the forum search engine was no help

Sorry, i feel stupid for asking this...

Offline *FuFa

• learn2/spell/
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2008, 04:47:08 PM »
Sorry i cant find it in the Wiki https://www.acidmods.com/Wiki/tiki-listpages.php
am i blind, or is am i looking at the wrong spot? the forum search engine was no help

Sorry, i feel stupid for asking this...

You could be blind : P

https://www.acidmods.com/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=PSP%20UMD%20Door%20Mod

Offline Siggen

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2008, 05:18:48 PM »
Thanks Bookmarked! since i might not find it again :)

following the video's i think i would have to do everything all the way to him removing the back lid, then screw out the cage in what looked like screws.. then remove the cage of the umd tray, and maybe saw something of it for more space, and then remove the laser and the motor and stuff like that.. then fit the (maybe modified) cage back on, and the lid.. then I've removed the UMD tray successfully.. thats theoretically speaking

Now I'm getting my hands on 4 of those SIXAXIS batteries, just hope my g/f will order them for me as my card wont go online for some reason. :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 05:41:25 PM by Siggen »

Offline sconer

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2008, 06:11:37 PM »

Haha..as a side note, nobody attempt this unless you are 100% sure of what you're doing. If you mix the wires wrong..may as well forget about contending that beauty pageant you were thinking about.

Offline Siggen

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2008, 08:07:48 PM »
how can i connect this wrongly?!?!
its plus to plus and minus to minus...
its as simple as that

Offline sconer

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2008, 08:28:23 PM »
how can i connect this wrongly?!?!
its plus to plus and minus to minus...
its as simple as that

It was geared towards noobies attempting your project.

Offline Korlithiel

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2008, 08:58:59 PM »
Just a thought, after you go through with this and assuming it is successful you should do some tests to find out the battery life.

Offline Siggen

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2008, 09:55:19 PM »
sure. but there is a battery screen showing estimated time left ^^
but i could do more tests.. leave it on while playing MP3 and such...

i assume it will be success full, just need to order the darn batteries..
easier said than done when your card is ruined ^^

considering that its nice to rip a umd game or two whit out the need of a friends psp.. i might try to make the UMD drive external. if it only has 4 connectiors, it would be fairly easy to fit it to a USB mini plug. and maybe have that lose in the empty umd tray (well its not empty if i can get 4 batteries in it :) )

lets see, this is just if it's not to much work :) it would be nice for everyone that has no umd drive in their psp :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 11:49:52 PM by Siggen »

Offline freestyle72

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 03:58:58 AM »
sure. but there is a battery screen showing estimated time left ^^
but i could do more tests.. leave it on while playing MP3 and such...

i assume it will be success full, just need to order the darn batteries..
easier said than done when your card is ruined ^^

considering that its nice to rip a umd game or two whit out the need of a friends psp.. i might try to make the UMD drive external. if it only has 4 connectiors, it would be fairly easy to fit it to a USB mini plug. and maybe have that lose in the empty umd tray (well its not empty if i can get 4 batteries in it :) )

lets see, this is just if it's not to much work :) it would be nice for everyone that has no umd drive in their psp :)

The external umd idea is very smart.

Offline Siggen

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008, 04:35:53 AM »
well its really possible, here is an example of how.. (the pin tips is thanks to pvp, he used it for another thing)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal