Author Topic: UMD Drive Replacement Troubles..  (Read 3851 times)

Offline infekto

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
UMD Drive Replacement Troubles..
« on: January 14, 2008, 05:46:27 PM »
Hey you guys long time viewer first time poster. Im quite sorry for making a new thread but someone deleted my old post assuming I broke some sort of rule I made this thread.

Heres my dilemma I broke my UMD drive a few weeks ago and ordered a replacement (divineo.com) got it today I hooked it all up and its not reading anything it just spins the disc and 10 seconds later decides to stop. They did put a dab of solder on the ribbon and I am under the idea that it has to be removed.

Any help??

Thank you everyone.   

Offline anthonyta

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-0
Re: UMD Drive Replacement Troubles..
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 06:29:50 PM »
i suggest getting a memory stick mod your psp and sell your umds. then mod your psp =]

Offline infekto

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 06:33:04 PM »
Thats more of a moral thing for me, I want to own the games. Plus I didnt buy a replacement for nothing did I? =P

Offline vskid

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • vskid3 Industries
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 07:08:06 PM »
Buy the UMDs and just run them off a memory stick.  Then you still pay them, and you can play them and have faster load times.

Offline infekto

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 07:13:55 PM »
I do have an 8gb for my psp and custom firmware so nothing is stopping me. I would love to get it working though.

Do I remove the solder or no? Because I read somewhere on this forum that companies do that so if something zaps it the part wont be deemed useless.

Offline ProperBritish

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Raining Blood! From A Lacerated Sky!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 11:34:02 PM »
pics

Quote from: ≤Ʀαωгу≥
you know who i would bone? daffy duck

Offline crazyl69

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 11:41:16 PM »
     Did you double check that your replacement umd item got damage while being shiped? Contact the seller and advised of the non working purchased item.

Offline bsbuk

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 11:31:44 AM »
well from my expierience the blob of solder needs to be removed for it to function properly
for examply the following listing shows that anti static blob of solder needs to be removed

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UMD-Replacement-Laser-Reader-Lens-Repair-Part-For-PSP_W0QQitemZ330204326060QQihZ014QQcategoryZ127746QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline infekto

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 01:45:19 PM »
Yeah that doesnt matter anymore the big flap that hooks the screen to the motherboard broke so I need to worry about that, plus the flap that connects the Start, Select, Volume Up and Down broke. So I have bigger problems now.

Thanks acidmodders!!

Offline FaT3oYCG

• Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • (Modder for hire) Live in your world, Mod in ours.
    • Modern-Gamer.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 02:04:37 PM »
lol how did you manage that well i dont open my psp until the parts arrive - and i mean all the parts ill wait for them so i can do it all at once even if it takes more than one day or even longer and dont take off things or mess with things you dont need to - p.s. buy the parts off e-bay replace the cross triangle square and circle pad - the screen connector doesn't matter it is forced in if you put the screen on properly anyway
----- F@T3oYCG -----

Offline infekto

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 04:33:46 PM »
Ok heres my story. Admiring all of your guys work I decided Ill order a clear psp shell right but before I do that Ill take my PSP apart just so I know I can do it. So i do it I end up ripping the disc spinner off of the laser and breaking the on switch. So I order a new cross triangle circle square pad they come in yesterday and I put it all together to find the laser still doesnt work and the switch I bought wont lock so I take my psp apart yet again to get the umd drive out and I wipe off the sticker they also put on only to find the weight of the Start Select buttons ripped the connector out of the circuit board. Then the big black connector flap wouldnt open again so I took it out with a pair of tweezers.

Worst part is I just bought an 8gig and I bought the clear case. =T!!

Offline budgray19

• Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • OH NO MY CHITTY CHICKEN, NOO NOT MY CHITTY BEEF
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 04:53:46 PM »
take everything out and reseat everything
that generaly does the trick

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 11:54:01 PM »
you sure you connected the new UMD right because one little mistake makes the world of difference...on that note i agree with budgray take it all out reset and try your options.
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline infekto

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 05:10:10 PM »
Im sure I did I put the tabs where they should go and screwed in the right screws. Ill figure it out thanks everyone for helping me even though I have like 8 or 9 posts.

bugmenot

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 01:34:30 PM »
 :drunk:    good luck

Offline FaT3oYCG

• Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • (Modder for hire) Live in your world, Mod in ours.
    • Modern-Gamer.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 02:28:52 PM »
Im sure I did I put the tabs where they should go and screwed in the right screws. Ill figure it out thanks everyone for helping me even though I have like 8 or 9 posts.

if you dont mind waiting im repairing another psp that i own in a max of about two weeks probably less so if you dont mind waiting ill video the whole thing for you so you can watch how to do it properly
----- F@T3oYCG -----

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal