Author Topic: Nice small Laptop  (Read 14844 times)

Offline *FuFa

• learn2/spell/
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Spam King Barfday Boy¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯
Nice small Laptop
« on: February 01, 2008, 05:48:14 AM »
Hey guys,
I've been looking for a nice laptop since quite a while, I dont expect it to do any wonders or some hardcore gaming, I just want some small things to do for me. Well it would be so much better if it would have more power than my PC I got now (2 ghz athlon, radeon 9600, 512 ram)

Well the thing is, I don't want to spend over 600 euro on it, and it should be small. I saw a laptop at a store, but that day everything had to go since the shop wanted it all gone, it was tiny, white, and powerful like the fist of an angry god.

Yeah that was actually it.

Have no shame in being kindly and gentle, but if the time comes in the time of your life to kill, kill and have no regret. In the time of your life, live so that, in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it.

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Überm Sternenzelt richtet Gott, wie wir gerichtet
Re: Nice small Laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 08:23:19 AM »
go with a nice HP, they should be cheap enough, and pretty good (though watch out, most pc's come with vista on them)

if not that, then get an Eee PC from Asus

Offline dedafmonteur

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +4/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 08:29:57 AM »
alienware

LMAO

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 11:36:04 AM »
go get a EEE pc, its made by ASUS

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 11:42:37 AM »
Macbook....

i'd go with the EEEpc too.
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline Reaper

• Fear the Reaper!
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Fear the Reaper

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 01:38:33 PM »
i know, it was a response to Deda.

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 02:10:53 PM »
even though i would highly suggest the macbook or air becasue they are a-effing-mazing, if you want cheap and still good and known to be very moddalbe
yes eee pc laptop is vERY EFFING MODABLE

go with ee pc fufa :)

Offline *FuFa

• learn2/spell/
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Spam King Barfday Boy¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 02:38:14 PM »
Sorry if I confused the hell out of you guys, I knew about the EEE PC but it doesnt get anywhere near the specs I wanted. I actually want it to be more powerful then my current one, and play some games on it, not the real bad ass ones, but it should stand some gaming. Sawwy D:

Also 600 euro are 888 dollar, but if you now choose a laptop for 888 dollar, it will probably be 800 euro x__x

Just imagine I said 600 dollar.

Have no shame in being kindly and gentle, but if the time comes in the time of your life to kill, kill and have no regret. In the time of your life, live so that, in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it.

Offline Canadajames

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 02:51:47 PM »
if anyone gets a macbook air I'd laugh at them seeing as it's a piece of crap. its just the true example of consumerism. the comps specs suck and it has like almost no imputs for anything and everything costs extra. get a vaio they are almost the same size but have much more to offer.

Ken i wouldnt have done it any other way
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=15400.0

Offline Reaper

• Fear the Reaper!
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Fear the Reaper
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 02:53:22 PM »
if anyone gets a macbook air I'd laugh at them seeing as it's a piece of crap. its just the true example of consumerism. the comps specs suck and it has like almost no imputs for anything and everything costs extra. get a vaio they are almost the same size but have much more to offer.

yeah, I know
even the 3,000 dollar one is still one of the slowest Cor2 duo out there...

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 03:11:12 PM »

i'll be honest: that is a very close-minded look at it. NO it is not a notebook for everyone! not at all! its not a powerhorse, but its geared toward a market, in which i already know 3 people who could use it

mind you it is a small  market, but the air is innovative because apple is to a certain extent making the move away from optical media and the half size intel chip. as for the market, its travellers who don't need the uuber power and love mac osx becuase its its beuaty and advantages

as for fufa i showed him an IBM thinkpad that had what he needed and was affordable

good luck n deciding fufa :D

Offline dedafmonteur

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +4/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 04:54:48 PM »
Get a medion one, from the aldi.
we got 2 of them and they rock dude

Offline Canadajames

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 04:55:53 PM »
k if you wanna waste 2000$ on a thing good for nothing more then simple process or maybe the odd bit of media be my guest i would rather spend half the price on a laptop .5" bigger and get way more. the shrinking o the chip is cool and all and can be used in other laptops but still doesnt validate the price. I am anti apple but this just tears it. I will admit it looks sexy but its a crap deal and apple is running straight to the bank with the money people waste on it. p.s. other macs would even be better i think. you do have to admit though from what i've seen your a mac fanboy. i'm anti apple though too. (have an ipod though  :sadno:)

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 05:00:17 PM »
OI OI OI OI OI!

Stop Apple Bashing! The Air is aimed at a small market, find a portable Sony model with similar specs for cheaper.

Want to see how alert deda is.

ALIENWARE SUCK!!!!

Offline Reaper

• Fear the Reaper!
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Fear the Reaper
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 05:07:58 PM »
$1591.00-Sony Vaio with stats better than the High end Mac Air

#
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.40GHz) [Estimated ship date 2/19/08]
#
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
#
2 GB DDR-SDRAM (DDR2-667, 1 GBx2)
#
160 GB Hybrid Hard Disk Drive
#
DVD±R DL / DVD±RW / DVD-RAM Drive
#
Camera
#
13.3" WXGA
#
Wireless LAN (802.11a\b\g\n with Bluetooth® technology)
#
No Integrated Wireless Wide Area Network
#
Trusted Platform Module / Biometric Fingerprint Sensor

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 06:10:24 PM »
k if you wanna waste 2000$ on a thing good for nothing more then simple process or maybe the odd bit of media be my guest i would rather spend half the price on a laptop .5" bigger and get way more. the shrinking o the chip is cool and all and can be used in other laptops but still doesnt validate the price. I am anti apple but this just tears it. I will admit it looks sexy but its a crap deal and apple is running straight to the bank with the money people waste on it. p.s. other macs would even be better i think. you do have to admit though from what i've seen your a mac fanboy. i'm anti apple though too. (have an ipod though  :sadno:)

again, very close minded
and i am not a 'fanboy' i hate that term, i am an apple aficianado (sp?)
other macs are better but again THAT PRODUCT IS GEARED TOWARDS A CERTAIN MARKET, of which you obiviously are not
so quit bashing it when you know nothing about it

OI OI OI OI OI!

Stop Apple Bashing! The Air is aimed at a small market, find a portable Sony model with similar specs for cheaper.

Want to see how alert deda is.

ALIENWARE SUCK!!!!

lol, though the truth is they are very good
i like their work, its just not for me

@canada: i dont say ALIENWARE SUCKS, i say what i said above and i mean it, i used one once, but im still in the mac market becaust the alienware is not for me, i dont bash it, especially becuase i dont know all that much about it!

$1591.00-Sony Vaio with stats better than the High end Mac Air

#
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.40GHz) [Estimated ship date 2/19/08]
#
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
#
2 GB DDR-SDRAM (DDR2-667, 1 GBx2)
#
160 GB Hybrid Hard Disk Drive
#
DVD±R DL / DVD±RW / DVD-RAM Drive
#
Camera
#
13.3" WXGA
#
Wireless LAN (802.11a\b\g\n with Bluetooth® technology)
#
No Integrated Wireless Wide Area Network
#
Trusted Platform Module / Biometric Fingerprint Sensor

yes, except ram is the same and the OS in the sony has many many serious problems
but i showed fufa the affordable ibm thinkpad and he seemed to like it

dont rule out the sony, its a nice machine, but i think fufa, who uses xp right now, is looking for an xp system, of which the thinkpad has optional

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 06:37:30 PM »
well ill bash alienware. they do suck ever because dell bought them out. they are just not up to snuff any more your paying more for the name than the computer. i built my own for a bout 1/2 the price and it will stomp the :censored: out of the alienware

Offline Canadajames

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 09:07:17 PM »
well ill bash alienware. they do suck ever because dell bought them out. they are just not up to snuff any more your paying more for the name than the computer. i built my own for a bout 1/2 the price and it will stomp the :censored: out of the alienware

thats what i was thinking of i dont care about alienware either. and how do you now i know nothing about macs my father has one of the newest big models for laptops. my sister has a laptop, and im typing on one right now. I just hate them. The only thing i like about this one opposed to the com downstairs with xp is the speed since the one downstairs is like 7 years old. and comn man aficianado you like macs i dont disrespect you i just dont like apple. they are conning peeps out of paying extra dollars because theyre "cool", and everyoneeeeee has them. omg. The wii is like the mac in that its simple easy to use and the random down the street who barely know how to use email can get more done on a mac. I know its cool. but seriously ever nerd, computer person, techy, or anything i ever talk to that knows anything about computers does not like macs. now i know someones gonna come up and say they do, but they might be a mac person.

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 09:14:59 PM »
thats what i was thinking of i dont care about alienware either. and how do you now i know nothing about macs my father has one of the newest big models for laptops. my sister has a laptop, and im typing on one right now. I just hate them. The only thing i like about this one opposed to the com downstairs with xp is the speed since the one downstairs is like 7 years old. and comn man aficianado you like macs i dont disrespect you i just dont like apple. they are conning peeps out of paying extra dollars because theyre "cool", and everyoneeeeee has them. omg. The wii is like the mac in that its simple easy to use and the random down the street who barely know how to use email can get more done on a mac. I know its cool. but seriously ever nerd, computer person, techy, or anything i ever talk to that knows anything about computers does not like macs. now i know someones gonna come up and say they do, but they might be a mac person.

wow you need to reevaluate who you aim your tirades at. i never said any thing about a mac in this entire thread. so ware do you get of going off on me like that. i was trying to help you out, i suggested you get a EEE, because short of buying something used there is no way your going to get a laptop that can do what you want it to for as cheap as you want. so next time you ask for advice, don't go attacking people when they give it to you.

Offline Canadajames

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 09:25:08 PM »
o know i wasnt ripping you i was thanking you sry if you took it wrong i liked your input i dont like alienware.
p.s. i just noticed this is really off topic we should make topic best laptops.

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 09:28:23 PM »
my bad bro.

Offline Reaper

• Fear the Reaper!
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Fear the Reaper
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2008, 10:29:18 PM »

yes, except ram is the same and the OS in the sony has many many serious problems

Well for the price of the macbook air's low model you could add another gig of ram and buy windows XP pro...  :taunt:

and i am not a 'fanboy' i hate that term, i am an apple aficionado (sp?)

It's one in the same, a fanboy is someone who defends a product no matter how many points are brought up against it

other macs are better but again THAT PRODUCT IS GEARED TOWARDS A CERTAIN MARKET, of which you obiviously are not

Just for giggles, can you tell me what market it's for?
Certainly not the hardcore road warrior market...

Offline hamchapman

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2008, 02:36:01 AM »
The Air's not a bad idea but they didn't need to make it so that it's size and weight are it's main features.

Basically the market for it at the moment is the "Moron Market".

:cool:

Oh and I would also recommend a Thinkpad. The HP I have now and have had for about a year and a half is truly appauling. DO NOT get an HP!

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2008, 03:48:13 AM »
The Air is supposedly aimed at business men who travel all over countries, and just need to be able to check theyre emails and stuff, perfect for aeroplanes, but not as a main laptop, its designed for the person with an iMac at home and a MacPro at work.

Offline Canadajames

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2008, 06:15:07 AM »
which is why it should fail. its ony for peeps who can afford to waste 2000$ because theyre too lazy to carry something a pound more.

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2008, 07:10:53 AM »
The Air is supposedly aimed at business men who travel all over countries, and just need to be able to check theyre emails and stuff, perfect for aeroplanes, but not as a main laptop, its designed for the person with an iMac at home and a MacPro at work.

sweet bajeebus you nailed it on the head
i know 3 people in the position in which they travel a lot, dont need an optical drive, and can benefit from an easier OS (especially my uncle)

and no, its not a main laptop! not at all! its a travel one! and if you love osx because of its ease of use and conveniance, then the price is worth it

and no i am not a fanboy, the one thing i hate about apple is how expensive that stuff is! 50$ for a hardcase for my MBP, thats effing expensive.
Basically the market for it at the moment is the "Moron Market".

thanks for calling my family and some business men who make multimillion deals a bunch of morons

but seriously ever nerd, computer person, techy, or anything i ever talk to that knows anything about computers does not like macs.
the mac is slowly rising and so is its popularity so this statement is rather...how to say... wrong
they're computers that can run other OS's, but the main reason people buy them is for osx which i love (and when i first got an ibook for school i hated, but 2 months later could not get enough of).
i see no valid reason to have utter hate for a company unless it caused serious probems becuase of its product, which apple has not done, not becuase of it nice, stable OS or the build of its computers. i love my mac, i think its awesome, and i think outright hate for them with not serious experiance is outdated because apple is growing, in fact, many colleges are seeing more macbooks and macbook pro's on campus, so the college market is growing for regular apple notebooks (heck this past summer when i was at columbia in nyc and MIT,  i saw way more macbooks then i ever have, and wehn i took a train to massachusetts, the lady next to me had a macbook)
which is why it should fail. its ony for peeps who can afford to waste 2000$ because theyre too lazy to carry something a pound more.
and why it wont fail. becuase osx is great enough, and the conveinance of having it fit basically anywhere, and be light enough to not cause shoulder problems (thats one thing, i lugged my mbp around the airport for 2 hours and it killed my shoulder, this wont do that, its only 3 pounds). its no waste, and the other portable computers are just as if not, then 2-3 pounds heavier.

again, quit bashing somthing when you're not in the target market, its obviously not for you

and if you're wondering why i hate the macs being bashed is becuase of misunderstanding by people who never use them or have used them so little and dont understand them that they hate them (thats the bad kind of not understanding-turning-into-hate), hell, on cod4 online someone was trying to bash me for having a mbp saying macs suck when i clearly was kicking his ass
so i said 'obviously not if im kicking your ass'
and he left
its just another computer from another company, the build just looks different and comes standard with a different OS

and yes this has gone way off subject

as for thinkpad i think fufa is going for it
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 07:26:39 AM by noah03ark »

Offline dedafmonteur

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +4/-0
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2008, 07:28:25 AM »
alienware rocks.

i got the last one with AMD. better said: the last good one..lol

alienware rocks...you just cant afford it..LOL

everyone has it's own taste and i like alienware.

fufa: buy a acer or a medion

Offline Canadajames

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2008, 07:48:26 AM »
i cant afford it :(

and like me and reaper both pointed your being a fanboy its nothng to be  ashamed about im a sony fanboy, i have every console. but i also like other consoles too. i have a feeling half the people at most schools dont know much more about computer in colleges then enter key makes line skip. sry for bad grammer but i know many people with laptops, are in college and everyone of them has no idea how to get into to control panel even. and seriously stop saying im inexperienced every single comp since i was in elementary school has been a mac except when i go home. I know more then most people on the comps doing repair work at the school. and dont use a random example with a noob online, it like apples and oranges my friend. I'm actually in the target market too since i love video editing, music creating, and most media stuff, but if you know anything about computers you will not get a mac, unless your rich i guess, or could run windows, but still its a waste of money, buy a cheaper machine with same capabilities and use a program to emulate OSX.

can we take this debate to another thread though since its interrupting fufa.

and id say go to one of those sites where you can make your own laptop.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 07:54:42 AM by Canadajames »

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2008, 08:06:12 AM »
Quote from: Canadajames on Today at 05:07:17
but seriously ever nerd, computer person, techy, or anything i ever talk to that knows anything about computers does not like macs.

hahah lol. Every Computer technician and PC nerd i know (over 50 people) Either have 1 or several macs, or are buying one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal