Author Topic: [Idea] PSP Fat Palm (?)  (Read 5212 times)

Offline Drajwer

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
[Idea] PSP Fat Palm (?)
« on: March 16, 2008, 04:29:50 AM »
Hey, I've finally got my keyboard working. Its f*** awesome to IRC or surf web, but its not the point of this topic :)

Im sure my idea is not hard, hard part of this mod is to make custom case to care it all.

My point is to:

- Make custom case for PSP (hardest part I think)
- Make custom case for Keyboard (to look better when all completed)
- Remove all buttons on PSP face plate and move them on keyboard.
- Remove useless UMD drive or mod it like CD-Rom or try to make external.
a) build in Hard drive (still waiting for tut   :eyebrow:  )
b) build in Go!Cam
* c) second Cam for Skype/Messenger in front and a switch between (dunno, rather useless)
- PSX Pad connector and holder (yeah, F00f00's PSP)
- Solder keyboard connector to PSP jack and when Keyboard is slided down, then Keyboard is working, otherwise you can still use port normally.
- Move AC adaptor and Jack somewhere else.
- Build in tilt controller (maybe a bit useless to turn off/on switch to use it, and keyboard wont work when tilt is on)
- 2* 9000+ mAh battery pack
- miniSD/SD/MMC/CF/MSD in one reader instead of single MSD.
- WiFi antenna (internal + external)
- TV out (yeah, I saw pinouts of LCD somewhere) and Headphone jack to work with component cables.
- Remove Wi-Fi switch (WiFi always on, we have enough power to power it)
- External Keyboard slot (USB (less space) with PS/2 converter, if we have enough space for uC's ?)
- large, loud speakers on face plate.

Costs:

- Keyboard (costs me $25 at all)
- Custom back plate (im counting on $50-$100) with Slider, worst part of this.
- Custom face plate (I think not much, but still... $20 ?)
- New case for keyboard (to work with slider, etc, maybe new buttons) - $10-$20 ?
- Go!Cam 60$ - (*2?)
- PSX pad and connectors - $15 (maybe)
- WiFi antenna from old router - $0 / Internal one (dunno, could be $5)
- Battery packs (worst case - $70, but worth it, around 18000 mAh) - Li-On !
- Modded card reader to accept cards in one slot - $5-$10

Yeah, in worst case I count on $250 on all. It is absolutely worth it. Worst part of this is to make these Cases with slided keyboard. PSX pad connectors should'nt be so hard when I have more space inside case. And TV-out should be hard. Working with LCD pinouts...  :sadno:

Keyboard with PSP itself:

Sony Ericsson Chatboard CHA-10

All :

(those Shift's on the bottom are Home, -, +, Screen, Note, Select, Start)
It is made in MS Paint, so maybe you wont get the point of this. If anyone can make 3d model of it... Big thanks.

Those lines on the keyboard are Sliders, I hope you get the idea, Keyboard is sliding under PSP.
Something like:
HTC SPV M3000

HTC SPV TyTN2

Something like this:

Any thoughts? Im able to solder it all, but I completely dont know where I can order custom cases.  :confused:
Any of you have any experience with it ?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 04:35:08 AM by Drajwer »

Offline Luke

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
Re: [Idea] PSP Fat Palm (?)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 01:33:01 PM »
its a good idea sounds hard plus that last pic is photoshop

Offline tibor28

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 01:56:51 PM »
man that keyboard is freaking awsome!!! how did u make the psp recognize it?

Offline Drajwer

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 02:26:05 PM »
its a good idea sounds hard plus that last pic is photoshop

Hardest part is to make custom case with sliders a.ka TyTN2 (two metal sliders, hard to break them). Moving PSP controls (d-pad etc) to keyboard should'nt be that hard if we got good case. Moving switches, leds, adding internal go!cam, loud speakers, etc. needs ALOT of hot glue. When I got my case, I get extra space for wiring, etc.

man that keyboard is freaking awsome!!! how did u make the psp recognize it?

I know, it's awesome :) How? Mostly like a guy who connected CHA-10 to GBA.

Offline tibor28

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 02:33:45 PM »
Hardest part is to make custom case with sliders a.ka TyTN2 (two metal sliders, hard to break them). Moving PSP controls (d-pad etc) to keyboard should'nt be that hard if we got good case. Moving switches, leds, adding internal go!cam, loud speakers, etc. needs ALOT of hot glue. When I got my case, I get extra space for wiring, etc.

I know, it's awesome :) How? Mostly like a guy who connected CHA-10 to GBA.
got any tut? or planning to write one? that would be gerat man and i would definitely get the keyboard

Offline Drajwer

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 02:38:02 PM »
got any tut? or planning to write one? that would be gerat man and i would definitely get the keyboard

Maybe soon... But this isn't aim of this topic.

Anyone knows where I could order custom case made from 3d model ?

Offline blueVenom

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 06:13:08 PM »
hey, nice to see that you got the keyboard working. i had the same idea and I've already started making custom cases. but nothing working out. hope your up for the challenge. Good luck.

Offline rhcp28

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 07:41:06 PM »
that 3d model has to be one of the sickest things i have ever seen! Good Luck! i honestly hope you find out how to make it because im kinda clueless and would like to try it out if their was a tut

but wat about the keyboard on the 3d model?

i think it would be cool to have the psp buttons when you slide it down and a keyboard when you slide the other way
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 08:20:05 PM by rhcp28 »

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 09:39:47 PM »
if you could post a tut on how to get that keyboard working i would be very gratefull great idea for a mod i can't wait to see a finished product. Some ideas you may like :dntknw:

-make the wifi antenna external but removable mabe puchace a 9dbi rubber duck one that could like flip up from the side to the keyboard when opened?

-Add some bigger speakers to your case somewhere and mabe make a internal 1watt stero amp to get some good gain.

-wire some leds inside the keyboard so it lights up the keys. Mabe a switch between sound reactive ones?

-just a random idea but you could like mount the mem slot reader on the back internally on the keyboad. kinda cool i guess :tup:

-internal mike for go messenger and socom

-pioneer the removable psp mouse :dribble:

i dont know if any of them are any good but if you like one feel free to try it out :hifive:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 10:09:27 PM by GhoSt_Death »
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline Drajwer

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 12:24:20 AM »
hey, nice to see that you got the keyboard working. i had the same idea and I've already started making custom cases. but nothing working out. hope your up for the challenge. Good luck.

You make your own, or ordered somewhere ? By 3d model?

if you could post a tut on how to get that keyboard working i would be very gratefull great idea for a mod i can't wait to see a finished product. Some ideas you may like :dntknw:

-make the wifi antenna external but removable mabe puchace a 9dbi rubber duck one that could like flip up from the side to the keyboard when opened?

-Add some bigger speakers to your case somewhere and mabe make a internal 1watt stero amp to get some good gain.

-wire some leds inside the keyboard so it lights up the keys. Mabe a switch between sound reactive ones?

-just a random idea but you could like mount the mem slot reader on the back internally on the keyboad. kinda cool i guess :tup:

i dont know if any of them are any good but if you like one feel free to try it out :hifive:

Yes, card reader (Soon I get SD/MMC to MSD) - I mean one slot for all types like in normal readers or laptops. Will be nice to insert cards on keyboard.

PSP Mouse.. Dunno.
LEDs on keyboard will be cool, but then I must change all buttons. Not so good...

About keyboards, We have about 3 keyboards working and ready to sell. But it is from poland, and we do not have eBay accounts...

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 12:40:55 AM »
i think you would just be able to mount 0603 smt leds behind those buttons without replace wont you? :dntknw: .
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline Luke

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 04:31:20 AM »
i think it would be cool to have the psp buttons when you slide it down and a keyboard when you slide the other way
i bet sony steal this idea and put it into the psp 2 watch them.

Offline rhcp28

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 11:19:12 AM »
what about software, would you need any for the keyboard or any other parts?

Offline Drajwer

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 11:30:28 AM »
what about software, would you need any for the keyboard or any other parts?

For keyboard I'm using piKey and it is working perfectly. Can't typo 2 keys in same time but, hey, ITS WORKING!

Offline Thorax

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 05:15:40 PM »
What you might want to do first is make a 3d model of the entire thing first. Get a good modeling program (Like AutoCAD Inventor) and measure/recreate everything (Mobo, Powerboard, etc.) in your program. Put all the 3d parts together and work on a case to put them in. Then you find the dimintions of your case and send in a few pics to a CNC place. They could probally make you a case for cheap. I know it sounds like a lot, but there isn't really an easy way to do this.

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
    • ROOKIE BUILDERS DISCORD
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 07:24:24 PM »
i read something on this keyboard idea and it has been done but its been awhile since i looked into it,.. but someone out there has already accomplished this,. i just dont kno who

*Thanks Modders/Friends:Ghost_Death, gr8npwrfl, Blizzrad, Kenshinffx.
*Thanks 802Chives for the Art position!

Offline Drajwer

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 02:01:04 AM »
What you might want to do first is make a 3d model of the entire thing first. Get a good modeling program (Like AutoCAD Inventor) and measure/recreate everything (Mobo, Powerboard, etc.) in your program. Put all the 3d parts together and work on a case to put them in. Then you find the dimintions of your case and send in a few pics to a CNC place. They could probally make you a case for cheap. I know it sounds like a lot, but there isn't really an easy way to do this.

So... Uhhh... Sounds alot. What do you mean by CNC ? I need to put all things inside 3d model ? Mobo, etc. ? I never do these things before...

I think I should do small things first, case for mp3 player with speakers, etc.

I heard about "vacuum cases", any experiences with it ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal