Author Topic: Slim internal microphone **more pictures and better explanation**  (Read 31317 times)

Offline Maximize

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
okay so I have gotten tired of the buggy phat analog, and have moved on to modding a slim

I put a mic into my slim

it came from this LG phone

and a view of how small it is (under 3mm)

ground down this little nub and glued the mic in its place, ran the wires in the path shown

ground down these two little protrusions and trimmed down the parts of the circle and removed the tiny nub

the light blue arrows, point to the circle trimming, and dark blue is the nub removed

made the hole larger for the mic to stick through

then over to the a/v daughterboard

these are the solder points the view is from the bottom of the psp with the headphone jack is the circle on the left and the left arrow is the input, making right be ground

you can see that the bottom pins are the top in this view (where the red arrow points) and the top pins are recesssed behind (where the green arrow points).

So I lifted the inner 3 top pins soldered the 2 wires in and resoldered the 3 pins back in place.

video using arts audio mechanica so you can see it and hear a recording

I used the loco roco plugin like from my other internal mic (phat) psp

http://dl.qj.net/LocoRoco-Motion-Plugin-v0.99-PSP-Homebrew-Applications/pg/12/fid/15500/catid/151

you can add the plugin to the game.txt, and vsh.txt to enable it in homebrew, games, and the XMB
this basically enables the serial port with out a headphone jack in place, but it is not necessary if you intend to use headphones

https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=14674.0

« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 04:53:03 PM by Maximize »

Offline l0rdnic0

• 2%
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +8/-0
  • TeamCYBER

Re: Slim internal microphone
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 11:22:09 PM »
I want more info think you can build a full tut?

L0rdNiC0 Pioneering Mods on the PSP Slim :taunt:
Sound Mod, Button LED Mod, Security Mod, Dual NUB, Mode Select Switch + More

Offline ApheX

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • PSP And PSP Slim Case/Hardware Modder
    • ApheX MoDs
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 04:46:15 AM »
 :tup: Nice work Maximize!  :tup:

Offline Maximize

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 03:46:08 PM »
yeah I'll make a clean tut, maybe next week

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 04:13:30 PM »
WHOAH HICE! tut please!!
However today I was brutally raped by a door handle, and none of my friends helped me up off the floor after ten minutes, instead they all teabaged me, all 10 of them...

Offline zer0

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 01:16:59 PM »
nice!
Bump for tut status?

Maybe you could post a quick pic of the mic solder points?

skype.

Offline Maximize

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 07:11:19 AM »
sorry but I am not ready to take mine back apart here is where i put my wires

the drawing is from the bottom of the psp the headphone jack is the circle on the left.  and the left arrow is input

Offline zer0

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 10:37:10 AM »
Ahh ok thanks, I tried that pinout before I found this thread. When it didn't work with skype I assumed I had it wrong somehow.
After testing I see the mic is working fine in Audio Mechanica, it's just not being detected by skype :[

I'm guessing Skype requires communication on the remote detect pin before enabling audio input. Might have to sacrifice an official headset unless anyone has another idea. I'd rather not spend $30 on a headset just for the ic. Back to google

(posted by jube)
1) Mic input
2) Tx
3) Dgnd ( Agnd in Comp Cable mode )
4 ) Y
5) Agnd
6) Pr
7) rx
8) +vs ( this behaves as a psp phat, ie see all other threads for sce remote device power behaviour )
9) Cable detect input ( 42k to gnd= component cable present )
10) remote detect line ( cts )
11) Pb
12) Agnd

Offline Maximize

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 11:16:14 AM »
try the loco roco motion plugin found at qj.net and listed in my other internal microphone (phat) thread

it should turn on the serial port with out the need for a headphone jack

it works on mine

http://dl.qj.net/LocoRoco-Motion-Plugin-v0.99-PSP-Homebrew-Applications/pg/12/fid/15500/catid/151

Offline alexandercyle

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • dont put marbles in your nose!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 09:47:02 AM »
and this will make skype work??? this is why i did this mod can i just run the resistor to the groud for the detect and if so will that cut something else off??? i guess i could just try this if you have let me now... that plugin isnt doing what i was expecting i dont even know what its doing at all hahaha
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 10:09:26 AM by alexandercyle »

Offline Maximize

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 01:11:20 PM »
yeah I don't know about any resistors.  wire in the mic.  then put the plugin in the seplugins folder, add the plugins to game.txt  so you can use the mic for online games or homebrew, add it to vsh.txt so it will work in XMB (skype).  if a headphone jack is in use the plugin will bypass it.

Offline iam7805

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • lol wut?
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 07:31:59 PM »
[This post has been edited because of Maximize's edit to the first post and alexandercyle's reply below]

I'm doing this mod, after poking around with a multimeter I found these solder points for anybody who doesn't want to desolder and resolder the connector pins. The left wire is ground, the right wire is input. If your having troubles soldering the wire to the resistor (like I was), then scratch the solder mask off of the trace to expose bare copper and solder to that instead.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 05:18:22 PM by iam7805 »

Offline alexandercyle

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 10:05:33 PM »
......yeah that waill work i dont  know about the left wire as far as it getting in the way but the positive one is right ......and to my reply ok well i got as far as implimenting the plugin to the seplugin folder but when i load say socom it says motion sensor not detected or something like that and i dont even now how to put the plugin in the vsh. file it registers the plugin in recovery and i assume it is in use sence the message with socom. i really have had a lot of trouble lately taking the dam thing apart its like writers block or something i just want the mic to work for socom ad/or skype i dont have any homebrew stuff that uses a mic and if you now of something that might get my intrests off this then tell me sounds like it would be easier than dealing with the problems hahahahaha thanks though i will try the resistor thing when i feel like getting mad at the psp for not going my way lol...oh have you tried this with socom or is there any other games i would be able to talk on online i think hats the biggest thing

Offline Maximize

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 04:05:45 AM »
I have not tried socom myself but in killzone, and every other time it says motion kit not detected terminating, but the mic still works

Offline alexandercyle

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 11:20:08 AM »
then i will try killzone thanks

Offline zer0

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 02:59:33 PM »
Loaded the plugin, enabled it for VSH and GAME in the recovery menu, doesn't seem to work with skype. Thanks for trying, Maximize, have you confirmed that yours is working w/ skype. I realize it might be a pain to test if you don't have an account or contacts, just wondering.

Offline Maximize

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 03:51:06 PM »
okay it doesn't work with skype, it must require the ic from the remote, well it does work with furikup

Offline alexandercyle

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Slim internal microphone **more pictures and better explanation**
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 11:33:11 PM »
yeah i dont think it works w/ skype must need that 42k resistor but i did get it to work with killzone i didnt know hw to activae the mic when i did it was by accident i was like this stupid mic the other people were like wtf is your problem then i was like i am trying to get this internal mic to work then i was the master hahaha thanks im going to try to run the resistor thing so you dont have to run the plugin and it will work on skype it needs the remote to work on skype or atleast the resistor to say its there...sweet mod though dont know if the socom prob is cause mine is a cso and its just not loading fast enough and then hanging up somehow any opinionn on a good cso to iso converter???

Offline l0rdnic0

• 2%
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +8/-0
  • TeamCYBER

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 08:02:53 AM »
Maxmize, great work! :clap:

L0rdNiC0 Pioneering Mods on the PSP Slim :taunt:
Sound Mod, Button LED Mod, Security Mod, Dual NUB, Mode Select Switch + More

Offline ApheX

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • PSP And PSP Slim Case/Hardware Modder
    • ApheX MoDs
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 03:08:43 PM »
Simply Brilliant! looks clean and removes (for the most part) the use of those stupid headsets. Nice work on the updated tut!

Offline laohor

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 07:59:28 PM »
tried socom 2 not working
tried talkman working
tried audio technica working

notice that i have to put the mic really near my mouth in order to make a clear word. thinks you need a amp chip.

Offline alexandercyle

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 01:31:14 AM »
tried socom 2 not working
tried talkman working
tried audio technica working

notice that i have to put the mic really near my mouth in order to make a clear word. thinks you need a amp chip.
i think it was just the mic you used i got mine out of just a corded handsfree samsung headset the kind with the little box on the wire that has a little whole for the mic and it picks up real good. try changing the mic you only have to take off the front case not to bad to change stuff around

Offline Maximize

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 03:59:01 AM »
yeah my first mic I tried on the slim was quiet too, then I swapped it and it was 4 times as loud

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2008, 11:44:27 AM »
Good Job, this is a very clean mod.
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline Maximize

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2008, 02:16:51 PM »
thank you

VoX

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2008, 03:25:09 PM »
Looks really nice and clean but as said above you need to amplify the signal

Offline Maximize

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2008, 04:54:49 PM »
it all depends on the operating voltage range of the mic.  I think resistance matters as well.  I considered a preamp with my first mic, but it made sense to try another mic

Offline babyboi828

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2008, 01:26:45 PM »
this is awesome nice job :clap: im going to end up doing/trying this regardless (and the external wifi antenna) but i haven't yet voided my warenty so im a little scared to open up my beautiful psp (A LITTLE lol) so i have a mic to try but im still not sure exactly which points im supposed to solder it to? i know yall have pictures and ive read all of the thread but i guess i wont know for sure until i open up my baby  :sadno:. grrr i forgot to get a screwdriver aslo! could it be possible to open it up with one of those eyeglasses repair tools?

haha well i just realized once i mod my psp the warrenty sticker wont even matter. not like sony will even check for a warranty sticker once they see the mic and antenna lol. actually i bet if i didn't mess up my sticker though they would replace it just so i had a regular psp again lol.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 01:43:05 PM by babyboi828 »

Offline Maximize

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2008, 03:53:26 PM »
just do it

Offline babyboi828

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2008, 09:31:38 PM »
lmao actually i did just do it  :huh: lol well took  everything apart at least and broke a coupla cellphones...umm is there a way to see if my mic works before i put it in my psp? cause its from an old ass motorola and im not sure if i soldered these two wires correctly, well i guess cause putting it in would prolly be the best way to test it buuuut.... im still not sure what to solder the mic to (sry) :wacko: lol im trying to go by iam7805's pic but i cant really tell wich resistor that right wire is connecting to...the left wire is solderd to the big copper patch on the serial right? hmmmm...man i hope this works...

yea great..knew i shouldnt tried this... one of my resistors just came off....perfect...guess ima put it all back together and just pray it works...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 11:20:17 PM by babyboi828 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal