Author Topic: possible?, somehow?  (Read 1154 times)

Offline psppunk

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
possible?, somehow?
« on: August 08, 2008, 06:47:39 PM »
ive always had this idea, of taking the top screen off and using a switch to select which display the bottom screen would show, because honestly, i dont need that extra screen except on very rare occasions, and even rarer do i need them simultaneously
this is more than likely impossible to do, so im scrapping the idea, unless someone thinks otherwise
for now i want to focus on booting the NDSL without the top screen, and getting a custom flex cable made (DS Slider, everything is already built, works, and fits in my custom DS case, just need a flex)

i know that the DS checks to make sure its screens are there when it boots or else it will just power off..
BUT!.....

im 50% sure it checks this in a rather simple way, like checking if the backlight completes its circuit or something, but im not completely sure, as i havnt tested anything

basically, i need someone with some real technical knowhow and a bit of time to test some things out for me
i know how to test 90% of it, but i only have 2 DS's and i dont want to risk one trying to figure out the display check

what i needed to know was:

Question:
How does the DS check for the screen?
Answer:
The DS sends a quick burst of power to both backlights (also to the LEDs it looks like) to check if they complete the circuit, if not, the DS powers off

Question:
Does it check the speakers and mic also, since they share a ribbon cable?
Answer:
No. If they are both disconnected you will just boot with no audio. headphones are still possible to use of course.
The mic apparently is the white cable that looks like a wifi cable, you may disconnect it.... sneaky nintendo had me thinking there were 2 wifi cables XP

what i still need to know is:

Is there anywhere or anyone i can go to online to get a custom flex cable made??
(ive Google'd, Yahoo'd, Ask'd, Mamma'd, Dogpile'd, the works and i cant seem to find a place like this)

Update: I get impatient fast, and the nds section of AM is apparently rather slow at night =P so i checked myself, nothing ventured nothing gained i suppose, and i had a new dual wattage pencil iron i needed to break in, perfect for the backlight ribbon, look above for answers to the first two questions

Update #2: My next project is gonna blow all your minds ;] lol, i hope so at least
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 11:24:13 PM by psppunk »

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
Re: possible?, somehow?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 07:57:47 AM »
Good luck on the project bud. And what do you mean DS Slider?? You made a sliding screen? [damnit! xD] Have any pics of it? Sounds awesome!

Offline psppunk

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: possible?, somehow?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 08:26:39 AM »
thanks =] i probably wont take any pics of it until the sliding screen actually works
but, that wont be until i can find someone to make me a flex cable

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal