Author Topic: modder's first try: sound reactive, jewel UMD door, ring of light and paint job.  (Read 8827 times)

Offline FireFox

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
Well, my name's Tim,
I have the PSP-2000 (duh!) and I tried to mod it with the shoulder leds.
I soldered the leds to the speakers' connectors so they would pulse to the music and ingame sounds and stuff and it worked! :hifive:
though as I was closeing my system again (while playing music to enjoy the hypnotizeing effect of my leds :D) it suddenly stopped. :confused:
not the psp, but just the sound, it wouldn't even "tick" anymore though the volume bar was set to full.
I opened it again and resoldered the "R" led. now, I :censored:ed up my psp at this part, one of the copper connectoplates for the speaker came off (:censored:) so I put a small dab of tin there (should work) :yess:
then I tried to turn on my psp but it wouldn't. :confused:
again and again I tried to turn it on but it simply wouldn't start.
I opened up again and see the membrane that leads from the powerboard to the mobo has been completely melted since I accidently touched it with my iron. (:censored: :censored: :censored:!!!!) :beg: :beg:
now I have 2 problems. no sound, and no power.
HOW DO I SOLVE THIS??? I need my psp, it's my love and my life lol (ok maybe not that important) but yet it costed alot of money and I like playing with it, so. :psp:
does anyone have any suggestions??? :help: :help: :help: :help:
I'll include a pic of the molten membrane (not that it will be of any use but still)
if you need more pictures (close up or whatever) tell me and I will provide you with as many as u need  :yess:

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 08:48:46 AM by FireFox »

Offline buickgnx

• gba modder
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • www.MactasticMendezisawesome.com
Re: FECK!!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 07:45:10 AM »
i think but not sure you just need to buy a new mebrain thing off ebay.

PsychoticWolf , MactasticMendez and Skullmaster, mike and 802Chives (and all the others:) are the Best Admins On ACIDMODS

Offline StealthedHunter

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Can't See me
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 07:46:54 AM »
 :dribble: you just  :censored: up!!! naa ya like he said just go buy another membrane maybe off ebay I guess

VoX

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 07:47:32 AM »
Yup, That membranes :censored:ed!

Offline FireFox

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 07:51:06 AM »
yeah, but what about the sound thingy? it just completely stopped!
no reaction from either the speakers or the LEDs though the volume was at its maximum!
and yeah the psp was on and yeah I had music on or anything that rocks the brain :D
plz help meeeh! lol

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 07:56:19 AM »
Make sure there is enough tin on it...

Offline FireFox

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 07:58:13 AM »
on what?
on the connectors? they can't just both shut down when I'm reassembling my psp..not even when 1 speaker blows it

Offline LaCozTe-2028

• BANNED
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I love My Lacoste shirts
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 10:33:33 AM »
Well start by getting a membrane of ebay any store i got one if you i want i could sell it, and what possibly happend to your sound was that you blew its fuse just brige it carefully since there are lots of componenats next to it its labled f8 i think it on the back of the mobo to the right of your analogue contacts or you could search i think theres a photo somewhere i blew my sound to and briged it it worked

try droping it again
my retared friend fixed by droping it
 1Sniper- not to be an :censored: but, its special friend

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 10:39:11 AM »
Arg. People, it's called common sense.

You NEVER, EVER, take something apart or put it back together when it's ON. NEVER.
You probably blew the fuse like the guy above me said, there's pics around here somewhere with the location of it, but I'm not sure where myself.
Second, it's called a ribbon or fpc cable, not a membrane. LOL.
Third, how did you even manage that? My soldering iron doesn't burn my slim's ribbon cables...
You could accept the rules and then go try in the auction section to find someone selling one cheap, or you can try DX or FP for a new ribbon also.

Offline FireFox

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 12:06:18 PM »
so let me get this straight:

1: you want me to use my übersolderskills (cough cough vomit) to bridge the fuse..what size is the sucker?
2: wouldn't that mean I'd shut down the only safety system the sound card has from overloading or whatever? (yeah sorry I'm kinda newby with this kind of stuff lol)

anyway, I already ordered a new set of RIBBONS from a chinese site called focalprice.com it has some rly nice things for sale for a price even some hobo could cough up :D
ok, so what IF I could fix my psp again, what I doubt since I've only made it worse till now, will it function as it should without dangers of blowing the sucker again?

@kicks: I managed that for trying to do it to fast which made me touch the cable and....well, his fate is well known
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 12:08:18 PM by FireFox »

Offline FireFox

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 01:04:08 PM »
can I bridge it with just 1 soldering that touches both the + and - pole? or do I rly need a wire?
I mean...it's already a tight fit..imagine what a 1mm thick wire could do in a high tech machine like this

Offline Bhawan

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 01:42:40 PM »
1. please do not double post.. its against rules. use the 'modify' button

2. no that doesnt sound a much good idea.

3. yea kicks is 1000000% correct.  you never work on an electronic which is on.  I even prefer to take the battery out when working because there is still some amount of current flowing through it.

thanks chase for this sig =)
I miss my dragon lol....

Offline FireFox

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 01:54:25 PM »
well, I think I managed to bridge the nagger.
need your opinion bout how I did it.

look above the f2001

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 03:50:16 PM »
so let me get this straight:

1: you want me to use my übersolderskills (cough cough vomit) to bridge the fuse..what size is the sucker?
2: wouldn't that mean I'd shut down the only safety system the sound card has from overloading or whatever? (yeah sorry I'm kinda newby with this kind of stuff lol)

anyway, I already ordered a new set of RIBBONS from a chinese site called focalprice.com it has some rly nice things for sale for a price even some hobo could cough up :D
ok, so what IF I could fix my psp again, what I doubt since I've only made it worse till now, will it function as it should without dangers of blowing the sucker again?

@kicks: I managed that for trying to do it to fast which made me touch the cable and....well, his fate is well known
That's one of the sites I mentioned. Good choice.
No, there's no sound card per say in a psp. In a way you could say it is, but it's not, if that makes sense XD.
Yes, bridging the fuse will shut down the only safety mechanism for the sound, but, it's already BLOWN. That "safety mechanism" is gone anyway. It's blown. Not working. You need to bridge it so the connection will...er...be connected again.
Yes once you get it working it will be good as new and it won't blow, as long as you don't f**k with it any more than you have, no offense. But, srsly, for future reference, never ever ever ever work on something while it's on. That's the only reason that this is screwed up, because you made that stupid mistake.

And, still. I've touched a soldering iron to my fpc cable and it didn't do anything... It's weird.

That soldering job looks fine to me. Now, as long as that's the correct fuse (I don't know where it is so I can't say), it should be fine now.

Offline LaCozTe-2028

• BANNED
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I love My Lacoste shirts
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 03:59:13 PM »
woah i thought it was the fuse below

try droping it again
my retared friend fixed by droping it
 1Sniper- not to be an :censored: but, its special friend

Offline FireFox

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 04:05:11 PM »
it should be the right fuse, I found a pic on this forum that pointed to the tiny knobhead.
I ordered those parts at focalprice a week ago or so, since I needed a new L-ribbon.
it broke because my brother played on it with wet hands the moron lol.
anyway, since it takes a week for paypal to transfer the money from my bankaccount to focalprices it couls last another week.
how long did it last for u guys to get your stuff from focal?

btw is there a SAFE way I can check if the soldering and thus the sound is ok by means of turning it on WITHOUT the powerribbon? like temporarily connecting 2 joints or something? just a question since I'm eager to know if I did a good job really soon muhahaha

thx for the help though..
dunno what I would've done if I hadn't been able to repair it!

@lacozte: are you just screwing round with me or what???? (=.=  )
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 04:06:47 PM by FireFox »

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 05:19:20 PM »
I'm fairly sure you have the right fuse.
I've heard the shipping from Focal price is around a week or something like that.

A safe way to test it would be turning it on by connecting the power pin with a ground pin on the ribbon connector.
There was a pinout that had ALL pins labeled, including the power pins for the ribbon, but I can't seem to find it anywhere...
It may have been one of those topics that was deleted because it was old.

Offline FireFox

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2008, 10:53:36 AM »
I think you guys need a thread that functions as a picture database for either pictures that show how you SHOULDN'T handle your psp  (:wacko:) or pics that will help people find stuff out like for example the fuses, power pins, joints, etc etc
I don't think it would be a bad idea :P
-------------------------------------------
While I was at it, I also modded my UMD door.
no leds yet since the local hardware store doesn't have any SMDs.
well, actualy he can deliver me SMDs, but only with a minumum of 100pcs lol.
here are some pics:

question:

is it possible to add an internal MS by soldering it's connectors to the MS dock and would I still be able to insert a MS and read them out simultaneously like 1 motherload of storage? :D:D
I have already seen some 'internal harddisk' mods on this forum but actualy love my UMD drive and I want to keep it since I don't know how to downgrade or whatever.

*edit: I found out that you can't :P
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 03:41:11 AM by FireFox »

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
Re: modder's first try: sound reactive, jewel UMD door
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 05:39:21 PM »
USE the edit button, it's there for a reason, as double posting is against the rules. You've been told in this thread before...

Offline FireFox

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 03:55:37 AM »
USE the edit button, it's there for a reason, as double posting is against the rules. You've been told in this thread before...

you like saying that huh?  :w00t:

now I have my next question:
I have closely inspected my new übermodded UMD door and found out that it will never ever ever ever have enough free space to fit both a UMD AND a few (2) SMD LEDs including their wireing.
you guys have any ideas on how to solve this? it looks so dull and boring without the ring of light ¬¬
now we're talking about SMDs, does anyone of you have both a RED AND AN ORANGE/YELLOW SMD for me to buy?
the local hardware store only wants to sell in quantities of >100 pcs lol and if I would order them online it would cost me 5,- per led  :fear:

Offline DubbleDutch

• BlietZ Modding
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 04:18:23 AM »
you like saying that huh?  :w00t:

now I have my next question:
I have closely inspected my new übermodded UMD door and found out that it will never ever ever ever have enough free space to fit both a UMD AND a few (2) SMD LEDs including their wireing.
you guys have any ideas on how to solve this? it looks so dull and boring without the ring of light ¬¬
now we're talking about SMDs, does anyone of you have both a RED AND AN ORANGE/YELLOW SMD for me to buy?
the local hardware store only wants to sell in quantities of >100 pcs lol and if I would order them online it would cost me 5,- per led  :fear:

www.phenoptix.co.uk

To all of you crying about lag and kicks, remember… when Jesus died, took him 3 days to respawn. Now THAT is lag.

Offline FireFox

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 04:28:34 AM »
thx for the URL but could someone please post a pic or a small tut on how to fit those in a slim's UMD?

look, I did a small paintjob on my casing :D

well, those are just the buttons, I dyed them black, the rim of my casing is shiny-ferrari red now (need to sand and clear-coat it though)
I left the rest of the casing untouched, it are the details that matter ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 08:09:20 AM by FireFox »

Offline Sanctus

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
the wlan switch looks crap, you should probably redo it.

Offline FireFox

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
yeah, I had to dye it with my precision screwdriver since brushes don't come in a 1mm diametre size lol
have redone it already, just scraped the excess away and redyed it.
might post pics tomoz
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 02:51:48 PM by FireFox »

Offline Sanctus

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
yeah, I had to dye it with my precision screwdriver since brushes don't come in a 1mm diametre size lol
have redone it already, just scraped the excess away and redyed it.
might post pics tomoz

Awesome. Your PSP seems to be coming along quite nicely :tup:. I really want to do that ring of light mod. But I don't have a dremel and even if I did I probably wouldn't be skilled enough to do it right >.>

Offline FireFox

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
I didn't use a dremel for the jewel.
I simply popped it out and cut it with a screwdriver, a knife and a pair of scissors.
use the screwdriver and knife to grind into the plastic after you've pulled of the metal disc.
just try what feels best for you.
after you cut out the PSP logo with the ring that had the metal disc attached to it you must cut the ring of with a powerful pair of scissors CAREFULLY (!!!) you don't wan't it to bend or break.
after you're done, sand the edges, get yourself a decent sheet of plastic which you've cut to size, glue the sucker is, remove the metal brackets from the inside of the PSP logo ring, glue it to the sheet and you're done.
I'm still trying to figure out how to fit 4 led's in it since it's already a tight fit with a UMD.

here are the pics of my finished paintjob.
it ain't perfect but hey, it's my first try

which 2 do I have to connect to turn my PSP on?

EDIT: found out already. connect pins 5 and 6 with a screwdriver for a second.
CAREFULY, PIN 5 AND 6 FROM THE LEFT!!!
so when you have the hole for the ribbon facing to you, connect number 5 and 6 FROM THE LEFT!!!!!
it will turn on and to shut it down I recommend just getting the battery out so you won't have to touch those very sensitive joints.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 03:45:40 PM by FireFox »

Offline Sanctus

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
Oh wow I never knew it was that easy :O Thanks allot man.  :#1:

Offline phenoptix

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Acidmods User
    • Phenoptix
coming along nicely firefox. Bit of a print on the paintwork, I know what it feels like to just want to get it all done but a bit more tlc (and wetndry!) on the paintwork and you'll love yourself for it later on!
Thanks for the ref DubbleDutch.  :tup:

Offline FireFox

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
I know, and it bugged me so much that I repainted it today lol
printless!!!
I also got my sound up and running again (YAY YAY YAY!!)
and I installed the shoulder LEDs (UP AND RUNNIG YAY YAY!!)
now all that's missing are those ribbons I ordered from FP 8 days ago
but since paypal took the long way (transfering from bank account to FP, 8-9 days)
it might still take a while *sigh*
I WANT TO PLAY WITH MY NEW AND IMPROVED PSP FFS!! xD xD

Offline Sanctus

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
I know, and it bugged me so much that I repainted it today lol
printless!!!
I also got my sound up and running again (YAY YAY YAY!!)
and I installed the shoulder LEDs (UP AND RUNNIG YAY YAY!!)
now all that's missing are those ribbons I ordered from FP 8 days ago
but since paypal took the long way (transfering from bank account to FP, 8-9 days)
it might still take a while *sigh*
I WANT TO PLAY WITH MY NEW AND IMPROVED PSP FFS!! xD xD

Gratz man I'm glad to see your psp is coming along well.  :tup:
Btw I just tried doing the Ring of Light mod on my spare phat umd door as a test using your method. It worked great and looks good. Thanks again for that tip  :tup:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal