9 (25%)
Wont work!
0 (0%)
Going to do it right now!
1 (2.8%)
Been done before...
6 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: PSP Phat Internal Cooling  (Read 12184 times)

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Designing Innovative Mods
    • SteelROMs
PSP Phat Internal Cooling
« on: February 22, 2009, 11:31:23 PM »
FINISHED!

Ok, I know you guys have been looking around for reasonable ways to cool the hot parts of the PSP mobo.  Well, I have been working on this project for quite some time, and finally got the chance to finish it!

I am using is the fan assembly from a Sony Vaio laptop (Sony VAIO PCG-FXA35/D CPU Fan Assembly)

The air flow comes from behind the PSP, through a precut and filtered hole in the back of the UMD door, into the fan case, pushed through the WIFI board area, and out of a number of small, drilled holes on the LEFT side of the PSP.  I might change the output holes, depending on how much the air flow is restricted.  If there is little air flow, then this would all be pointless, so a fairly straight line of air flow over the parts of the board that need cooled would be the best option.

If you are one of those people that just HAS to have something like this done, and dont want to spend about 5 weeks doing it like I did, then PM me and I might be able to do it for you (for a price of course).

Let me know what you think.  If you would like to give me some constructive criticism, that would be great.  DONT FORGET TO VOTE!

Its finished!  One of my videos is posted above.  Check it out!

PLEASE VOTE!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 08:57:55 PM by thearkman2009 »

Offline pspupgrade

• Club AM VIP
  • King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bother Bother Bother
    • PSP Upgrade
Re: PSP Phat Internal Cooling
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 04:09:13 AM »
Well, I think it would be pretty cool if you had LEDs behind the fan.  :w00t:
That would look sweet!

BTW, I really recommend the Fujifilm Finepix S5700. It's great value, looks like an SLR, takes really good super-macro shots and it's has amazing settings so that you can take professional level photos  :drunk:
It's the basics that bring us down.

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 05:54:29 AM »
Well if your going to be taking professional photos, why not go for a professional camera? I have a nikon d60. It is a DSLR with 10.2 megapixels and the closeups are supurb due to the ability to manually focus it. The kit with the 18-55mm lens is like $750 though so it's a real investment.

Also, I agree LEDs in the fan would look pretty cool.
Any Questions? Please Contact Me: rceckspurt13@gmail.com

Offline pspupgrade

• Club AM VIP
  • King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bother Bother Bother
    • PSP Upgrade
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 06:35:27 AM »
Well if your going to be taking professional photos, why not go for a professional camera? I have a nikon d60. It is a DSLR with 10.2 megapixels and the closeups are supurb due to the ability to manually focus it. The kit with the 18-55mm lens is like $750 though so it's a real investment.

Also, I agree LEDs in the fan would look pretty cool.
Well, he's only looking for a camera that can take closeups. Nothing professional needed :).
I just said because the Fujifilm Finepix is a great camera, and you can get it for about $100.
It's the basics that bring us down.

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 04:19:39 PM »
Ah I understand. Plus you gotta go for what you need and can afford. But remember: buy right or buy twice. :)

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 04:43:36 PM »
Thanks for the input on the cameras guys.  I will look those up tomorrow.  I am also getting my dremel set tomorrow so I can pick up work again.   I will take photos with what I have for now, and update them when I get a better camera.  As for the LEDs behind the fan, sure, its doable.  I can take the top part of the fan case off, hot melt some LEDs into the case, and put if back together.  Might as well make it look sweet!

Offline TheZap

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Music Is My Soul
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 04:44:38 PM »
Well, I never had a situation where I had to cool down my PSP, are you going to remove the spot where the UMD discs go?

Offline PsychoticWolf

• C.H.A.O.S Where art Thou.
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +27/-0
  • Team CYBER
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 06:12:09 PM »
When I had my PSP fat The Wifi board always got hot and Froze my games(mainly SocomFTB/2) Even if people say bad things Just do it. it would be cool to show off. Also think of the battery life and if the Juice from the PSP battery can power that fan.

For the awesome Sigs Thanks goes to: Blazinkaos, Chef Boyardee
O o
/¯/________________________/
{ IMMA FIRIN' MA LAZAAAAAR!!!!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\
RyanF: lol im not that sick.  I don't feel like licking the s*** off a 40 year old guy's ass
RyanF: you want me to lick your crusty old buns dont you?
2/20/2012 at 08:55:34 PM

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 08:14:13 PM »
My stepsons PSP gets really hot playing the same game Socom FTB2.  Mine gets hot just playing games, music, internet, and video (usually one right after another).  The fan is a 2000 mAh (max load), but it does not need to run at anywhere NEAR that speed, so the drain on the battery would be no more than 300 or 400 mAh.  I will be including a switch to allow the user to turn it on and off at will, (who needs it when all you do is listen to music with your CPU clocked to 133 MHz, and your LCD off?)

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 10:24:13 PM »
I've had problems with a hot wifi board on my phat. Pissed me off because it'll freeze and then restart it self. I lose whatever I was doing.

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 11:36:00 PM »
Good news!  I just got my new Dremel set and have been working on this mod now for the past 3 hours.  Got pretty far.  I am now up to making things fit snuggly.  Its nothing hard to do, and I want to make things fit easily, so if anyone else wants to do this, they can.  If someone does not want to use the same fan I did, just a little research and a different fan, and it should all be good to go, with little deviancy from my tutorial.

More pics to come, just need to clean some things up first.

Offline DubbleDutch

• BlietZ Modding
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 06:09:37 AM »
yeh try and cool the wifi board ;)
froze my games on my phat too ;)

the difficult part on it is, when you put a fan somewhere it needs to take fresh air.
and the problem is, when you hold your psp your left hand is on the wifi board.
so putting a fan there is a problem because you are blocking the fresh air from getting in
and you will need some sort of cover so you don't put your fingers in the fan :P

To all of you crying about lag and kicks, remember… when Jesus died, took him 3 days to respawn. Now THAT is lag.

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 07:04:51 AM »
Well the fan is gonna be in the umd door so putting your fingers into it or the fresh air shouldent be a problem. The left hand could block the exhaust holes though unless they are drilled high enough on the trim.

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 01:18:37 PM »
I have figured out where the vent holes are going to be.  I have already drilled them.  There are 6 of them, and they are above the memory stick slot.  I might have to add in more, but I am not sure yet.  I am going to put a thin cloth over the inside of the holes to act as a dust filter and to prevent someone from putting stuff IN the PSP.  There will also be a filter between the fan housing and the inside of the PSP, to prevent dust buildup (which would defeat the point of having the fan in the first place).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 07:05:20 PM by thearkman2009 »

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 03:48:42 PM »
Yep thats sort of my concept when I'm working on making a new project. As long as it works, I don't really care how "ghetto" it looks. I can always nice it up later once it's all finished and working.

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 07:01:39 PM »
Ok, a video has been uploaded.  Its not totally finished, but like I stated in the first post, I still have to get things cleaned up.  I will make a new video demonstration when its all put together and final.  But for now, this should give you a pretty good idea of how the final product will look and work.

Offline TW1NKY

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 03:50:01 PM »
I put a fan in a psp a while ago, but never internal, looks good :hifive:

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 10:19:52 PM »
Looks like the polls are showing that more people are interested in this mod.  (at least, of those that DO vote).  There have had to be a few minor changes to the UMD door, so that it holds the fan better.  I am working on figureing out what model Vaio the fan came from, so when I do, I will be able to offer to mod the UMD door, attach the fan to it, and mod the back case, for anyone who is interested in having it done, but does not want to mess with trying to figure out how to fit it in themselves.

Also, for those that have tried the butter knife to remove the UMD door, there is a reason why its so risky.  Some of you know why, but for those who dont...  If you take the back off all the way, and look to the left on the bottom, on the inside, there is one screw that does not seem to hold anything in place.  That screw actually holds one of the hinges for the UMD door in place.  Just loosen it up (dont have to remove it), and the push in and up and that hinge will just slide out, no risk of breaking the door!  Do the opposide when putting it back in.  It took me a while to figure it out, but it can save you the headache of MAYBE breaking your UMD door while trying to remove it.  :tup:

Offline Slim Hacker

• Mr PS3
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 11:59:58 PM »
great mod but...its not really needed cause the psp dosent have a temp problem
i left my psp on for a week and it was still cool
but nice mod :tup:

Quote from: Jumbo
I herd you like stealing quotes ey?

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 12:04:42 PM »
I know some of you are pretty supportive of this.  Look at the polls.  Some dont think it needs done.  Its all based on your individual needs.  Personally, mine gets pretty hot.  MINE has never froze before, but my stepsons has.  I used mine a lot, and I am suprised it has not caught fire yet!  This might also be good for when you leave it in your car or something on a hot day, and come back to use it, but its burning up!  Just switch on the fan, and your good to go.  The way I will have it wired, you will be able to turn it on and off without powering on the PSP itself.  So if you are afraid of running it while hot, you can cool it down first, then turn it on when you think its cool enough.

the only wiring you would have to do would only require the hookup of two wires, + and -.  I have other mods to do, but now would have a little less then half the UMD drive area left to put stuff.  Anyone have some suggestions as to what all I could add to it?

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
    • ROOKIE BUILDERS DISCORD
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 12:30:53 PM »
Nice mod bro i seen someone do this but you found a better fan for it. I know a better one that may give better flow then that trying looking into graphics cards for PCs. Some have nice fans that are small enough and do pretty well with air flow.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 12:35:38 PM by Blazinkaos »

*Thanks Modders/Friends:Ghost_Death, gr8npwrfl, Blizzrad, Kenshinffx.
*Thanks 802Chives for the Art position!

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 05:05:53 PM »
Now that you mention it, thats probably true.  I just dont want to have to buy the video card, just to use the fan.  It is possible to get a replacement fan for them, ordered seperately?

Also, I had to make an extra cutout on the bottom of the fan to allow room for the extra tall switch thats on the back of the mobo.  Its a lever-style switch, possibly for UMD insertion detection.  Everything should run find without it being depressed.  If I have to, I can just jump the connections.  (I wont be using the UMD drive again anyway).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 05:09:10 PM by thearkman2009 »

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 07:59:44 PM »
Nice mod bro i seen someone do this but you found a better fan for it. I know a better one that may give better flow then that trying looking into graphics cards for PCs. Some have nice fans that are small enough and do pretty well with air flow.

yea Syn7h was the first person to do this mod here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7iCUqDKokU&feature=channel_page,

nice work though seems pretty decent, good mod.
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline joey

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 08:14:52 PM »
I don't mean to rain on your parade but psp's don't get that hot what would be the point of it I just see it as being useless.

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2009, 09:24:53 PM »
Like I said before, that would be a matter of opinion.  Personally, I like my electronics to run cool, as cool as I can get them.  Fundamental electric properties prove that electrical devices operate better, faster, and cleaner when chilled, as opposed to being hot.  Hence the need for heatsinks.  ANY electronic component can benefit from being cooler (unless that component is required to be hot for some reason).

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 08:12:26 AM »
yea Syn7h was the first person to do this mod here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7iCUqDKokU&feature=channel_page,
Yup thats who it was thanks ghost.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but psp's don't get that hot what would be the point of it I just see it as being useless.
Actually they do depending on how long you stay one it for example on a PC what is one cause to PCs freezing. Answer is over heating i work on computer and over heating is an issue sometimes. Other people said that to the the guy that did this mod as well Syn7h. Other then that i think thearkman2009 did a nice job.
props on you.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 08:14:01 AM by Blazinkaos »

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2009, 08:16:12 PM »
I am lacking a couple parts to finalize this, so when I get it done, I will take a final proof video, in better quality of course.  I also just got myself a new Exilim 10.1 MP digital camera.  Really nice, only $200.  Takes pretty good close up shots, much better than before, so I will post some of the better photos when I get them taken.

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2009, 08:34:29 AM »
Sweet cant wait to see man.

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2009, 02:43:16 AM »
All right guys, I have been out of the scene for a couple weeks, because my job just got SLAMMED with work.  I work for a private sod company, and I am the only employee at the moment (other than my boss).  :#1:   I have been working for him for 5 years now, and he just does not have the get-up-and-go he used to, so most of the work is up to me to do.  I put in as much work as I can to get things done.  :faint: But now that I have worked so much, there is not much to do, so until more work comes around, I will have my free time back!   :tup:  So now I have an update, and will post the final video and pictures in a few days.

I just finalized the wiring for the switch, and its pretty cool I think.

I used an old MS Duo (not Pro Duo), that had a "write lock" switch on the board.  I cut it up, and, well, see for youself.  Easier to show you a picture, than describe it.  Look back at the beginning of this thread for the pics.

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2009, 06:51:47 AM »
Ight man nice job ill be keeping an eye on this thread for that video.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal