Author Topic: Why my mum can't be trusted with an computer.  (Read 9218 times)

Offline ~:Dhruv:~

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • [quote author=Reaper link=topic=30647.msg227184#ms
    • Infectech
Re: Why my mum can't be trusted with an computer.
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2009, 08:00:44 AM »
Actually Macs do use pretty much standard hardware....

The iMac uses laptop parts on a custom sized mobo but has the same standard mobile core 2 duo processors. They use the MXM technology used by laptop manufacturers like Clevo. The RAM is AFAIK standard laptop RAM.
  you look like a carrot.
My nickname at school is carrot cake, because i can't get tan. I get orange. and my face is shaped like a carrot. And i make a mean carrot cake.

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2009, 08:15:26 AM »
the only difference between a macs hardware and a pcs is that a pc uses a old fashioned bios whereas a mac uses EFI. an you can put any ram, HDD in and upgrade the cpu's  the only reason you need a certain gfx card is because of drivers.

[/Flame] umm this is a thread about viruses, Apple fanboys: take your Macs and go edit some video or something :taunt: Im sorry guys, but 20yrs of being second place doesnt lie.  I will take my viruses and like it, then to struggle with a mac, who's users btw ultimately end up running a window OS in some shape or form in order to keep their machines useful. [/Flame]

haha Robin heres a link for games for PC users: www.gamestop.com  Dont get me wrong, I hate windows and all it stands for but as an engineer, Macs are an impossibility, and I suspect that is the same for many industries.

My name is 802Chives, and Im a PC.
and chives im sure there is ways to use engineering software on a mac be it an alternative or crossover for mac or vmware fusion etc. and in all honesty if big enterprise companies said they wanted to turn to macs then the developers would follow

edit

it would appear that chives is a closet mac lover
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 08:17:08 AM by Mactastic Mendez »

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline blackburn

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Xbox 360 Enthusiast and JTAGer
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2009, 12:34:26 PM »
in all honesty, i like apple laptops, but not the standard desktops/iMacs. The thing I hate the most is MACOSX, I cannot stand that OS, really Steve Jobs just had a team of deveolpers write a GUI for a debian based UNIX system. (yes I know, Bill Gates stole the architecture for Windows from IBM). But Steve was right about one thing, "make it shiny and everyone will buy it or want it, no matter of the price"

Personally when I go to college next year Ill be buying a MacBook Pro and modding the  :censored: out of it. Deleting MACOSX and running the hacked bootloader so I can run windows and Linux straight off the machine, instead of VM.

All Sigs Made by ME!

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2009, 12:47:32 PM »
you dont need a hacked bootloader to run win and linux straight off as far as i can remember as all i did was partition my HDD and install windows no need for a hacked bootloader unless your talking about refit which isnt really a hacked bootloader all it is is an alternate bootloader that gives you more options than the default one on a mac

Offline blackburn

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2009, 02:03:57 PM »
yeah refit is what im talking about

All Sigs Made by ME!

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2009, 02:43:17 PM »
yeh its great i have it installed on me it is really good and means i dont have to hold the alt button on bootup to change the os i want to use it just comes up with that and after 40 seconds goes to the default unless i choose otherwise. the main reason i use it is at times i have 5 or more OS's at once

Offline blackburn

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2009, 06:53:44 PM »
lol, is this on one of the new MB Pro's? i actually just got back from the apple store, just got a brand new iPhone 3g for my broken one  :#1: (ill be back up there in 6 hours [3am] to get the new iPhone 3g S then sell it on ebay

All Sigs Made by ME!

Offline the360modder

• BANNED
  • Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2009, 10:17:37 AM »
[/Flame] umm this is a thread about viruses, Apple fanboys: take your Macs and go edit some video or something :taunt: Im sorry guys, but 20yrs of being second place doesnt lie.  I will take my viruses and like it, then to struggle with a mac, who's users btw ultimately end up running a window OS in some shape or form in order to keep their machines useful. [/Flame]

haha Robin heres a link for games for PC users: www.gamestop.com  Dont get me wrong, I hate windows and all it stands for but as an engineer, Macs are an impossibility, and I suspect that is the same for many industries.

My name is 802Chives, and Im a PC.

well put chad. Windows has autoCAD, inventor, revit architectual,, etc, etc. Mac has incredibly useful software: picture and video editiing.

Mac>LOL

Offline Rory

• ZOMG, A Deda!!!!!
  • Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Eyy lmao
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2009, 05:25:54 PM »
I haven`t had to re-install my OEM install of Vista from two years ago, and I scan maybe once a month.

Never had any issues with viruses.

OEM and Vista...
So your PC is slow already? :P.

OEM = Filled with Bloatware that raeps your CPU and RAM.
Vista = As above

All get Windows 7 RC while you can. Free for like another year. And its a HELL of alot quicker. Its even stupidly fast on my Netbook. Intel Atoms aren't known for their power you know :P.

I'll stick with OSX on there though xD.

Everyone should just get an Apple Computer :D .
there is only like 3-4 viruses out there for them.

3 That you would have to be a complete idiot to install, because it asks randomly for your admin password. And the other is hidden in a iLife torrent. That will teach you :P.

Uh, no. If they used standard computer hardware then there wouldn't be Mac-Specific ram/gpus/etc. and you'd be able to install OS X on any computer without running into problems.

You haven't seen my MSi Wind have you kicks :P. Had to find WiFi drivers. Everything else worked out of the box :P. Better than Vista...

Macs are PCs now people. Well any that have the word "Intel" in their description. With the right tweaks, you can install anything on anything now...

I started using Hackintosh cos I was bored mainly. Now its my Primary OS.

PS. Chives phailed at html :P.
Quote from: IndyChav
I think that the king of spam should be immune to the punishment for posting spam everywhere, so post away Rory :tup:
Quote from: FreeK
couldnt of said it any better.

Offline PsychoticWolf

• C.H.A.O.S Where art Thou.
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +27/-0
  • Team CYBER
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2009, 08:01:59 PM »
My Kind Sirs Listen to me.

Okay I am done.
Linux ftw.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 08:06:35 PM by PsychoticWolf »

For the awesome Sigs Thanks goes to: Blazinkaos, Chef Boyardee
O o
/¯/________________________/
{ IMMA FIRIN' MA LAZAAAAAR!!!!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\
RyanF: lol im not that sick.  I don't feel like licking the s*** off a 40 year old guy's ass
RyanF: you want me to lick your crusty old buns dont you?
2/20/2012 at 08:55:34 PM

Offline budgray19

• Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • OH NO MY CHITTY CHICKEN, NOO NOT MY CHITTY BEEF
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2009, 10:09:54 PM »
YES
im bud and i too am a pc

Offline aquatsr

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2009, 11:13:24 AM »
1. Get your mom Ubuntu and have her use that. Virus problem solved.

2. Apple iMacs (the cheapest one) are a good bang for your buck. I challenge any one of you to build a computer with those specs within a day (looking at standard parts available on Newegg, or something) AND get a 20'' monitor and slick full-size keyboard for $100-200 less than what Apple asks for, and then you can say Apple is overpriced. Oh, and OS X 10.5+ > anything I've used. Here's a list of OS's I've used (extensively):

Windows: 95,98,2000/NT,XP,Vista (Haven't used 7 a lot yet but it's basically Vista Lite from what I've seen)
Linux/UNIX: Fedora 9,10, Ubuntu 8.10, 9.04, FreeBSD 5.4, Mac OS X 10.5, Xandros

Now, I like a lot of those, but I spend most of my time in Leopard.
Kamelot Forever

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2009, 11:54:06 AM »
1. Get your mom Ubuntu and have her use that. Virus problem solved.

2. Apple iMacs (the cheapest one) are a good bang for your buck. I challenge any one of you to build a computer with those specs within a day (looking at standard parts available on Newegg, or something) AND get a 20'' monitor and slick full-size keyboard for $100-200 less than what Apple asks for, and then you can say Apple is overpriced. Oh, and OS X 10.5+ > anything I've used. Here's a list of OS's I've used (extensively):

Windows: 95,98,2000/NT,XP,Vista (Haven't used 7 a lot yet but it's basically Vista Lite from what I've seen)
Linux/UNIX: Fedora 9,10, Ubuntu 8.10, 9.04, FreeBSD 5.4, Mac OS X 10.5, Xandros

Now, I like a lot of those, but I spend most of my time in Leopard.
if you like leopard then you will love snow leopard its great and like half the size

Offline aquatsr

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2009, 11:58:26 AM »
if you like leopard then you will love snow leopard its great and like half the size

Going a bit off topic, but...

yeah? I looked it up a bit online, I dunno either Apple is keeping it tight to the chest or I haven't been looking hard enough but it doesn't make me excited the way Leopard did over Tiger. Maybe I need to use it first. Do you know if they have it running in the Apple stores?
Kamelot Forever

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2009, 12:36:06 PM »
i dont know i have it installed on an external hard drive. i need to update to the newest build though. it isnt vastly different like leopard vs tiger but it just fixes all those small bugs that are in leopard and reclaims 6gb of hdd as it is that much smaller than leopard and it just has a few tweeks here and there. the main thing is it is a hell of a lot faster (i even notice it running it off a 5200rpm speed external usb 2.0 hard drive) and a lot more stable most of the system apps if not all of them have been re-written from the ground up adding new features making them a lot faster and more streamlined and best of all everything is now 64bit. you should give it a go plust you cant argue with the $29 price tag its cheeper than a new game and cheeper than quite a few second hand ones

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal