Poll

What LED color scheme do you think would look best on my black DS lite?

Purple and White
Blue and White
Blue
Amber and Green
Other(leave comment below)

Author Topic: Man, i think i seriously screwed this one up... Can someone help me, please??  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Xine

• Commander of bunnies and all things fluffy.
  • Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bringing anarchists together since 1992.
Alright, so i was getting into a bit of DS lite modding, and i accidentally knocked my R shoulder button off the motherboard...  It looks like a clean break, is there any way i can just solder it back in place?

Also, on my OTHER DS, i accidentally knocked the power nub off the power button.  I'm stuck for now turning it on/off with a pocket knife/toothpick, but is there a way i can wire in a button that'll do the power like the original DS Phat? I never liked the switch style anyways...

And my final question of the night...  I was thinking of getting a Pulse VU 2 for a pulsing effect because i liked it.  I'm planning on putting it in a black DS with clear buttons, and i wanna light up the buttons.  I also wanted to light up around the top screen after the buttons(A, B, X, Y, L, R, D-Pad) and was thinking about lighting up around the screw holes, and i wanted to light up the speakers so that when it was pulsing to the music, it would pulse out the little speaker holes.  I had planned on having the button lights stationary and non-pulsing.  Now, i'm sure there's a way i can do this without the PulseVU chip, and i'll look for it later tomorrow(it's kinda late now) but does anyone have a link to something like that?  Also, the real kicker, i was planning on dremelling out the DS logo in the top part, and filling it in with a transparent filling, and having the DS logo light up(just light, no pulse) like the apple on an iBook or whatever the heck apple calls 'em now.  I'm still pretty new to the whole modding scene, and would appreciate as much help as i could from the wonderful community of such skilled people over here at acidmods.com...  I have a spare DS that's been untouched for now, and i don't plan on cracking it open until i finish perfecting the style for now on my own DSs.  It's supposed to be a present for a friend of mine who absolutely LOVES Nintendo, and i didn't wanna just get him a DS, i wanted his to stand out.  Since i know he liked what i did with mine(even though all i did was put on a clear case with some LEDs...  nothing special), i want his to be my absolute best work ever.

P.S. Just to be safe/cool/special, i replaced the standard 1000 mAh battery with a 2000 mAh battery so that it can accomodate all these changes and not suffer too much loss in gameplay time.  I also planned on wiring a special button that'll turn on/off the Pule VU chip, but the DS logo and buttons would stay on no matter what so that he could turn off the pulsing so as not to distract too much from gameplay.  I want the DS logo to stay on no matter what, but since i want the buttons to stay stationary, and MAYBE turn them off, do i need a separate chip to do that, or can i wire in a button that'll do that alone?  I only want 1 pulse VU chip, as room in there's kinda cramped...

Post Merge: December 05, 2009, 09:28:42 PM
Alright, so i think i figured out one of my problems, and will experiment this on the DS missing the R button.  For the glowing DS logo, i can't dremel out the whole logo and expect to keep the middle part centered.  So i'll settle for a lesser effect, but as close as i can get.  I wanna backlight the buttons, and thought about going with a blue color scheme, but that scheme is overdone.  I'm thinking of going with a Purple/white color scheme for the LEDs.  So what i'll do is dremel out the DS logo save for one corner on both little squares, and fill it in with hot glue from a hot glue gun.  Just take the plate, dremel it out from the front, cover the front with some tape, and smash the glue in with my thumb from te "inside."  The tape should hopefully keep excess hot glue from wondering places on the outside, and will hopefully dry with a little bit of a raised edge, like the original logo.  If i use a semi-opaque hot glue, i'll hope that the glue will carry the light throughout the rest of the logo.  As for the lighting, i'm not sure where to pick the power supply for the LEDs, but as soon as i figure it out, i'll light up the logo purple and white.  That'ss hopefully blend with LED color scheme for the buttons.  I planned on using SMD LEDs and just running wires from them instead of surface mounting them.  Well, kinda.  I would run the wires to the LEDs, but i would glue them to the back of the screen in the places they would glow for the logo.  Ideas, thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Post Merge: December 06, 2009, 02:39:53 PM
Well, it doesn't look like i'm getting much help(yet), so i'll just go on my way and do it myself.  I'll post progress pics as i go along.  Maybe then some people will take interest.  I should have my first pics up by the end of the week.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 02:39:53 PM by Xine »

Offline Xine

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Bummer, dude!  The 2000 mAh battery i thought i was getting turned out to be a chinese LIE!!!  Oh well, back to the old one, i guess.  Anywho, i know i promised pictures, and i still promise them, just as soon as i find my card reader, or my camera cable...  whichever comes first...

Offline Demonboy

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • hunterish
hey i can help with the whole thing lol now what u wanna do for the speaker pulsing to the music is kinda simple kinda not depends on ur soldering skills lol.... what u wanna do is solder into the speaker and then connect the leds to the other end... like so

that will make the leds light up brighter and dimmer depending on the music as for the ds logo what u do is 1 of 2 things u can either 1.) wire into the led that turns on when u switch the power on (only thing is it will blink on stand by mode) or 2.) wire directly into the battery (i don't recommend that though... it can kill the lights if too much power goes into them or u can mess up and damage it to where u cant have power to the mother board and it wont turn on)

Post Merge: December 10, 2009, 05:26:14 PM
o and btw im new to ds modding im better with psp and xbox stuff but its all basically the same.... and that battery upgrade is a good idea wont die as fast if u have it... and damn i wish i had a friend like u who would buy me a ds/ portable handheld gaming system

Post Merge: December 10, 2009, 05:29:12 PM
and if u need help with lighting or anything with a psp/xbox u can pm me im really handy :) but atm i cant mod cause of a accident that happened on Tuesday to my hand... but i can still walk u through if u like :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 05:29:13 PM by demonboy »

lol look at this crap u can get like 5 bucks a day for doing  poop http://adf.ly/2Knsr

Offline Xine

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
DUde!  First response!  you get 25 LaVoo points! 

As for the pulsing LEDs, i had thought of that, but i wasn't sure if that would work.  Luckily i have a couple DSs to scrap, huh?  Even though i REALLY don't want to...  Oh well.  I think if i go for wiring the LEDs into the speaker power supply, i'll use those LEDs for a light-up logo effect.  I had originally planned on having the logo light-up stationary, like the apple on a macbook, and to do that i HAD indeed planned on tapping power from the battery.  But i think i like your idea more, hooking it up to the power supply for the console LEDs, and having the logo do whatever that power LEDs do...  It's be cool if i could make the logo turn green/red for high power/low power...  I think i'll poke around the DS motherboard with a multimiter to see if i can't make that happen...  Anyway dude, thanks for the great idea!

Offline Demonboy

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • hunterish
sure thing im new to this forum and need to build a rep up here... at my previous 1 i was paid for my sevices BUT it went dead for months so i started looking around and found this place and am starting fresh :) and ya if u need anymore help either PM me or find me on a post :)

lol look at this crap u can get like 5 bucks a day for doing  poop http://adf.ly/2Knsr

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal