Author Topic: Question Regarding LEDs, Sound Reactive, On and Off configuration  (Read 3200 times)

Offline Sibobby1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
I'm following this information:
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=28600.0

I have the same Motherboard.
My plan is to have 2 LEDs (For Now... :P) And have them in the triggers...
I want to use the Wifi switch instead of the Hold Switch because when I'm on the bus listening to music, sometimes I throw it on a song, and let it sit in my bacpack and I don't wish for the song to change :D

So I understand How i can solder this setup to the PSP and to the Wifi Switch so that when the switch is Down, the LEDs are off, when switch is up, the LEDs are Sound Reactive.

But what I want to do is Somehow, make it so that i can do something to just Turn them On / Off.

So I think i need to add a switch or solder a wire to a pre-existing place to replace its use.
So Overall I want:
Sound Reactive LEDs
Wifi Switch to Turn on and Off Sound Reactive
And Somehow turn the LEDs On or Off (Non- Sound Reactive)

Mind you I'm Very Experienced in PSP disassemble, but I am not the best at soldering.
So I would like to know what you guys can come up with

Thanks a lot
-Rob (sibobby1)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 06:49:05 PM by Sibobby1 »

Offline jakeykun

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: Question Regarding LEDs, Sound Reactive, On and Off configuration
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 04:41:08 PM »
Yah, you would need to add a switch create the on/off. To make things simple though i would just recommend a 2 position dip switch.

But to add another switch on what you would like to do.

Someone please correct me if im wrong. But i believe this would allow you to turn the led's on and off at will while still having the sound reactive lm386

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 04:42:54 PM by jakeykun »

Offline Sibobby1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 06:15:20 PM »
Now thinking about it, I can have 5 Volts going to the switch, and when the switch is up, it will connect to the LEDs Lighting them up, like having 2 wires running to the positive:

Because looking at the way you placed the switch, that would be Sound Reactive output, and the switch would be stopping and letting the Sound Reactive electric go through it. The way I just wired it, should allow 5 Volts to go through the LEDs, but thing is, I don't know if the Additional Electric from Sound Reactive Will Effect it. But, If it does, I can just flip the switch and it should turn off the Sound Reactive Part. The problem with turning off the sound reactive part is, that's the Negative part of the circuit, with that off, the 5 volts will not go through the Circuit. So I'm not sure how I'm going to accomplish this.

And can you show me a picture / link of the switch i would need to get at like RadioShack or something please?

Thanks

Post Merge: December 06, 2009, 06:26:29 PM
I can always just just use Mute with them Permanently on, but that takes away from the effect that I cant leave them on or off I guess?

Post Merge: December 06, 2009, 06:30:00 PM
And if 5 Volts is too powerful for the LEDs, I can add 3.6 Volts from the Powerboard, or I can add resistors onto the 5 Volts after the switch before the LEDs which would put in proper voltage
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 06:30:00 PM by Sibobby1 »

Offline jakeykun

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 11:50:07 PM »
For a switch from radioshack just try going there and finding the smallest one you can that looks like it would work. Most of them are pretty big which is really dissapointing.

But if you can buy online just go with a 2 position dip switch. You can set it up so that you have sound reactive without the lm386 so its much more reactive on one of the switches. And have the other switch hooked up so you just have the led's turned on normally.

something like this would be perfect.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIP-Switch-2-position-2pcs_W0QQitemZ170385344726QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SRCH:US:105

The only dipswitch that radioshack carries is a terrible 8 position.

Offline Sibobby1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 10:49:38 PM »
Is this correct?

Sorry, didn't feel like doing it on paint :P

And does the switch work like that? I know in the past I used things called "Knife Switches" which did work like that, Sadly, mine broke... It would be 3 leads. The middle is Output, the 2 Outside ones are input.So when the switch is one direction, it connects the input 1 and output, and the other way is input 2 and output. The 2nd switch is all the Negatives going to the WIFI Switch. When the switch is down, it connects the PSP negative to Nothing, hence off, when it is up, it completes the circuit, negative to negative, being On. Then from there, I use my 2nd switch to activate Sound Reactive or On. I think i have this down :)

For location of the switch... I wouldn't mind the battery location, but for some reason my Clear-Case- Door is loose, which bothers me (If you have a fix for that; let me know)... The other spot I wouldn't mind is the UMD Door. I seen some people just open them up and have switches on the Left side where the Wifi Card is with Space, and some people have them right up top... Wherever works, I just need a spot. suggestions are welcome. a Switch on the side of the case would be a really nice finish, but i think that's beyond my skill level.

Thanks for the help guys
-Rob

Post Merge: December 08, 2009, 01:27:16 PM
Also if you know the name of that type of Switch, please let me know? It might be what the previous poster says ... a DIP 2Position Switch? Not sure though.

Thanks for help.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:27:16 PM by Sibobby1 »

Offline Arioch_76

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 12:58:19 AM »
Hi, Why you don't take a ON/ON/ON switch (three positions), with this switch you don't need the Hold Switch.....

++
I Come Back Soon, with new Mod, with my Longboat Prusa  :tup:

Offline Sibobby1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 09:54:22 PM »
what is an On on on switch? Is it one that connects the Top to middle, middle to nothing, and Middle to bottom. and where can i get a switch like this? :) and where do you think the best place to put this would be?

Offline Arioch_76

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 09:50:23 AM »
Hi, it's three way Switch and the best place on a PSP Phat it's here (for me):

The best place to find it for you sorry I don't know, but with the reference and google, I think you can find him easily
Ref: C & K - PCM13SMTR

++
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:51:34 AM by Arioch_76 »
I Come Back Soon, with new Mod, with my Longboat Prusa  :tup:

Offline cyberdude1000

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 10:31:38 AM »
Hi guys, I'm new to acidmods. I want to do a direct contact sound reactive led mod. I want to connect two leds to each speaker. (for stereo sound reactive lights). Do I need to use any resistors for it to work or will it be alright without the resistors. can someone send me a link if they find  or know what I need? thanks in advance. PS I live in the UK. :)

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 11:27:23 AM »
it depends on what leds you are using. please give the forward voltage and amperage of the LED's you have and I can tell you what resistor you need, or you can google "LED resistor calculator"

Offline cyberdude1000

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 04:46:09 AM »
http://ledcalculator.net/

looks like the ebay listing got his numbers crossed, but there is the calc, put int the info below followed by the # of leds using and wala. for one led you need 47ohms of resistance.

power supply: 5V
led forward voltage: 3.6
led current: 30
number of leds: ????

Offline cyberdude1000

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 12:41:52 PM »
Thankyou so much, when I have ordered all the parts I need and I have finished this mod, I hope to upload some pictures or something...

PS. what is the best wire to use? 30awg kynar wire?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal