Poll

what component should I focus my money on most?

motherboard
graphics card
cpu
case
HDD/ssd
ram
cooling
accessories (mouse, keyboard, cam etc...)

Author Topic: what to do to my pc and how...  (Read 46809 times)

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: what to do to my pc and how...
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2010, 12:57:21 PM »
yep but I never had this much detail packed onto the monitor.  I think I may have had it for a while but never noticed it.

Offline aZiZ1

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #181 on: November 21, 2010, 05:14:25 PM »
yep but I never had this much detail packed onto the monitor.  I think I may have had it for a while but never noticed it.

im sorry but that makes no sense... if it worked fine with the old computer and not this one then its ur GPU's fault. Not your monitor.

Offline Ennon

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #182 on: November 22, 2010, 06:26:15 PM »
im sorry but that makes no sense... if it worked fine with the old computer and not this one then its ur GPU's fault. Not your monitor.

Meh, get a bigger screen anyways. lol

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #183 on: November 27, 2010, 08:56:34 AM »
Im getting a bigger screen.  I think I might get an xbox controller and a game.  after those 3, I'm getting a better PSU (not enough HDD connectors), SLI, then blu-ray.  After all that, Im getting the extra things such as extra fans, UV lights (although the fans are doing a good enough job at this), and a new speaker system.  BTW does anyone know of a PSU that can be mounted in a 5.25" bay?  I don't want to have to replace this PSU with a $300-400 PSU in order to handle all these HDDs.

Offline Ennon

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #184 on: November 27, 2010, 05:23:46 PM »
Im getting a bigger screen.  I think I might get an xbox controller and a game. 

Afaik 360 controllers are the most compatible with PC games. Yet, that leads to the question of why? Mouse+keyboard ftw :D

after those 3, I'm getting a better PSU (not enough HDD connectors), SLI, then blu-ray.  After all that, Im getting the extra things such as extra fans, UV lights (although the fans are doing a good enough job at this), and a new speaker system. 

Should have bought a PSU with enough connectors. . . tsk tsk. Simple solution: Buy more cables? Just get a splitter like these (I don't know what you need): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119010 , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119008 , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200468

Imo, SLI isn't really worth it.
Blu-Ray isn't either. It's expensive and optical media is phasing out anyway.

Look at Logitech for speaker systems, they're pretty good with audio (Go with Razer if you want a headset though.) If you can, get digital optical connectors (toslink). The sound quality is amazing :D

BTW does anyone know of a PSU that can be mounted in a 5.25" bay?  I don't want to have to replace this PSU with a $300-400 PSU in order to handle all these HDDs.

No. No, lol. Just buy some more cables.

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #185 on: December 10, 2010, 01:16:21 PM »
thanks for the reply. I have OC'd this system stably at 3.8 Ghz and only 44C idle! lol that was taken in bios after a long run test though. (boinc using 100%of cpu for 2 days)

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #186 on: December 14, 2010, 02:20:58 PM »
the 1st major set of problems have just set in.  The PC won't boot. It says "checking DMI pool data" then if you wait 5-10 min. it would say something like  "boot drive error" or if I put in the boot disk it would say "booting from cd/dvd". I have to go into the boot disk and do a memory check 5-10 times before it starts the memory check then windows.  any ideas why?

Offline Ennon

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #187 on: December 14, 2010, 09:15:06 PM »
the 1st major set of problems have just set in.  The PC won't boot. It says "checking DMI pool data" then if you wait 5-10 min. it would say something like  "boot drive error" or if I put in the boot disk it would say "booting from cd/dvd". I have to go into the boot disk and do a memory check 5-10 times before it starts the memory check then windows.  any ideas why?

Unplug your hard drives. Yeah, all of em. Then boot from a cd and see what happens.

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #188 on: December 17, 2010, 06:59:50 PM »
I fixed it. it was the cable. it had a nasty bend in it.  now to figuring out what is wrong with my pc not playing black ops.

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #189 on: January 12, 2011, 12:34:26 PM »
I like this new system! I got a new Xbox controller working with my PC and black ops runs smoothly with no problems.  The only complaint I have is my internet speed sucks.  pings are around 1000 so I cant play MP.  I live out in the middle of a farm area so I am constantly getting kicked off the servers.  Any ideas how to address this problem? I am getting only about 1/2 of what we pay for we are signed up for broadband speeds but only get dial-up speeds.  any way to fix this through our PCs? Centurytel won't do anything about it if we call. we're at the bottom of their list of problems to fix so calling is out of the question as well as getting a 2nd account and somehow joining the bandwith from both to be one account.

Offline jacobia jacob

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • come at me bro
« Reply #190 on: January 12, 2011, 12:54:24 PM »
switch isp. if you can't do that, call and act like you can if they don't bump your connection up a bit. mention the latency being ridiculous and ask what they can do about it. if they sound like they're blowing you off, contact the manager. repeat if necessary.

also if you can avoid it, don't use wireless.

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #191 on: June 01, 2011, 04:39:33 PM »
Hey sorry if I'm bumping an old topic, but I wanted to give you an update on my PC.  I got a new xbox controller for it and replaced all the buttons with bullet shells (except the large green X and the bumpers).  The wifi has gone haywire and I don't have any way to fix it, so I could be playing games and then lose internet when the signal still shows 4/5 bars.  I keep telling my dad that we need to convert the old phone line that goes to my room (unused and a cat5e cable) into a wired connection, but he won't let me because the jack is on the opposite side of my room.  I already have 2 cables hanging above my door and going around the trim of my room, but what's the difference in having a third?  He won't let me do it even though I'm willing to pay for it.  The hard work of putting the wire through the wall is already done, so the only work left is putting a 20 ft extension on the end in the basement, drilling a hole in the floor to feed it through, and plugging a 30 ft cable into the jack and my PC.  All this could be done in a 1/2 hour and then I will have a gigabit connection to the network.  I don't get why he won't let me do it.  any help is appreciated.

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
« Reply #192 on: June 02, 2011, 02:51:10 AM »
Hey sorry if I'm bumping an old topic, but I wanted to give you an update on my PC.  I got a new xbox controller for it and replaced all the buttons with bullet shells (except the large green X and the bumpers).  The wifi has gone haywire and I don't have any way to fix it, so I could be playing games and then lose internet when the signal still shows 4/5 bars.  I keep telling my dad that we need to convert the old phone line that goes to my room (unused and a cat5e cable) into a wired connection, but he won't let me because the jack is on the opposite side of my room.  I already have 2 cables hanging above my door and going around the trim of my room, but what's the difference in having a third?  He won't let me do it even though I'm willing to pay for it.  The hard work of putting the wire through the wall is already done, so the only work left is putting a 20 ft extension on the end in the basement, drilling a hole in the floor to feed it through, and plugging a 30 ft cable into the jack and my PC.  All this could be done in a 1/2 hour and then I will have a gigabit connection to the network.  I don't get why he won't let me do it.  any help is appreciated.

two words, Powerline Networking

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #193 on: June 02, 2011, 01:09:44 PM »
One word: can't.  I have too many dimmers in my house (at least 10).  it wouldn't be any difference because my PC and the router aren't on the same line.  If it hadn't been for the fact that my house has too many dimmers, I would have done that in the first place.  Btw, I got the wifi working again.  This time it was the router.  I unplugged it for about 5 minutes then plugged it back in and it worked.

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
« Reply #194 on: June 02, 2011, 02:11:28 PM »
One word: can't.  I have too many dimmers in my house (at least 10).  it wouldn't be any difference because my PC and the router aren't on the same line.  If it hadn't been for the fact that my house has too many dimmers, I would have done that in the first place.  Btw, I got the wifi working again.  This time it was the router.  I unplugged it for about 5 minutes then plugged it back in and it worked.

dimmers?

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #195 on: June 02, 2011, 02:35:14 PM »
variable resistors for lights.  They make a lot of noise on the lines.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal