Author Topic: 5mm LED question  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Tyler89--

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
5mm LED question
« on: July 08, 2010, 06:54:58 PM »
I'm trying to light my ABYX buttons. So I ordered some 5mm LED's from Unique-leds. when the arrived, I tried to test them for polarity. I connected some wire to one and soldered one wire to the ground and the other to the VVD/+ (matrix). But the LED didn't light, so I reversed the wires, assuming I had the polarity wrong, still nothing. Eventually I added a resistor to the VVD side and did get the LED to blink when the controller was powered on, but it just blinked and would not stay lit.

What am I doing wrong? Forward voltage on these LED's is between2.9 - 3.5

Regards,

Tyler   :beg:

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: 5mm LED question
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 10:06:46 PM »
The longer lead of the LED is the Anode +, the shorter lead is the Cathode - and the LED body is flat on that side as well.

The Wireless controller only has 2.5v to 3.3v depending on the battery pack that's used or if the PnC cable is plugged up. Also there is no switched source in any of the controllers that's really good for driving LEDs, so you should use an OC to make one.

https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,34805.0.html

You'll have some issues with LEDs that need 3v or more, especially if you're using the PnC battery pack,though some will still light up, but they're not going to look as good as they can.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: 5mm LED question
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 07:16:12 AM »
tyler, your controller is matrix, I assume you are using the switched power source (the left of the three circles at the far left of the mobo) this source only supplies 2v. and is not enough to power that led

as stated above, use an OC and pull power off the battery os you can have 3v.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal