Author Topic: Federal Bureau of Investigation – The Web Master Key  (Read 5303 times)

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Blogs & Media Editor-In-Chief
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
  • Within my shadows there are no sins
Federal Bureau of Investigation – The Web Master Key
« on: February 17, 2011, 11:27:52 PM »
   Last fall the General Counsel for the Federal Bureau of Investigation Valerie Caproni pushed for the evolution of the internet’s wiretapping authority, which would give the bureau a master key to all encrypted communications.

However that is no longer the case, in all actuality her new stance is in the opposite direction.
“No one's suggesting that Congress should re-enter the encryption battles of the late 1990s, There's no need to "talk about encryption keys, escrowed keys, and the like--that's not what this is all about." - Valerie Caproni

Instead of her previous stance, this new one would require communication providers and websites would become mandated to divulge unencrypted data they have in their possession.

“The FBI says that because of the rise of Web-based e-mail and social networks, it's "increasingly unable" to conduct certain types of surveillance that would be possible on cellular and traditional telephones. Any solution, it says, should include a way for police armed with wiretap orders to conduct surveillance of "Web-based e-mail, social-networking sites, and peer-to-peer communications technology.” – cNet

-TwisTtheTwiTcH

Offline Bonz

• I'm Back Baby
  • Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +3/-1
  • 2 1337 4 u
    • Bonznumber1
Re: Federal Bureau of Investigation – The Web Master Key
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:39:59 AM »
wow glad i'm beyond there reach.... i love Canada

Offline frenulem - No.5417

• Ultimate Badass
  • Blogs & Media Team
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +23/-0
  • Learning Pascal Cuz i'm dumb and 'Ting
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 04:06:20 AM »
Indeed, I'm Loving the FBI being in red white and blue

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 04:30:59 AM »
yeah fren but that doesnt stop our government and there DEA

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

• Ultimate Badass
  • Blogs & Media Team
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +23/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 04:35:06 AM »
Yeah, we will soon follow, Oh Look at twist linking us to things :D haha. Seriously tho, I can only see it being a short amount of time before the same thing happens here

Offline laxboy

• i like airplanes
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • CTVFD 9/11 lost but never forgotten
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 06:02:20 AM »
Oh good old DEA but robin you cant forget the ATF CGIS NCIS Postal police um hmm NSA Secret service USMS and a good bunch of other federal law

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 06:14:55 AM »
nah i meant DEA as in Digital Economy Act - its a new law there passing in the UK

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline laxboy

• i like airplanes
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • CTVFD 9/11 lost but never forgotten
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 06:28:20 AM »
oh well they would all use this as well most likly im like 90% sure they all have access to the same database

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 10:10:37 AM »
they're just pissed that their old tactics don't work anymore and that they're not smart enough to come up with a covert way of monitoring social networking so they want companies to just give them the information and access they want... they're like a bunch of whiny little kids...
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline [HoP]

• Ex-AcidMag
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +9/-3
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 12:45:08 PM »
we are moving toward a world economy, when that happens we will have no power.. and due to the long time government BS in every country we as people have allowed the governments to gain unfair advantages. Sure our numbers are greater, but they have technology in their back pocket. even if these acts dont pass, they still happen. good luck to anyone and everyone.

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 12:48:19 PM »
Glad i live in the states, when the revolution comes at least the government can't use the military against the citizens nor on US soil...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 07:47:28 PM »
the government will do whatever it need to do to protect itself then blame it on terrorists and then get the mass media will brainwash you.

Yeah the FBI is just a bunch of 3 yr olds that cant get their way

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 09:31:35 PM »
yes but they can't blame violating two major articles of the constitution and using the military against the public exercising their constitutional right to overthrow their own government on terrorism. terrorism is the excuse for everything that happens now because they know that the people will allow it and support it because the people are too stupid and lazy to figure otherwise and believe everything they're told anyway, as long as it comes from an 'authority figure'.

as far as the mass media brainwashing people... they only brainwash you if you let them. I don't blame the mass media for the rampant ignorance and idiocy in the general public, I blame the general public for being so f-ing lazy they believe everything they see on the one US 'news' channel they watch, be it FOX News, CNN, MSNBC, or wherever. they all have an agenda and none of them are unbiased or 'fair & balanced'. that's the biggest crock of s--t slogan I have ever heard, watch that channel for more than 2 minutes and it's quite obvious that they are neither fair nor balanced (how can you be balanced when you only present one view point over and over in every show you air? that's not balance that's bias. never mind that, did you know that for a '24 hour news channel' FOX actually has less than 4 hours of actual news programming? the rest is all 'editorial commentary', and those figures are direct from the head of FOX... hell, ask Bill O'Reilley. He doesn't even actually personally believe any of the things he professes on his show. he just reads off of the teleprompter the commentary that has been written for him. yes, he actually said that and was not being facetious...). 'brainwashing' is just a cop out for lazy bastards who don't want to take personal responsibility for the fact that they just don't give a s--t anymore...

The saddest part of all of this is that I read about this in 8th grade... I believe the two books were called '1984' by George Orwell and 'A Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley... If you've never read them they are serious must reads for anyone disgusted by the present situation in the country and the world in general. Read them even if you've never read a book before. read them both, combine the two books into one vision and you have our current national and world state... And people wonder if it's art that imitates life or life that imitates art... I'll go with the latter.

Offline HiddenVenom

• Gone 'shopping
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Photoschlop.
    • Star Legion
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 07:01:54 AM »
Glad i live in the states, when the revolution comes at least the government can't use the military against the citizens nor on US soil...

Doesn't mean that they won't.

If the DEA gets passed and put into action in the UK, I think illegal onlice activity will be on the rise. This country has it's fair share of PO'd crackers, and I fear that the DEA will cause more people to engae in petty internet crime. A large amount of the 'anonymous' colective will likely get involved.

Disclaimer: I am niether a cracker nor a member of the group anonymous.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 03:15:27 PM »
'1984' by George Orwell and 'A Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley... If you've never read them they are serious must reads for anyone disgusted by the present situation

I just went to the library today and copied some PCB layouts to transfer paper and picked up those books. reading right now.

• Ultimate Badass
  • Blogs & Media Team
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +23/-0
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 06:54:51 PM »
reading right now.

FOOKz....reading....?

reading old copy of 1984 now

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 07:00:30 PM »
FOOKz....reading....?

reading old copy of 1984 now

dude i said i don't read story books. These are kinda/somewhat non-fiction books where you can actually apply it to real life. How the hell am i going to apply 'green eggs and ham' or 'gone with the wind' to real life?????????????? (thats why i dont read fiction)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 07:03:37 PM by FOOKz »

• Ultimate Badass
  • Blogs & Media Team
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +23/-0
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 07:34:02 AM »
lol You can apply every book to real life, if you see green eggs and ham your probably tripping on acid :P

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 02:19:01 PM »
There was a huge political debate last year on a similar topic.

The US government wanted to implement an "Internet Kill Switch" in the event of a technological war, to cut all internet communications between it and the outside world as a matter of "national security".

This is how our government works - we're slowly becoming both global police and at the same time isolationists.

But, it's not possible to even make an internet kill switch!

They could try - but that would mean :

Cutting off all international phone calls.
Cutting off all cellphones ability to make international calls.
Disabling any satellites that could be used to communicate with the outside world.
Disabling mail coming in and out of the country.

Necessity is the mother of invention, right now, there isn't much necessity to bust out the satellite phone and connect online 33.6 style. But, if it was tightened to that point, people would go so far as to use espionage in the form of "snail mail chess" to access american servers.

This just seems to be the response to the "Internet Kill Switch" getting denied.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal