Author Topic: possible umd door mod?  (Read 2151 times)

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
possible umd door mod?
« on: March 20, 2011, 03:16:37 PM »
with my umd drive removed i have been trying to figure out what to do with the space, i have decided that instead of doing a ring of light im going to light up the psp logo, but i still have lots of space left, i thought maybe i could ude that extra space for storing my memory sticks, but just dropping then into the umd area wouldnt work out...

so i drew up a design idea, and a new design for opening the umd door so its easier to get my memory sticks out.
i attached the picture, there would be bars that pivot on the psp and the door, the red circle would be a possible spot for a micro motor for the door opening to be more or less automated.

who thinks this could be possible?

My systems:  -PSP 2001, CFW and PSP 3000 shell.  -PSP 1001, LED mods, custom firmware, speaker mods, sound reactive LEDs.  -Black NDSL, LED mod, 0.5x and 2x speed mod. 

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
Re: possible umd door mod?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 04:34:24 PM »
I dunno, I don't wanna quash your idea, but that's gonna a lot of work for not much yield. I like the hinge concept, but motorizing it is going to be lots of micro work that won't last long.

Personally, I'd get rid of the whole hinge concept and go with a vertical fully removable slide, and use foam rubber with spots cut out for mem sticks. Flat, you should fit 8 sticks, taking advantage of the entire space, not just half.

Offline Sammy

• BST BAN
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +15/-1
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 04:53:40 PM »
I think that would be awesome and i would probably do that to mine to if it worked out,i was thinking you could hook the motors up to the wifi switch so when you switch it up it opened and switched it down it closed,but like goat said it would take alot of work. but i wouldnt use mine for memory stick i would use mine for like a internal go cam with like 2 bright lights next to it that had a switch to turn on and off for flash or extra light if its dark.

This is my 100th post. YAY!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 05:04:00 PM by sammy »

Toad: Sam, You sound like your stoned out of your mind lol
Me: :D

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 05:15:35 PM »
in my opinion, when it comes to a mod work isnt a variable.
i did the math and actually you can only fit a max of 6 mem sticks laying totally flat, no matter the orientation.
i get what you guys mean by the motor being less than necessary and too much work, but i think its worth the extra wow factor. im going to see if i can test this design out on another shell, wish me luck.
My systems:  -PSP 2001, CFW and PSP 3000 shell.  -PSP 1001, LED mods, custom firmware, speaker mods, sound reactive LEDs.  -Black NDSL, LED mod, 0.5x and 2x speed mod. 

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 05:25:52 PM »
My worry is the sturdiness - small parts moving a large part with a large impact area, and a motor hitting a stop spot is going to be a big hurdle.

Good luck on it regardless - let my hot air be wind in your sails to get it done! :D I definitely want to see a video of your prototype!

Offline cyberboy109

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +8/-4
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 05:57:11 PM »
cool idea but would I would go for a maunual open than motorised ....

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 07:22:42 PM »
i think i might have to rethink the hinges, finding a material that would be sturdy enough after its cut so small would be a challenge, as would be cutting the part that small...

no instead of 4 incredibly small hinging pieces, i think i might end up taking small craft hinges, like actual hinges, and solder them together to create a equal part, but it would be sturdier than the original plan, the only problem would be that my idea for having it motorized might be compromised unless i can think of some other sort of system for that.

i think my new plan for this will end up with a stronger hinge, now that i think of it, having small pieces of whatever might not have been a strong hinge, especially with the way that the part would have to be, even pulling on the door by accident could break it.

unfortunately i cant find my other 1001 shell, all i have is a shell from a 3000 that i got for $25, at least i rebuilt my 1000's analog stick and got a 2gb memory stick from it, does anyone know if something being spilled on the psp could cause the same symptoms as being bricked? i noticed that the 3000 might not have been bricked after all and perhaps there is just a short circuit or a blown fuse or something.

anyways i am going to see if my local dollar store has any small hinges i can use, it would be even better if they were made of a solderable material.

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 08:11:47 PM »
I got a bit of an idea when I mentioned vertical slide - same concept as a cd tray with rails and gears, and store the cards on the door itself. But there still is the thing about it being a high impact area and a small area to work.

I know with my 1000 I have currently it shorted the brightness key, causing it to be "held down" all the time. I cleaned between the metal rail and the ribbon's key, which then made it an alternating short - so it was a seizure box. Picked it up super cheap and used, but it had a lot of soda damage. I ebayed a new home bar and that did it - works like a champ.

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 09:13:20 PM »
i have school tomorrow so im not going to be able to get those hinges until later this week, i think i might try cleaning the 3000 board with some rubbing alcohol and try it out of the shell, i hope it might work, unless the psp actually is bricked.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal