Author Topic: "Anonymous" Attacks Sony  (Read 28513 times)

Offline Sammy

• BST BAN
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +15/-1
"Anonymous" Attacks Sony
« on: April 09, 2011, 04:06:46 PM »
Im sure a lot of you have heard this but a few days ago hacker Anonymous sent a message to Sony about suing Hackers GeoHot and Graf_chokolo  a summary of what the hackers said,

"Congratulations, Sony.

You have now received the undivided attention of Anonymous. Your recent legal action against our fellow hackers, GeoHot and Graf_Chokolo, has not alarmed us, it has been deemed wholly unforgivable....Now you will experience the wrath of Anonymous You saw a hornets' nest, and stuck your penises in it You must face the consequences of your actions,Anonymous style."

Heres the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcSCUU4Fg9k&feature=player_embedded heres some more info 
http://anonnews.org/?p=press&a=item&i=787

Sources Ps3-hacks.com anonnews.org   
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:34:40 PM by whitetop »

Toad: Sam, You sound like your stoned out of your mind lol
Me: :D

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
Re: "Anonymous" Attacks Sony
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 04:15:35 PM »
AWESOME

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
  • im not in the ass kissing team
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 04:23:35 PM »
was this not posted a few days ago???

plus them hackers are crap one of them already been busted in russia great hackers plus why help a :censored: like geo that takes others stuff that they work really hard on and releases it as his own he broke the law he should pay simple as.
come to the rite place if you kiss admins as they promote you to admin.

Offline Sammy

• BST BAN
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +15/-1
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 04:31:43 PM »
was this not posted a few days ago???

plus them hackers are crap one of them already been busted in russia great hackers plus why help a :censored: like geo that takes others stuff that they work really hard on and releases it as his own he broke the law he should pay simple as.
i dont think it was, also where did you read this about geo?

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 04:35:57 PM »
look very far back about geo some sites still have info about it

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 05:03:09 PM »
yeah its all well and good hating on geo whitetop but the problem is if sony win against him it will set a bad precedence in law. the court case has already set a bad precedence in law in regards to privacy by getting his hosting isp and twitter and facebook and youtube etc to hand over all the personal IP addresses etc of every user who visited his site and videos or tweeted about his site or videos. that precedence now means that if a company decides to sue someone over hacking there hardware or software again then they can now with the precedence thats been set have them fork over all the info of people who have visited that site etc and if sony wins then thats even worse. it would potentially give companies like sony and nintendo etc the power to go after anyone who hacks there consoles or operating systems aka US and any other modder/hacker out there.

now that is a scary thought that i really do not want to come true and im sure most of you dont - sony should be stopped in there tirade against people who like to tinker

p.s. i bet sony are kicking themselves over removing the otherOS feature now as that is where this all started lol

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 05:13:03 PM »
they should have not put the otheros on from start

plus never through of it that way but is this kind of modding really that bad? as it don't lead to piracy just making your stuff look better.

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 05:29:34 PM »
the problem is a lot of this stuff starts with one domino falling and then it is a knock on affect. a bit like data caps on smartphones in the uk everyone used to have unlimited data as no one wanted to be the first to put in a cap but as soon as one company put a cap in place they all followed suit over the coming months and now the 3 network is the only one still offering unlimited data.

but it would make things like cfw on the psp, wii, 360 at risk and put at risk the creation of personal backups or theming of your device etc precedence in law is a scary thing

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 06:11:04 PM »
Lots of info regarding GeoHot's defense and the class action lawsuit against Sony (otherOS removal).
http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20110402000830503

I don't understand how someone could be upset with GeoHot and talk down about him. Thanks to his work and many other hackers works, we've got access to service modes and custom firmwares. Mods aren't just in cans of spraypaint, it involves a lot of codebreaking trademarked and copyrighted software that the public doesn't - but should - have access to, and writing replacement code to give you the freedom to use your hardware as you desire.

Offline l0rdnic0

• 2%
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +8/-0
  • TeamCYBER

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 06:16:56 PM »
I agree Robin 100%, but there is more. Based on the dockets and how the case plays out it will affect what we can and can't do with our purchased items once we take them home from the store!

Sony feels as if your RENTING that PS3 system that you bought. At least that's what they are pushing for if they win.  Take some of that with a grain of salt but really read up on the case and the dockets on Groklaw, I'm not kidding people get informed. 

I hope that Geohot is not lying for our sake! However even if you don't like him you really should hate Sony more. I'll be damed if I'm told I can't take a screwdriver to something that I spent my money on.  :faint:

L0rdNiC0 Pioneering Mods on the PSP Slim :taunt:
Sound Mod, Button LED Mod, Security Mod, Dual NUB, Mode Select Switch + More

Offline Hazer

• x4675636B4E7574
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +59/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 08:02:49 PM »
Its all well and good to be hatin on Sony, but its misplaced.

Mac is right, if the precedence is set about acquiring personal traceable info, its like giving big companies a legal loop-hole to get your personal private information WHEN YOU ARE NOT THE SUSPECT! In the US, the law makes it clear that an individuals privacy is to be maintained unless enough suspicion has been built to WARRANT break that individuals privacy. If this precedent is set, it means your 'virtual privacy' will be violated simply because you read an article on a web-page somewhere, that Sony could have the right to gain access not only to your IP transactions, but maybe even financial transactions as well (did you ever buy one of those Jailbreak clones?).

As far as your 'right' to the hardware you purchased:
You purchased a box that plays games. It has some added features. But the main core promise of the parent company was to provide you a game console to play legally purchased games. Even the crap about 'backups' is total *****. If you wearout a game, buy another. Its like saying you only ever have to buy one golf ball for your entire life. You paid $XXX for a box to insert your game disc into. Sony provided that. If you want to change your theme, go right ahead. Sony only bans you from PSN, and they have the right to do so. Once you have altered the hardware, they have the right to make sure your custom box does not screw-up thier network, nor are they responsible for the condition of your box since you altered it. But you also realize that 99% of the hackers only do it so that piracy can be had. Its the reason 99.99% of people alter thier box to begin with. Stop lying about any f******* story otherwise. There have been how many people who even knew about OtherOS? Compare that to how many jailbreaks have been sold in one year. Its in the millions. Its damn near close to how many PS3 have been manufactured.

Sony created the playstation as a competitive game console. They have done thier due diligence to provide a quality product. All businesses follow the same practice. They provide a product or service wanted by the customer. In those terms, they have done an excellent job. They have the right to protect themselves from thieves. Any business would. Considering the broad effect of piracy, it is no wonder they are suing the crap out of the self-proclaimed hackers who opened up the copy-protection they have. It will end up being a deterent in the longrun.

As for your customizations that do not have anything to do with priacy, where is the petition to Sony asking for them to provide it? Why does eveyone think it can only be had by breaking the integrity of the original hardare instead of asking the vendor to provide it?

And before anyone hops onto 'Sony deserves to get squashed', think about how fun it would be if your/your families/your friends emplyers all went out of business because some crap company in another country forced them out of business with outright illegal methods. Sony has only done what was asked of them in the first place: Make a PS3 to play games, games provided by other companies that need Sony to provide protection against piracy.
[Quote from Gamermodz via Viking forums]
Don't be jealous your not half as smart. I hate ****tards like you. An ignorant redneck. Your nothing but a posing ******. Get the **** out of here, really, your claim to fame is an open source rapid fire code? You make me laugh. You think you have control over the modding market?  You couldn't create what I can and do. You are too ignorant with your outrageous assumptions and accusations. [/Quote]

Offline Sammy

• BST BAN
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +15/-1
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 08:18:18 PM »
Its all well and good to be hatin on Sony, but its misplaced.

Mac is right, if the precedence is set about acquiring personal traceable info, its like giving big companies a legal loop-hole to get your personal private information WHEN YOU ARE NOT THE SUSPECT! In the US, the law makes it clear that an individuals privacy is to be maintained unless enough suspicion has been built to WARRANT break that individuals privacy. If this precedent is set, it means your 'virtual privacy' will be violated simply because you read an article on a web-page somewhere, that Sony could have the right to gain access not only to your IP transactions, but maybe even financial transactions as well (did you ever buy one of those Jailbreak clones?).

As far as your 'right' to the hardware you purchased:
You purchased a box that plays games. It has some added features. But the main core promise of the parent company was to provide you a game console to play legally purchased games. Even the crap about 'backups' is total *****. If you wearout a game, buy another. Its like saying you only ever have to buy one golf ball for your entire life. You paid $XXX for a box to insert your game disc into. Sony provided that. If you want to change your theme, go right ahead. Sony only bans you from PSN, and they have the right to do so. Once you have altered the hardware, they have the right to make sure your custom box does not screw-up thier network, nor are they responsible for the condition of your box since you altered it. But you also realize that 99% of the hackers only do it so that piracy can be had. Its the reason 99.99% of people alter thier box to begin with. Stop lying about any f******* story otherwise. There have been how many people who even knew about OtherOS? Compare that to how many jailbreaks have been sold in one year. Its in the millions. Its damn near close to how many PS3 have been manufactured.

Sony created the playstation as a competitive game console. They have done thier due diligence to provide a quality product. All businesses follow the same practice. They provide a product or service wanted by the customer. In those terms, they have done an excellent job. They have the right to protect themselves from thieves. Any business would. Considering the broad effect of piracy, it is no wonder they are suing the crap out of the self-proclaimed hackers who opened up the copy-protection they have. It will end up being a deterent in the longrun.

As for your customizations that do not have anything to do with priacy, where is the petition to Sony asking for them to provide it? Why does eveyone think it can only be had by breaking the integrity of the original hardare instead of asking the vendor to provide it?

And before anyone hops onto 'Sony deserves to get squashed', think about how fun it would be if your/your families/your friends emplyers all went out of business because some crap company in another country forced them out of business with outright illegal methods. Sony has only done what was asked of them in the first place: Make a PS3 to play games, games provided by other companies that need Sony to provide protection against piracy.
wow, that was awesome. i agree with you lol

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 08:29:52 PM »
hahahhaha Sony is pretending you have a mortgage on your PS3 and they own rights until you pay them 20x the price for it. hhahahaa

I'll put an xbox360 in a PS3 case make a video and called it hacked and watch sony go ape-:censored: over a stupid video of a 'hacked' console, then they'll get all my personal info and then raid my house and realize it was a case mod. hahahaaha

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 09:24:45 PM »
hey hazer i agree with you 99% of your argument! xD and specialy about the geohot situation that might put a "precedence".

and yes all they say that "backups" is bull:censored:! they only people who actually benefit from this is developers who are independent. and alot of people who have a old ps3 (phat) may of also bought it for one of its key features that was "run linux". Which i did. sony advertised it that one of its key features. But what i dont diagree that sony progressively takes away features with fimware progressions. Ie, linux, drive laser power, cpu temp modification. (yes sonny :censored:ed with old ps3 to increase the power of the blue-ray drive diode, effectively reducing the lifespan, and having to buy another one u.u) and yes alot of people knew about other OS. the US military bought ps3 to make computer clusters. and acoridng to sony the reason why they took off this feature was because IBM was losing buisness with the military for IBM computers.

and when people say that it was geohots fought that piracy started. your wrong. He patched the Lv2 Hv to not play pirated games. that means that he put alot of work so people wont be pirates.

the annonymus team is just doing something stupid. they are doing DoS attacts on sonys servers and their domains. and in consequence, People in PSN are suffering. i understand they want to attack sonypictures or the main sony website, or even the sony PSN store, but not the actual people using PSN, ive suffered poor connection along with others thoughout the week.

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 09:29:42 PM »
Well, it hasn't been Anon causing connectivity issues.

http://www.anonnews.org/?p=press&a=item&i=797

This was posted on April 6th.

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 09:36:30 PM »
well for me personally PSN has bin unplayable ever since they started their attacks, and sony even tweeted out that they had "spontaneous server maintenance, sorry for the inconvenience"

Offline Crumbz

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
  • Networking & Database Administrator
    • www.asagia.net (Coming Soon!)
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 12:39:25 AM »
I dunno this all seems like some big messy blob of crap now.

Sony will try to do as they please and yes GeoHot (??) getting caught was kind of a big thing i guess (although i still believe that he did in fact work with a modding team and then released all the data early so he'd get the credit).

But the point of this is that Anonymous is trying to prove a point by attacking Sony in all the wrong places... i mean doesn't it seem kinda strange that a group who would willingly say that they are trying to fight to keep the "flow of free information" going
 by attacking servers that could and do help aid the flow of that very same free information?

criticize me if you like but im just stating my valid opinion.

P.S. I agree with the fact that legal "backup's" is bull:censored:.

Also anyone else notice that when you tried to decline the new legal agreement proposed by SCEA that pops up on the PSN store page it doesn't work? That it just takes you back to the agreement page again.

Just wondering cuz in the email that they sent to all PSN members who were registered before the change took affect stated that "if you should so choose to not accept the new agreement that you would have your money returned to you" and so far that has not happened.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 12:48:58 AM by TwistedMind33 »

Minecraft Server (Online)
Name: Asagia Realm's
Address: mc.asagia.net:65156

Offline Luke

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 04:49:27 AM »
I cannot agree with this comment anymore on youtube
We are anonymous. We do not forgive. We do not pull chicks. We do live in our parents basements.

Offline Hazer

• x4675636B4E7574
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +59/-0
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 06:07:16 AM »
I guess what I am trying to say is that Geo helped provide the information pirates use to steal games. He knew that his information would be used to bypass copyright protections (it already was being bypassed, he released the info to make it easier). I know it was not his intent, but you cannot provide the means under the guise of some arbitrary little-used feature.

I may be flamed for this statement: Homebrew is not worth providing the entire world with an easy way to pirate games. Geo and others should have kept thier **** to themselves. They believe they are championing some kind of revolt against a corporate monster, thier actions have done nothing more than provide a way for chinese shmuks to make a cheap dime off PS3 owners at the expense of Sony and the game developers. Well geuss what, the reason they are still in business is because Sony and the game developers are not eating that cost.....WE ARE!!!! The reason games are $50+ is because of piracy! It takes alot less to manufacture games than it did in the past, that cost should be transfered down to the customer. But since piracy creates more cost in engineering hardware, engineering software protections, and absorbed into the base cost of a game due to lost sales, all of those costs go to the end user, the customer, which is us.

As a customer, I can tell you right now: You want linux, build a ****ing PC and ST*U. Your linux is not worth my games being $30 over-priced. Your homebrew can be played on a PC. Your custom themes can be provided by Sony if you ask them. I am sick of having to pay for your arbitrary desires while chinese companies rape our profit in jailbreak/R4/DSsun/Xcuter sales all because your 'hero' made copyright protection breaking public.

And  if you hate Sony so much, ST*U and dont buy one. Same goes for the rest. Most of you dont realize how many crappy system there are out there. These garbage game consoles never reach the US/UK/non-3rd world countries. But they do exist, DX sells the handhelds. If Sony/MS/Nintnedo shut thier doors, there will still be consoles but they would be the worst thing you could ever imagine.

There was a thread 2 days ago about eveyone saying they wanted start thier own business and become rich. Well lets sya you got what you wanted. How would you fel if someone stole it out for under you with chinese clones and illegal sales? Any answer other than "they should be thrown in jail" will make you a hypocrite.
Don't be jealous your not half as smart. I hate ****tards like you. An ignorant redneck. Your nothing but a posing ******. Get the **** out of here, really, your claim to fame is an open source rapid fire code? You make me laugh. You think you have control over the modding market?  You couldn't create what I can and do. You are too ignorant with your outrageous assumptions and accusations. [/Quote]

Offline XsavioR

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-3
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 07:14:58 AM »
Hazer by your standards farmers should be held accountable for multiple attacks on the world trade center because they are the reason the explosives that were used  are well known.

Your thinking does not add up.

Offline Hazer

• x4675636B4E7574
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +59/-0
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 08:10:58 AM »
In sumary:

You cannot have your linux/homebrew unless you open the system to piracy.
If you open the system to piracy, the cost of the system/games goes up.
Your homebrew/linux does NOT need to be on the game system. It can be done on PC hardware (its even easier).

Now ask every PS3/XBOX/Wii owner in the world to take a vote: Which would you rather have?

A: Linux/homebrew on your system.
B: All the games cost less than $25 from now on.

I am making an ducated geuss that MOST console owners care more about the money than the homebrew.
Now lets ask the hackers who they do this for really? They do it for pride and 'internet street credit'. They do not do it for the masses.

Hazer by your standards farmers should be held accountable for multiple attacks on the world trade center because they are the reason the explosives that were used  are well known.

Your thinking does not add up.

Look up the term 'entrapment'.

Another analogy: Guns do not kill people, people kill people. But if you put a gun into someones hand that you KNOW has the intent to break the law, then you are now just as responsible. That term is 'accomplice'.

Offline XsavioR

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-3
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 08:24:40 AM »
The thing is games have been 50-60 bucks for new block busters for as long as i can remember.  By your assumptions, with MILLIONS of psjailbreaks being sold games should cost some where around 100 a piece , because they just keep going up right?

You can pick up some garbage games for 19.99 a year after they are out. Good games , basically stay the same 50 - 60 $ price tag.

If you want to substantiate your assumptions then lets see some graphs of game prices showing the curve you claim. 

Steam is a great example of anti piracy in working order.  Their games are still 50 - 60 $ and you dont even get a box , cd, or manual.  IF what your saying had any basis then steam would open block buster game sales at 19.99 to encourage purchase threw secure channels. They dont because the price is nothing to do with piracy.  You can go buy BF2 for about 20$ , not because it wasnt pirated because it is old.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:29:23 AM by XsavioR »

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 09:21:07 AM »
wow... i see that you are quite passionate about this, but i am having a hard time coming up with a reason why homebrew should be sacrificed so that game costs will come down and sony profits will go up.  it is completely illogical and unfortanately like Xsavior says it doesnt add up.   In 1995 I paid $60 for a copy of street fighter 2 on the SNES, which was outrageous at the time, however are u going to sit there and tell me the same amount of work went into SSF2 as did black ops? the price was the same, so where is this inflation from piracy?  The truth is what we get for $60 is a fricken deal compared to what $60 got you 10-20 years ago... which does not account for piracy or the hundreds of additional programmers that helped make it.  game prices are based on market capacity, not piracy.  you will never see game prices drop as long as the market supports $60 games, has nothing to do with piracy... NOTHING.

Sony is not going out of business because of piracy,,, does a movie theatre go out of business because they have a full crowd and only got paid for %80 of the seats? no they go out of business because they dont fill the seats.  Sony is filling the :censored: out of the seats currently.   

Hazer by your logic, we should outlaw guns to prevent crimes and murders...  take away the right provided for you by the constituiton of the United states of America.  Sounds easy enough right?  Wrong what comes with unarmed population?  more crime for one, and probably much worse is that the government will not fear its people, the power will not exist for a potential uprising or a massacre at capital hill.  Can you imagine congress if they had no fear of reprocussions from working americans?  Taxes go up, policing goes up, next thing you know we live in an even more :censored:ed up society the we have now.... the rich pay even less taxes and the poor pay even more.  Make unlocking your hardware illegal and watch all the law abiding citizens stop doing homebrew and alll the pirates not stop pirating... what the :censored: do you think is going to happen the pirates are going to stop and the prices are going down? comeon

Now VGs and guns are not a direct analogy, however pay attention to the parrallels that do exist.... you want to pay less for your games... fat chance that will ever happen, if anything piracy keeps them honest, because truth of the matter is that 99% of homebrew enabled machines play piracy, but I would put money on the fact that less then 10% of all machines are jailbroken to allow homebrew or piracy... Just because some tard bought all the stock of a microcontroller does not mean that 3 million devices have been sold to unlock hardware, just means 3 million devices were made.   You know what keeps prices down... the fear that if they raise prices, that 10% of hacked hardware would grow exponentially into a number that actually would threaten the viability of the software in the market.

I feel like technologially savvy members who understand how to break a locked device see how easy it is and assume the whole world is doing it.  Unfortanately my time as with the vast majority of others, is worth much more then figuring out how to steal a $60 product,  I would rather buy the game and focus my efforts elsewhere as i do along with %99 of the people I know who game.  However I like the idea, much like I like my 9mm on my hip,  that i do have the power to stick it to whoever wants to push me or test my resolve, because i will be damned if someone treads on me, espeacially a corporation whos ponzi type of business wants to blame my peers for why they are not able to meet "projected growth."  Just like with social security, the system will eventually cave in because there is no new growth, and sony is seeing that along with many corporations being run by supposedly intelligent people.

Piracy is bad, but so are guns, and get rid of either and you will see a much worse outcome then you are capable of envisioning.

I am sorry but as a programmer the responsiblity to make a product that wont be hacked is on me,  unfortanately being reality based i know that if i coded it, then someone else could to, and could reverse that code.  Soo why is it that Sony and M$ cant code a device that wont be broken?  Because they are Lazy and would rather dump resources into commercials on saturday morning then protecting their product. (conspiracy? could be) This gen devices learned from the dreamcasts failures however instead of innovating they recycled PC tech that is understood and hacked even more then on consoles.

Piracy is bad,  I for one would prefer a world where it didnt exist, however taking someones rights away to protects the rights of others is much worse, and can be detrimental to all aspects of consumerism in ways that are unconcievable to us now but will be very clear in the future.  Lastly, since when should a corporation like Sony be able to use the courts as a way fix their own shortcomings, they had the ability to develop a system that was secure, however when they didnt make it good enough, they think the courts should fix it, and that is not going to work, people are going to do as they wish as been shown over and over again throughout the history of the world regardless of what is law or not. thats a fact jack!

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 09:49:55 AM »
i agree now 100% of this guy! well i do agree 100% the same with prohibition in the U.S.  the moment it was illegalized criminals used this to make money and fuel crime.

piracy does not make a difference in price, the market determined 60$ a famous title name was a good selling point they suck now we will have games for at least 50 years in that price.

and the saying it true about guns, guns dont kill people people do. and its true, citizens in the us can own guns, but criminals will always find a way go get them. when the dam liberals try to take the guns away from the civilians then that were pandemonium will occur.

well hazer before Geohot there was piracy already, with the psjailbreak. then Geohot put out his CFW, he purpusly made it so people cant pirate, during the same time the team Failoverflow also was hacking the ps3, they were going to publish there tools publicly, while geohot never actually publish his tools at the beginning.

and you should know a hackers motivation, its not about laws, or piracy or cheating companies, its about the trill of hacking something though to be unhackable and sharing it with the world.

@802Chives i agree with you 100 present.

but getting back to the topic, Team anonymous is hitting innocent bystanders, if they want to get noticed they should hit there pocketbooks with attacks on there main websites.

P.s. thanks to jailbreaking now i am exploring cod4 mp_maps and trying to code a program to port them over, and soon i might be able to port maps from the PC, to a ps3. who would not like to play custom maps in there system? :censored: i do! xD
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:30:27 AM by geraldrubalcava »

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 10:42:25 AM »
not all attempts to protect investment are legit - if Sony wanted to protect their products, they don't have to sell them - once they sell them, property in the units sold passes to the buyer, who can do whatever the want with it. ~Theres a separate matter of intellectual property, which is not owned by whoever bought it in the same way (they receive a limited license to use the  IP) - attempts to lock down the physical hardware like anti-circumvention measures... are specifically protected under the DMCA, but there are specific exemptions to that protection kinda like iphone jailbreaking

http://www.chillingeffects.org/anticircumvention/faq.cgi

http://www.copyright.gov/1201/

just my 2 cents.. so how this will all play out shows what customers want
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:45:21 AM by FOOKz »

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline Crumbz

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
  • Networking & Database Administrator
    • www.asagia.net (Coming Soon!)
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2011, 11:05:34 AM »
wow... i see that you are quite passionate about this, but i am having a hard time coming up with a reason why homebrew should be sacrificed so that game costs will come down and sony profits will go up.  it is completely illogical and unfortanately like Xsavior says it doesnt add up.   In 1995 I paid $60 for a copy of street fighter 2 on the SNES, which was outrageous at the time, however are u going to sit there and tell me the same amount of work went into SSF2 as did black ops? the price was the same, so where is this inflation from piracy?  The truth is what we get for $60 is a fricken deal compared to what $60 got you 10-20 years ago... which does not account for piracy or the hundreds of additional programmers that helped make it.  game prices are based on market capacity, not piracy.  you will never see game prices drop as long as the market supports $60 games, has nothing to do with piracy... NOTHING.

Sony is not going out of business because of piracy,,, does a movie theatre go out of business because they have a full crowd and only got paid for %80 of the seats? no they go out of business because they dont fill the seats.  Sony is filling the :censored: out of the seats currently.   

Hazer by your logic, we should outlaw guns to prevent crimes and murders...  take away the right provided for you by the constituiton of the United states of America.  Sounds easy enough right?  Wrong what comes with unarmed population?  more crime for one, and probably much worse is that the government will not fear its people, the power will not exist for a potential uprising or a massacre at capital hill.  Can you imagine congress if they had no fear of reprocussions from working americans?  Taxes go up, policing goes up, next thing you know we live in an even more :censored:ed up society the we have now.... the rich pay even less taxes and the poor pay even more.  Make unlocking your hardware illegal and watch all the law abiding citizens stop doing homebrew and alll the pirates not stop pirating... what the :censored: do you think is going to happen the pirates are going to stop and the prices are going down? comeon

Now VGs and guns are not a direct analogy, however pay attention to the parrallels that do exist.... you want to pay less for your games... fat chance that will ever happen, if anything piracy keeps them honest, because truth of the matter is that 99% of homebrew enabled machines play piracy, but I would put money on the fact that less then 10% of all machines are jailbroken to allow homebrew or piracy... Just because some tard bought all the stock of a microcontroller does not mean that 3 million devices have been sold to unlock hardware, just means 3 million devices were made.   You know what keeps prices down... the fear that if they raise prices, that 10% of hacked hardware would grow exponentially into a number that actually would threaten the viability of the software in the market.

I feel like technologially savvy members who understand how to break a locked device see how easy it is and assume the whole world is doing it.  Unfortanately my time as with the vast majority of others, is worth much more then figuring out how to steal a $60 product,  I would rather buy the game and focus my efforts elsewhere as i do along with %99 of the people I know who game.  However I like the idea, much like I like my 9mm on my hip,  that i do have the power to stick it to whoever wants to push me or test my resolve, because i will be damned if someone treads on me, espeacially a corporation whos ponzi type of business wants to blame my peers for why they are not able to meet "projected growth."  Just like with social security, the system will eventually cave in because there is no new growth, and sony is seeing that along with many corporations being run by supposedly intelligent people.

Piracy is bad, but so are guns, and get rid of either and you will see a much worse outcome then you are capable of envisioning.

I am sorry but as a programmer the responsiblity to make a product that wont be hacked is on me,  unfortanately being reality based i know that if i coded it, then someone else could to, and could reverse that code.  Soo why is it that Sony and M$ cant code a device that wont be broken?  Because they are Lazy and would rather dump resources into commercials on saturday morning then protecting their product. (conspiracy? could be) This gen devices learned from the dreamcasts failures however instead of innovating they recycled PC tech that is understood and hacked even more then on consoles.

Piracy is bad,  I for one would prefer a world where it didnt exist, however taking someones rights away to protects the rights of others is much worse, and can be detrimental to all aspects of consumerism in ways that are unconcievable to us now but will be very clear in the future.  Lastly, since when should a corporation like Sony be able to use the courts as a way fix their own shortcomings, they had the ability to develop a system that was secure, however when they didnt make it good enough, they think the courts should fix it, and that is not going to work, people are going to do as they wish as been shown over and over again throughout the history of the world regardless of what is law or not. thats a fact jack!

:clap: bravo! that was really well put!

Minecraft Server (Online)
Name: Asagia Realm's
Address: mc.asagia.net:65156

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2011, 11:27:06 AM »
yeah i dont think people should pirate games but there are ways the companies could get around the argument for homebrew etc etc and thats to make the development tools to be able to write your own apps and sign them for your console either free or very low cost then people cant argue its because they want homebrew and the big companies could stop people using the backup argument for games if they each had a way that if god forbid one of your games whent through the :censored:ter you could swap it via mail for a replacement disk for like £1 or £2 as i would happily pay that if my disk got forked but i refuse to pay another £30+ for a game that i already bought. but unfortunatly they are unlikly to do that as well companyies are greedy and arnt happy with just enougth money they want more and more and bigger and bigger profits.

p.s. my ps3 and xbox are stock the only console i backup my games on is the wii as my sister and family use that and well they have a tendancy to leave disks out which my dog perceives as frisbys. also sorry for the bad spelling

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2011, 11:42:29 AM »
oh dear... here we go again... again...

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2011, 12:12:33 PM »
oh dear... here we go again... again...

yep... I'm honestly getting tired of this argument...

Personally, I think geohot is a glory-whoring douche and he's getting what's been coming to him. Karma is a :censored:...

Argue all you want about the reasons for sony doing this, but I never once heard about sony suing DAX and he essentially did the exact same thing (though he did it 10k times better and quieter)... if you ask me this isn't about piracy,hacking, homebrew, OtherOS, or whatever other thing you wanna make it about , this is about openly spitting in sony's face, flipping them the bird and then taunting them to come after you for it... wtf did he expect when he went 100% public and exposed their security methods and the inner workings at a freaking convention? glory-whoring... that's what it's all about... if he hadn't made a bid deal about it and sought the fame he always does, they probably would've left him alone, but the second you put a face to the name they're gonna :censored: all over it... every other 'dev' for any other platform is a name-less, face-less entity online. sure it wouldn't be too hard for a major corporation to actually find that info, but when you just give it to them you make yourself an easier target. it's like going to a gun range with a target painted on your shirt and getting pissed when you get shot, wtf would you expect?

What he did does not fall under any DMCA exemption, not even the encryption research or security testing exemptions.

AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline Sammy

• BST BAN
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +15/-1
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2011, 12:59:15 PM »
Wow, this topic went a little crazy lol its only been up for a day and theres like 20 replies and like 700 views.  :w00t:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal